Moab 2006 Chat Thread | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2006 Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some advice from some Moab regulars;
I need a nice scenic trail with awsome views and not too much scary stuff for a three or four hour trail run on Wednesday. I want to impress the wife with the beauty of the place without freaking her out on the first day. :thumbsup: Suggestions please, I have the guide book written by Charles Wells for reference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, i think "lions back" is out of the question. i'm going to have the same challenge....not freakin' the wife out.

Looks like I blew the clutch on the Superduty today.. I just can't win! All I did was change the stock muffler to the BTM muffler. Talk about a pulling the cork on the exhaust.. Old exhaust limited boost to 19lbs, with the new exhaust the turbo is hitting 23lbs and still going up (but the clutch can't hold anymore, so I have no idea what the real limit is now..)

I will be ordering a new clutch on Monday, hopefully I can get it installed before the trip.

That sux Tom. :( Are you going to replace it with a POS stock clutch or upgrade it to a South Bend or LUK one?

Brian, Gemini Bridges is a pretty standard easy run that would work, but for extra scenery and/or views, I would suggest either of the first two runs in the book - Klondike Bluffs and/or Tower Arch. Both of them are WAY below the capabilities of your vehicle and would be very easy runs. Klondike Bluffs have dinosaur footprints fossilized right on the trail - you'll drive right beside them. Tower Arch is actually inside of Arches National Park so once finished you can be a regular tourist and look at countless other arches in the park. If you're willing to spend an hour or so longer for four or five hours (instead of the three or four hours you mentioned) you can combine both Klondike Bluffs and Tower Arch into one run and that makes for a spectacular first impression of Moab. If you look at the map in the Wells book you will notice that the Klondike Bluffs run sort of ends very close to where the Tower Arch run begins, and you can combine the two into one run. NOTE: there is one minor misprint in the Wells book so if you decide to combine the two runs, ignore the phrase on pg. 42 in the Return Trip section that says "at 0.2 miles turn left at a T intersection". When we were there, that didn't work to get us back to Salt Valley Rd to go over to Tower Arch. Just keep following the main trail and you'll be fine. This is the only bad directions I've found in the Wells book, but trying to follow it left me on a goat trail on the side of a mountain that I had to back out of in reverse for several hundred yards while only a foot from a dropoff (which wasn't much fun).

For easy trails with views, scenery, uniqueness (where else can you drive over dinosaur footprints?), and close/quick access to town, I don't think you could do much better than that. Gemini Bridges also qualifies, but the scenery is the Bridges at the end of the run, and there's not a whole lot more before that besides just riding the trail. In Klondike Bluffs and the Arches National Park, you'll be experiencing Moab scenery of many and varied nature the whole time you're out.

tdavis said:
Looks like I blew the clutch on the Superduty today..

If you have a box on the engine turn it off or take it out. When the clutch blew in our Dodge it held fine with stock power, but would let the engine flare up constantly with the box installed. That way I was still able to drive it until we got the new clutch.

Rick said:
If you have a box on the engine turn it off or take it out. When the clutch blew in our Dodge it held fine with stock power, but would let the engine flare up constantly with the box installed. That way I was still able to drive it until we got the new clutch.

The Edge Juice w/Attitude is set back to stock setting. Still slipping some, but not as much. I will be babying it for the next week.

I plan to get a south bend clutch, I'm thinking of the Con OFE. All research shows that the replacement aftermarket luk will not hold with the power the engine is generating. I was lucky - Ford started putting 275HP engines in the 6spd based vehicles in 2001, which is 40+ more hp than the auto's, plus the Edge Juice w/Attitude, the AIS filter and new exhaust means I can easily get over 300hp, probably more in the 325-350hp range, even as high as 375hp in the all out race mode.

Clutch parts is easy - now to find someone local to install it.

tdavis said:
I plan to get a south bend clutch,

Ours is still doing good.

Speaking of power. For 2007 Dodge is introducing a 6.7 liter Cummins :eek: Can't wait to see the power numbers on that beast.

tdavis Right now Dodge is talking the 6.7L will be putting out the same figures as the current 5.9L. [/quote said:
They are using the same numbers as the current engine to keep the other manufacturers guessing as to what the final numbers will be. If they release the spec too early it will just encourage the competition to bump their numbers up to match or beat the new 6.7L.

90ranajo said:
That 325-375hp you're talking about is pobbably a little high. I went to the BD Power Dyno Day yeterday and with the Edge Juice w/Attitude, 4" Dual exhaust, AFE Stage 2 W/PG7 filter, an ATS Ported housing and a Wicked Wheel; I put down 295.7hp and 705.9 ft/lbs at the wheels in the Extreme mode.

Remember, the 2001+ 7.3 PSD with Manual's are 275hp engines, and 7.3 PSD with Auto's are 235hp engines. So I already have 40+ hp from the factory, BEFORE I do anything to it.

The 2007's are mandated to run Ultra Low Sulphur diesel fuel, which is why all the engines are changing (or have changed). The ULSD will be interesting; last time they changed the sulphur levels, seals died and the rate of engine fires went up for a while. This also is going to effect the cost of diesel fuel.. It's finally the same as regular unleaded (instead of being 50 cents more than 92 octane..). Of course, 85 octane jumped in price in the past 4 weeks.

