Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion' started by Rick, November 15, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GJarrett

GJarrett Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP

Rick we did it back in 2002; it's the trail that Wipe Out Hill is on. We sort of got lost and meandered around on it awhile but refound the trail again and finished it. Remember? Here's a couple of photos to jog your memory.

Matt going up Wipe Out Hill -
    [​IMG]

Johnstone crossing that offcamber part. Back then he was known as Aquaman :) -
    [​IMG]

Here's a great photo of him going up Wipe Out Hill. You took that photo so you must have been there :D
    [​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. chad551

chad551 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    St.Louis, MO
    2002 Explorer Sport Trac
    I am going to be in town Thursday night. Staying at the Super 8. I would like to get in the group on Friday doing fins and things, and whatever else I am capable of doing. TOW would be nice on any day, or whatever a group is planning. Would like to see a list of trails posted with ratings and kind get a signup sheet for each day. I am going to REI and try to find the trail maps for Moab.

16 days until I leave from St.Louis :D :D

4. MoabB2

MoabB2 Active Member

City, State:
    South Jordan, Utah
    89 Bronco II (97 Mercury)
    X 2. Any kind of planned list would be great!

I just returned from Moab last night, I sure hope it isn't that hot next month! It was 88 degress when we pulled out at 7pm last night! We were down there for the car show, but I did sneak in an easy trail, Picture Frame Arch. It had some really fun sand dunes, but was really easy. I can't wait to get back, 17 days and counting.

5. becker69

becker69 Active Member

City, State:
    Centennial, CO
    01 Sport Trac
    I love those pics Gerald... I think Wells' book lists wipe-out hill as an optional obstacle (with some kind of loop around bypass) is this correct still? I am height challenged and certainly can't do wipeout.... I'll hike it and shoot a ton of pics though :D

6. chad551

chad551 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    St.Louis, MO
    2002 Explorer Sport Trac
    I just got the National Gepgraphic trail map for Moad North. Looks like alot of trails I can handle. I am going to look at it and post some ideas for runs, for 2-3 rated trucks. Hopefully the trail ratings are still correct.

Got my gas tank skid today too!!

Chad

7. Msupertek

Msupertek Axle Annihilator!

City, State:
    Arlington, Texas
    1992 4x4 Explorer
    O.K here is what I have for the Friday Run Thus Far...

meet city market 8:30 to 9:00 a.m. and run (BFE)Strike Ravine (possible Minor threat - its only .26 miles for anyone with 35's and 1 locker who wants to try it)
    Requirement 33 inch tires and some sort of lift (for strike ravine).....

Moabb2
    Moabb2's Father
    410 Fortune
    Msupertekk
    Mudduck
    DB_1
    Positive Vibes
    Mountain Green
    Chad 551
    JTX
    91 Exploder
    Tilt168

Friday afternoon meet 2:30p.m. to 3 p.m. city market Fins and Things
    Recommend 31 inch tires......Unless the trail Has changed much it should be pretty easy...

Moabb2
    Moabb2's Father
    Msupertekk
    Mudduck
    Positive Vibes (?)
    Mountain Green
    Chad551
    JTX
    Becker69
    Chrisis
    FlyBoyCoe
    410Fortune
    DB_1
    91 Exploder

If I have misrepresented anyone or left anyone off please let me know and I'll change it.

That's my Friday game plan...:D

Still waiting to see what Ricks outcome is for Saturday then I'll post what I'm doing on Sunday for anyone who wants to join me...

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  8. FlyBoyCoe

FlyBoyCoe Active Member

City, State:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    '00 Eddie Bauer
    Put me down for Fins & Things.

9. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    I am coming for sure, the BII may be leaking a bit and squeeking a bit this year, I am not sure if I will have the time to fix some of this stuff but we are dragging her out there anyways

I wanted to:
    rebuild steering (bearings in place of bushings, new tie rod ends)
    Sliders (wanted full cage but sliders would be a good start)
    fix friggin cooling leak more (might be able to get this done)
    fix floor shifter (will get this done)
    fix cb antennea mount (will get this done)
    and oh so much more

But screw it, she runs and drives and I have been wheeling the piss out of her so far in 07 and she always makes it home so Moab here we come!

Cant friggin wait!
    Julee and I should be in town Thursday evening

10. Msupertek

City, State:
    Arlington, Texas
    1992 4x4 Explorer
    I'm ready to go as well man.... Can't wait - counting days - ..:D

11. MoabB2

MoabB2 Active Member

City, State:
    South Jordan, Utah
    I hear ya man!

