Missing when accelerating up hill...help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing when accelerating up hill...help

Magoo92

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
My 96 V6 Ford Explorer XLT "misses" when I try to accelerate when going up hill. Usually around the 45 - 55 mph area, but as soon as I get to the top of the hill or begin downhill it stops. Could this be the spark plugs? I'm not very auto savvy, but I'd much rather try to fix this myself if at all possible. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds more like plug wires, but if your changing the wires you might as well do the plugs too.

Thanks for the info. Is that something that is fairly cheap and easy to do or should I have someone else do it for me? I've got plenty of time just not much $ having just been layed off

Thanks for the info. Is that something that is fairly cheap and easy to do or should I have someone else do it for me? I've got plenty of time just not much $ having just been layed off

i guess the answer to your question is, what is the level of your mechanical aptitude? changing plugs and wires isn't difficult, but it can be screwed up if you do it wrong. you're looking at about $85 for Motorcraft wires, and about $35 for Motorcraft, or Autolite, double platinum spark plugs for a V8 (a V6 would be cheaper). you can spend less on the parts with off-brand of wires, but i wouldn't use less than single platinum Autolite spark plugs.

if you change the plug wires one at a time you can't get into any trouble there. as far as the spark plugs, as long as your old plugs aren't rusted into the cylinder heads, and you don't break/crack the insulators on the new ones while installing them, it's not a hard job.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Sounds like fuel filter needs replacing.

Sounds like fuel filter needs replacing.

well, if it hasn't been changed in 20K or so it should be changed, but in my experience a clogged fuel filter doesn't manifest itself as a "miss" so much as fuel starvation/loose of power.

Reason I say filter, is I had the exact same thing...good on low grades, but pulling a hill, sputter, stumble, miss, whatever you want to classify it as, the filter was clogged, and replacing resolved the problem immediately. As always, YMMV!

Back