GJarrett said:
Brian, Gemini Bridges is a pretty standard easy run that would work, but for extra scenery and/or views, I would suggest either of the first two runs in the book - Klondike Bluffs and/or Tower Arch................
Thanks, Gerald. Sounds good.

AspenX said:
If any of the semi stock trucks want a good challenge on saturday, Behind the rocks has bypasses that are lots of fun and doable for a truck on 31s.

I would definitely be interested in more challenging trails for Saturday. We'll have to see how many super stockers show up and who is interested in doing what.

BTW my brother and I will be in one vehicle instead of two. My brother picked up a 93 sport a couple of months ago, 5 speed, limited slip rear. As I type, a 5.5 inch lift and SOA is being installed. Not sure what size tires he is planning to run but we are still planning to run with the super stock group. Less than two weeks, I CAN'T WAIT!!

tdavis said:
The 2007's are mandated to run Ultra Low Sulphur diesel fuel, which is why all the engines are changing (or have changed). The ULSD will be interesting; last time they changed the sulphur levels, seals died and the rate of engine fires went up for a while. This also is going to effect the cost of diesel fuel.. It's finally the same as regular unleaded (instead of being 50 cents more than 92 octane..). Of course, 85 octane jumped in price in the past 4 weeks.

According to an article I read, you only have to worry about Fords that are 1993 and older. In 1994 they started using seals that can handle the lower sulper fuel.

We just had a change in schedule pushing our flight to Japan out one week. Now I leave May 10th instead of the 13th. How ironic that this is the same day I was suppoosed to start the drive to Moab :mad: Hopefully they will push the schedule again and I can still catch this trip. We'll see :confused:

Diff Whack Daddy said:
We just had a change in schedule pushing our flight to Japan out one week. Now I leave May 10th instead of the 13th. How ironic that this is the same day I was suppoosed to start the drive to Moab :mad: Hopefully they will push the schedule again and I can still catch this trip. We'll see :confused:
Well, just tell them to reschedule so you can make this trip; I mean, isn't this the west coast Navy? :eek: :confused: :p
That totally blows that you can't go on this trip.

is whitemage still handling the group campsite?

I sent him a pm about getting into it but he hasnt responded...

Got a clutch ordered, it's a new type that is used in the bigger trucks, good to 400hp and it's a southbend clutch based on the spicer design. Supposed to be here Friday, have to find someone to do the install on monday of next week.

:confused:

Im interested in going is it still possible to sign up and what do i have to pay, were is everyone meeting and were is this place, sorry new to the boards.

PM me to reserve a space.

moose1 said:
Im interested in going is it still possible to sign up and what do i have to pay, were is everyone meeting and were is this place, sorry new to the boards.

Moab utah. meeting place is the parking lot of the local grocery store between 7- 8 am. Then go on runs from there. Cost is $1000 cash and I will send you my address to send the money too ;) PM Rick to sign up. Welcome to the board and hope to see you in moab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just sent out emails. All users who signed up using the online form should have recieved a message. I apologize if you recieved more than one copy of the message. I was having a bit of a problem figuring out Yahoo's mass mailing feature.

Here is the text of the email for anyone who may have missed the email for whatever reason...

===============================================================

Moab is only 2 weeks away!! I need to get information regarding our group dinner and raffle on Saturday night. Unfortunately our regular dinner spot, The Branding Iron, has not reopened after their fire.

I have made reservations for us at the Bar M Chuckwagon http://barmchuckwagon.com/

You can go to their website for information regarding location, prices and menu items.

The Bar M Chuckwagon ONLY ACCEPTS CASH.

I need to get an accurate count of those who plan to attend the dinner and raffle. Please respond as soon as you can with the total number of people you will be bringing to the restaurant (if you don't have my email address send me a Private Message). If you have kids that get a special rate (check Bar M's website), please tell me their ages and how many.

For those who have never joined us in Moab before.

Each morning we meet at the City Market Grocery Store which is in the center of town. If you don't see it, ask anyone in town and they'll be able to help you. We usually start gathering at about 8am and are ready to leave for the trails by 9am.

If you come in late in the afternoon... Many of us head to the Moab Brewery for drinks, dinner and conversation.

Here is a list of the trails we are planning on running.

Saturday
Big Dawgs 2 Groups
Jefe's Group - Behind the Rocks
Gerald's Group - Golden Spike

Stock/Superstock
Brian1's Group - Top of the World and Onion Creek

Sunday
Big Dawgs 2 Groups
Jefe's Group - Golden Spike
Gerald's Group - Flat Iron Mesa

Stock/Superstock
Brian1's Group - Thompson Canyon and LaSalle Pass

If you plan on arriving before Saturday you can hook up with others at City Market in the morning and plan your runs out there.

It's very hard to predict the weather this time of year so watch the forcast closely. Be sure to bring plenty of water for the trail. If the sun is shining it will really dry you out quickly no matter the temp.

I'm really looking forward to this!

If you have any questions please post them in the Moab Chat http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142029 thread unless the question is specifically to me.

Rick Horwitz
Admin
Serious Explorations
www.explorerforum.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back