Moab Expedition Trip April 17-25, 2012 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab Expedition Trip April 17-25, 2012

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Actually, I miss the weather of Denver as it could be sleeting one day and 80* 2 days later..

..and also the weather in St. George, had all 4 seasons with 100 plus in the summer..But it had great thunderstorms every afternoon just like Peoria but without all the tornado's..:D

..But I do miss lightnin' bugs and frog gigging..:p:

..We don't get much snow here but I can usually be found heading to Big Bear everytime they are expecting a foot or more in one Snow Storm..:burnout:

We have lightning bugs here!

Of course, we have lightning, too...

Kansas is the battle ground in the fight of the cold north and the hot south. Just ain't a whole lot to stop the cold Canadian air or the hot Mexico air. So we have major weather swings in a few hours. Nados, lightning bug, lightning, hail, single digit temps in the winter, 110+ in the summer. Rain, drought, floods, and even snow a bit.

..We don't get much snow here but I can usually be found heading to Big Bear everytime they are expecting a foot or more in one Snow Storm..:burnout:

When I left Illinois, I left snow behind :D

Regressions of child hood...

..Your comment got me thinking this morning of my childhood...Although I was a part timer back there I remember 2 seasons...Snow for 9 months and heat wave with 100% humidity, Summer..

..The memory stirred up was one of an eight year old kid, snow, and a willy's jeep..:D

..It had snowed hard for two weeks straight and this eight year old grabbed a snow shovel and headed down the road shoveling snow off of the driveways and walkways to each and every house...

...For the next few days folks came by and dropped off money and food at the house thanking the folks of the young man that gallantly braved the winter weather and to help them out...

...Due to everyone being stuck inside for weeks, little did they know that that young man had just received the privilege to play with a rare item...An original replica of the first Willy's jeep made out of metal...Probably 8" wide and 16" long with a fold down windshield...This rare collectors item had been handed down to his father from his Father..It managed to move down through his 4 uncles and now the eight year old was to take the same care of this fine item..

...Yea, you guessed it...The eight year old took it that he Jeep was to take wheeling outside...The only reason the kid took off shoveling driveways and sidewalks was to go wheeling in the snow...:biggthump

...I folded that windshield down, bent them metal seats forward, sat my butt down on it, and I wheeled the daylights out of that little rig for the next 2 winters and summers until she would roll no more...:burnout:

...Thanks for sending me back to my childhood and letting me share, Doctor Rick..:salute:

..:scratch:...I guess that's why I don't mind wheeling in weather..:dunno:

So it had been handed down from generation, to generation, to generation, and you killed it in 2 years?:p:

...Actually, it was pretty beat up the first season..:D...That's about when I started getting the "Everything is not to be used as a Hammer" lectures..:hammer:

...I wish this trip was starting this weekend...I'm not ready with all the stuff yet but I am eager to go on this trip..:bounce:

Yeah, but you don't need snow chains right now...

Yeah, but you don't need snow chains right now...

..Speaking of which, there's no better time to buy snow chains than the summertime..;)

<---heads off to CL

..Just checkin...

safn1949 and GJarrett, do you guys want to be added to the maybe's list??

..And ScottB, maybe the "Second Annual EF Expedition" ?..Just in case there are more in the future that aren't in the Desert..:dunno:

..And ScottB, maybe the "Second Annual EF Expedition" ?..Just in case there are more in the future that aren't in the Desert..:dunno:

Maybe...

If so, then "Desert Expedition" needs to be in the sub-title.:D

Chains??

I was just thinking, can I run chains on my truck the way it sits now? (box stock, 31" tires) If so I have no idea on what I should be looking for. I would not think of a trip to MOAB without chains if those with the knowledge of the climate think we might have to use them, rather have than have not...... So should they be on the gear list? Even living up here in northern NY I have never gone any where where I might have to chain up. To much of a risk for me as I go solo and conditions could mean some serious trouble for me. I need some "chain advice" how about it? Type, brand, dealers, cost, etc. Thanks. stay safe, Michael

Check out this site: TireChains.com They'll have what you need...

V-Bar are the ones I'm thinking about.

...This post may also prove to be of some help Mike..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2096798&postcount=16

...Each State has it's own chain laws...Utah is no different...Although we will miss their mandated November 1st to March 31st requirement, if they deem certain roads or highways required during snowfall, it could be a hefty fine if you get pulled over and don't have them at least in your truck..:(

..Here is a link to the Utah chain Laws..:biggthump
http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r920/r920-006.htm

...I'll add this in here since the link for Utah was broken at Tirechains.com..This has all the different States snow chain requirements..;)
http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/laws.html#Anchor-Utah-30815

In all the 30 + years I have been going to Colorado and Utah I have never owned a set of tire chains. You are not even required to have them if your truck has aggressive snow tread. From the attached link:

C. When any designated highway is so restricted, no vehicle or motor vehicle shall be allowed or permitted the use of the highway, during the period between November 1 and March 31, unless:

1. Said vehicle is equipped with either:

a. Steel link chains or have chains in possession; or

b. Mounted snow tires; or

c. Elastomeric tire chains, designed for use with radial tires.

2. Four-wheel drive vehicles must have a minimum of two mounted snow tires to meet the requirements.
3. Radial tires without snow tread do not meet the requirements.

Now my BFG AT's have always meet the snow tread requirement. So unless you are running a P rated street only type tire that does not have snow tread you are not required to have chains. And I have never had the need for them. Been over LaVetta and Wolf Creek passes before pushing snow with my front differential. Now I'm not sure what the requirement is if your pulling a trailer. But if you have 4wd and agressive truck tires I see no problem saving your money and not buying tire chains.

...But as in the catholes, does this make it the "right" thing or the legal thing to do?

...Not being judgmental but We (I), try to install into the younger crowd things to be aware of such as proper and legal responsibilities...

..The first post was updated a week or so ago to include a few must haves for this trip..

...This can be found here..
http://www.desertusa.com/canyon/du_can_todomaze.html

Four-wheel drivers in the Maze should be prepared to make basic road or vehicle repairs and should carry the following items: one or two full-size spare tires, extra gas, extra water, a shovel, a high-lift jack, and from October to April, chains for all four tires.

...But as in the catholes, does this make it the "right" thing or the legal thing to do?

...Not being judgmental but We (I), try to instill into the younger crowd things to be aware of such as proper and legal responsibilities...

..The first post was updated a week or so ago to include a few must haves for this trip..

I think this is what you meant...:rolleyes:

...I'm working on my truck, installing stuff, leave me alone..:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have no fear, there is plenty of stuff I'd like to install in the minds of most of today's younger generation...

Back