• Register Today It's free!

MoabB2's SAS Thread

MoabB2

Reaction score
City, State
South Jordan, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Bronco II (97 Mercury)
Ok, now that the thread is started, there is no turning back! I thought I'd get this started to keep a good log of my progress, and get some good feedback from most of you guys who know way more about this stuff than me.

Due to the whole cash-flow thing...this will be a long and slow process!

My intentions with the Bronco II are to have a extremely capable trail rig, while still keeping it somewhat street legal and streetable. It isn't my DD, and will be trailered the majority of the time. Functionality, reliability and cost would be my concerns in order.

Donor Dana 44 solid axle came from a 1977 Ford Bronco. I came across the entire chassis and figured that was my big chance to finally find a disc brake EB D44. Anybody need a straight '77 Bronco Frame?

At the same time I do the SAS I also want to replace the rear 7.5. I am still debating which rear axle to use. I have three EB 9"s and a Disc explorer 8.8 to choose from. I had planned to use the disc 8.8 with a Superior Super 88 set up. My question is, will I run into width issues here vs my front D44?

Plans:
-'77 EB Disk Dana 44
-Yukon 4.88 Ring and Pinion
-ARB
-Yukon 4340 Chromoly shafts
-Yukon Superjoints Ujoints
-Master Rebuild Kit
-Warn Premium Hubs
-Flat top knuckle, Hy Steer conversion
-Sand blast and paint

-Explorer Disc 8.8
-Yukon 4.88 Ring and Pinion
-ARB
-Superior Super 88 Kit, includes C-clip eliminator and Chromoly Shafts, also converts to 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.
-Master Rebuild Kit
-Convert to SOA
-Sand blast and paint

-Extend wheelbase front and rear
-Explorer master cylinder
-EB style front coil setup
-Rear Leafs

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. Anyways, I've accumulated a small collection of new parts and plan to first Build the D44, then the 8.8, and then have them installed with the new suspension. D44 build-up starts this weekend!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a good project! Good luck with it and keep us updated with pics.

I had planned to use the disc 8.8 with a Superior Super 88 set up. My question is, will I run into width issues here vs my front D44?
The plan sounds all good to me but, I don't understand this question. How will there be issues with the 8.8 (rear) vs. D44 (front)?

Are the widths of the D44 and 8.8 close enough?

You might be slightly wider in the rear but probably not even noticable.

I forget exactly how much but a Ranger 8.8 (what I have) is slightly narrower than an Explorer 8.8...I think an inch or so.
BUT, I had mine widened by Currie by 2 inches overall and it's just about dead nuts with the EB D44.

The super 8.8 kit adds an inch to each side so that's why I say your 8.8 will be slightly wider. I'll get some definite axle width measurements for you tomorrow unless someone posts up sooner;)

Off the top of my head:

Ranger 8.8 wms-to-wms=58"
EB D44 wms-to-wms=60"
Explorer 8.8 wms-to-wms=59"?

I've been looking all over for exact measurements...That'd be great if you could find them.

I figured I would be slightly wider in the rear, I just wondered if that would be ok or not.:dunno:

I wasn't able to confirm those measurements today...I got sidetracked over at the neighbors:rolleyes: I'll get them tomorrow though.

Anyways, It won't hurt a thing with one axle being wider than the other. If your **** about stuff like that then visually it'll bother you.

OK, here's another question for ya'll....

My stock '77 knuckles are kinda different because of the disc brakes. Can I use them to convert to High Steer? I had heard that they could be machined flat. Or do I need new knuckles and brakes?(that would suck)

hmm the super 8.8 kit adds 2" I did not know this...but it makes sense, ah well more fender trimming then!!

hmm the super 8.8 kit adds 2" I did not know this...but it makes sense, ah well more fender trimming then!!

Another concern came up yesterday.... With the super 88 you can use a 5 on 4.5 or 5.5 bolt pattern. If I choose to go with the 5.5 bolt pattern, will I need new disc brake components?

OK, here's another question for ya'll....

