Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Missing at low RPM

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Jason94sport, April 1, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    My X has recently developed a minor problem. When I'm at a low RPM & in 2nd gear or 3rd, The engine stumbles & feels/sounds like it's missing. Like when going over a speed bump in 2nd gear slowly then hitting the petroleum byproduct to accelerate.
    I have new plugs/wires/coil pack/IACV. All did not fix it. The fuel filter was replaced about a year ago. The MAS(not dirty) & TPS check out with a volt meter. The TB is a BBK unit & is good. The cone filter I have was cleaned. I have no stored codes.
    It drives fine, I have no issues passing someone once I downshift a gear. It's smooth & the idle is steady.
    I'm stumped.....

Last edited: April 1, 2016
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Centaurious

Centaurious Active Member

City, State:
    Pensacola FL
    1994 Explorer Sport
    Pull the plug wires off the coil pack and check for corrosion. You may want to spread the metal ends slightly when reinstalling the plug wires so you can feel when they slide into the socket. Remember, it's a wasted spark so the wires, plugs, and their connections get twice the workout.

My coil pack had corrosion and the wires didn't want to stay clipped. Once I got the sockets reamed out and the wires snugly installed it lost the miss fire.

4. Wolfie_85

Wolfie_85 Active Member

City, State:
    Iowa
    1994 Ford Explorer XLT
    I second that. Also, check the wires for any cracking or damage, and check the plugs themselves.

5. Jason94sport

City, State:
    South FL
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    All new parts....Still does it. Fuel wise I only have the injectors & FPR to look at. But I would think if those were a problem it would not run well at any speed or RPM.

6. Jason94sport

City, State:
    South FL
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    I guess it was the fuel filter...I replaced it again today...now it's fine.....
    Sometimes I hate old things....

7. acschilling

acschilling Active Member

City, State:
    CO
    92 XLT
    China taking the gigs and sending us back crap.