• Register Today It's free!

modification advice please!!!

friedexploder92

Reaction score
City, State
fort worth taxas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
alright ive gotten some good info from here on how i should go about lifting my 96 XLT, also some good places to look for parts, im asking what yall would do to a truck thats going to be driven to and from school on week days and taken fishing, hunting, pulling dirtbikes, and muddin on the weekinds??? what would you consider in this situation, im set on the whole 5 inches for 300 bucks and a set of bfg all terrain 33s and a roof rack for sure, but if anything else what would yall do, just lookin for some advice, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fried, you should start with a search in "Search This Forum" on Modified side of the 1995-2001 model years of this site.

Click my sig link, lotsa fun mods in there. Run a search, too. The possibilities are endless. Just go into the registry forum and scope out people's rigs and get ideas of what you would like..

do you just have a 3 in body lift and the tortion twist and shakels, if so did the 33s fit easily or did you need to do a little trimming

Yessir. 3'' BL, warrior shackles and a twist. My 33s fit, but there was some rubbing in turns, I had to trim some plastic, and they only cleared the sheet metal of the fenders by less than an inch, so I trimmed that too to make sure they didn't catch/rub.

Other [double] post deleted and cleaned up.

Couple inches. It was more of a cut-and-bent-back-and-out-of-the-way than a 'trim'. The guide I followed was the steps posted by user 'dreamr'. He did a great job, and i followed his closely. You can find the first post about it on the page linked below, starting at post #26 and continuing down a few posts after that:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98244&highlight=trim&page=2

thats going to be alot of help, um do you think it would be better to go with extra leafs in the back ar the warior shackles, i mean dose one out weigh the other in pros or cons such as ride or amount of lift and obviously price

I think you're gonna get more lift with the shackles, though I can't swear to it. They're probably easier and are cheaper as well. You can get the warriors shackles for $55-$60 shipped. You'll likely end up doing both down the road anyway, I'm thinking about adding the leaf to mine in the near future, but I'd go with the shackles first.

Id suggest getting an X3 programmer. We have a sponsor on here who does alot of tunes for alot of people (including me ^_^) The guys name is james henson and his site is www.hensonperformance.com He can hook you up with an X3 programmer and 3 custom tunes for $389. I personally got an 87 an 89 and a 93 tune all street/performance and i love it. The tranny shifts firmer, it has better shift points and definately has more power. all in all definately more fun to drive and worth the investment. His number is on his site (top right corner) just call him up and he'll help you get what your looking for and what you need to do. ^_^

so inevidably both, im jumpin around topics but, do you have a hitch receptor in the back cause ive been looking and cant find one, if so could i maby get a site

I do not. I put in tow hooks. Run a search for "hidden hitch" and you'll get a ton of info on what you're looking for.

Id suggest getting an X3 programmer. We have a sponsor on here who does alot of tunes for alot of people (including me ^_^) The guys name is james henson and his site is www.hensonperformance.com He can hook you up with an X3 programmer and 3 custom tunes for $389. I personally got an 87 an 89 and a 93 tune all street/performance and i love it. The tranny shifts firmer, it has better shift points and definately has more power. all in all definately more fun to drive and worth the investment. His number is on his site (top right corner) just call him up and he'll help you get what your looking for and what you need to do. ^_^

CP,

Do you get better MPG with the 87 tune? My truck could use a little kick in the ass, but I don't wanna lose MPG.

naw thats the great thing about it u actually get BETTER gas mileage ^_^ basically it more accurately tells your car how much gas and air to take in getting more out of each bit of gas. Its great ive gained noticably better gas mileage with mine driving 30 miles to and from my moms house on the weekend. Definately a good kick in the ass too lol :thumbsup:

hell thats y i can afford the 93 gas lol im spending like 5 bucks more at the pump bit it almost pays for itself with the gain in mpg and you definately gain more power from the 93 than the 87. Or even with the 89.

im way new to this, so im kinda lost to what yall are talking about, what do all these numbers mean and what exactly does it do

im way new to this, so im kinda lost to what yall are talking about, what do all these numbers mean and what exactly does it do

well the 87 89 and 93 are the different octane ratings of gasoline at the pump. 87=regular 89=plus 93=premium... atleast here those r the ratings. Just think of it this way. Every car since like the 80s has a computer in it that tells your car how to run like fuel to air ratios, ignition timing, it contorlls your tranny shift points ur shift firmness and all kinds of other things. The idea is someone who writes tunes (in this case James Henson) will load a tune onto the programmer suited to your car and mods and it will set all these things to be as efficient as possible giving your car more power using less gas. Its really a great modification and can help get all the power out of your car and optimizes what mods you get later on.

CP,

Do you get better MPG with the 87 tune? My truck could use a little kick in the ass, but I don't wanna lose MPG.

Get rid of the V6!!!LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks CP. If I am ever able to build up some saving with my ****ty job I'll put that high on the list.

Get rid of the V6!!!LOL

And have the front of my rig sag like yours? No thanks. :p:

Back