My stock '77 knuckles are kinda different because of the disc brakes. Can I use them to convert to High Steer? I had heard that they could be machined flat. Or do I need new knuckles and brakes?(that would suck)

Ok, found the answer to my own question. It looks like true High Steer with the Early Bronco knuckles is a no go...And I don't want to fork out the cash for a complete knuckle/brake swap. It looks like TRO is my best option.

Check out this little gem: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html

Yeah, I've read it a few times. Actually, one of his links to Pirate is what mistakenly lead me to think that I could machine flat the Early Bronco Knuckles. I guess it can be done, but isn't reccommended.

Ok, I've really been thinking about going with a 9" instead of the 8.8...

I have both just sitting in my garage.

Disc brake, 31 spline 8.8 or EB 9" shaved and trussed. I'd be replacing the carrier and shafts on either one. On the 9" I'd have to get discs.

Right now I'm thinking 9". Why? Shaved and trussed is cool, should be plenty strong, same width as front, 5 on 5.5, and I could sell the 8.8 easier. I found a disc brake setup for about $450, which is still a lot, but I had heard discs for the 9" with Ebrake setup are 8-900 bucks.

Yeah, I just read that in cgriffin's thread. I didn't want to hijack it though...

I wonder where he got that? I wonder if he has the Ebrake setup too...?

Bringing this thread back to life...anything new to report like which rear axle you are going with? I even forgot about this buildup when we were at Moab, I could've gone over stuff on my truck to give you ideas...and still can:thumbsup:

I wish I could say that I had some real progress to report. Cash has really been limiting me from going forward, you know, family and work and all that has been taking precedence....accepting donations! Just started a new company....it's gonna take off one of these days!

The D44 is built to the hilt and is sitting in my garage waiting to go under the BII. The stock BII front end is still hanging in there, but is on it's last leg. But I can't bring myself to repair any parts on the D28 when it is soon to be scrapped. Powersteering Box is leaking like a civ and steering is all over the road.

So, '77 EB D44, 4.88's, ARB, Yukon Chromolys, Superjoints and Discs is what I have.

I have decided to use the 9" rear. The 9" I have is trussed, shaved and is setup for a 4 link. I decided to go with the 9" because of the strength and access to parts, my brothers and dad run EB's. I will be converting the 9" to Big Bearing outers and converting to Disc as well. 31 spline Chromolys, ARB, etc. Money permitting, this is the next order of business.

My original suspension plans have changed, but I'm still not convinced. I was really impressed with DB1's setup in Moab back in May. With cost being a huge factor, I will probably settle for a coil setup, front and rear. Cage coils front and rear, using cage arms front and rear. I think that would be pretty sick. Comments, suggestions?

I AM convinced that I need more WB and width. I hope to achieve this without chopping up the body too much. One of my goals is to keep the thing looking like a BII, and keep it somewhat streetable. DB1 driving to Moab all the way from Cali is good motivation!

Am I gaining width with the EB D44 and 9" over my D28 and 7.5? I hope so. Also I plan to run 13.50 tires, and possibly wheel spacers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moab October 2007

Here is just another confirmation that a Dana 28 can hold up fine, even with a V8 and 35" tires.......that thing just keeps on pluggin' along.:D

Just a few weeks ago we made another trip to the promised land, Moab, Utah. This was the first trail run that we have had all 4 of our Broncos together on (2 little brothers in Orange and Green, Father in White). The whole family tagged along this time, along with a couple of friends, made for a very fun couple of days.

Arrived on Friday about 4PM and ran Klondike Bluffs on the way into town. My 3 year old boy Jaxon loved seeing the dinosaur tracks!

Saturday we ran Sevenmile Rim, Sunday ran Metal Masher, Monday ran Steel Bender and drove back to SLC. It was quite the test for my BII as I decided not to trailer it this time. I was pleasantly surprised that it made the trip without any problems. GPS confirmed we were cruising about 80 mph!

Only 'breakdown' we had occurred on the last day when a throttle cable snapped on the '66 Bronco, which had just completed a drivetrain conversion not 2 weeks before the trip. Weather was amazing, about 65-70 the whole weekend, and overall the trip was tons of fun.

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

DSCN0526.jpg

DSCN0509.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg