• Register Today It's free!

Modifying the rear side windows?

Buckshot

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I have a Windstar in addition to my X, and I'd like to make the rear side windows in the X open like the Windstars. Has anyone done this or thought about it?

(Trying to keep the dog from jumping over the seat to stick her nose out the windows....)

Did a search, but the only thing I found was modifications where the window was completely removed and replaced with clear plastic ones like on a jeep. I want to keep the glass, and just make it hinge out from the bottom or rear.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have thought about doing this. I would love to see how you would go about doing it.

I know it would be easy to remove the window, find a way to seal it, and find hinges and a latch. The problem comes with mounting the hardware to the glass. You'll either have to drill the glass or sandblast and epoxy depending on your hardware found. If you know what you're doing with glass and have the tools it may be possible. But I sure as heck wouldn't want to shatter one of those windows while working on it as it would suddenly make the project very expensive.

I just don't see how this is going to keep your dog in the back as the windows only going to open a few inches.

Get a cage. I kind of just like the looks of the cages, and they are only about $40. Easiest way to keep the animals in back. For when you want the seats down there is another $20 lower attachment so they can't crawl under.

Edit: You could also roll down the window more too for the dog and they'd get lots of air in back and don't have to worry about them jumping out. When my dog was a puppy, she'd jump from the back, to the middle, to the front, and into my lap while I was driving trying to stick her head out the window. I didn't get a cage, but she's better at being in the car now.

Thanks guys - I think my own dog hijacked my post! :D

Ok, forget about the dog. How about the windows?

Link...no work.

I don't think they ever made windows like that for the ex. It wold be almost easier to make a slider like some old full size broncos had or like you would see on camper shells.

Stic-o said:
It wold be almost easier to make a slider like some old full size broncos had or like you would see on camper shells.

I think this would possible be more feasible, Some of the 2 door s-10 blazers had sliding cargo windows in them, maybe you could modify one to work.

Like a land rover defender ;)

Back