I took the BII out for her maiden offroad voyage (post-resto) on Sunday, and like you there was some squeaking and leaking going on. I had to re-invent my upper radiator hose and yank the whole radiator and install a new electric fan(old one broke to bits) Hopefully most of the other stuff can be resolved before May 17th!

Sliders would be great too, but I don't think it is gonna happen. Can't wait to get back down there!

12. Dignan

Dignan Active Member

City, State:
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    '99 5.0
    I'll go with the crowd, but I want to cast a vote for Elephant Hill on Sunday.

13. becker69

becker69 Active Member

City, State:
    Centennial, CO
    01 Sport Trac
    Thanks for scheduling the Fins run. I'd like to do Strike Ravine with you all as well, but I'm looking forward to wheel with Brian and do Bull Canyon and/or Gemini Bridges...(if that's still a tenative plan for Fri as well ? ) ) as long as I can time it to meet up for running Fins & Things around 2:30

Woo Hoo..... 16 days!!! I'm thinking of leaving a day earlier just to get out there! :D
    :biggthump :chug:

14. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    1991 XLT
    Callsign:
    KG5BAQ
    Well I wont even get to town until about 2 on Friday. I usually do Gemini by myself since everyone else is still on the road or on trails. Last year Perry came along with me. I generally leave Moab around 3 to do those 2 so it would be the same time as fins n things.

Gemini is a short run and I could do it again time permitting on sat or sun if you want Douglas. (It makes a good picture!)

15. becker69

becker69 Active Member

City, State:
    Centennial, CO
    01 Sport Trac
    Sounds good Brian... I'll see about driving it on Sat or Sun with you :thumbsup:

16. DB_1

DB_1 Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
    La Quinta, Ca.
    97 SC Ranger xlt
    You can put me down for the Fins n' things run too. Is the meeting time realistic after doing the area BFE run? Just taking everything into consideration between the drive there, the run, and the drive back.

17. Msupertek

City, State:
    Arlington, Texas
    1992 4x4 Explorer
    Well I have never been to BFE, however from what I have read Strike ravine is the trail which leads to all the hardcore trails. Supposedly while it does have many challenging obstacles it ranges from a 3 to 5 on a scale of 1-10..
    its only about 6.2 miles long and 13 miles away from Moab. I'm guessing its going to take about 3 hrs to run the trail and about 15 minutes each way to get there and come back. All the trucks going so far seem definitely capable of operating on that trail so I don't believe we'll have any catastrophies. After looking at all this I decided I wanted to do two trails because I want to get in as much wheelin as possible. I think we will spend 3.5 to 4.0 hrs at B.F.E. then head back to camp. That would leave plenty of time however I've been known to be wrong so there is always the possibility something crazy happens and holds us up and we run late. I figure once I get there we can exchange cell #'s so if the unthinkable happens we can notify everyone the schedule is altered a little. Hopefully everything goes as planned. While I was planning on trying Green Day which could take some time to complete, I decided to lay off any hardcore wheelin until Saturday and Sunday. I may due minor threat cause its only .23 miles and shouldn't take very long (that's if anyone else wants to do it with me). I'll keep an eye on time and figure out if I have enough time to do it or not.:D

DB_1 do you think we should start earlier, would any of you object to meeting earlier say 7:30 to 8:00 a.m.?

18. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    7:30 or 8 may be tough when I am getting in at 10-11 pm hahaha but in Moab I dont sleep hardly anyways hahaha to damn exciting

19. MoabB2

MoabB2 Active Member

City, State:
    South Jordan, Utah
    I won't be rolling in till 11pm-12am Thursday night. I say stick with 8:30-9.

If we have to, I think we could bump Fins and things back till 5PM Friday or so. That would still give us time to complete it before dark.

20. Msupertek

City, State:
    Arlington, Texas
    1992 4x4 Explorer
    Just checking, we'll stick with 8:30 to 9:00 then. I really don't believe BFE is going to take much time since we are not doing the hardcore stuff. I just wanted to see if anyone wanted to start earlier...:salute:

If the trails look great at BFE (minor threat, green day, etc.) Then I may return Sunday to do some of them. Since it will be my first visit there I am only definitely going to do strike ravine for now.

21. Dignan

Dignan Active Member

City, State:
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    '99 5.0
    I am sharing a campsite at Canyonlands Campground and we have maxed out the parking requirement for our site. Does anybody else at Canyonlands have room for one more explorer? Preferably across the creek so I don't have to cross on foot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.