Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Moonroof and ability to resell

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by docsobeck, June 27, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. docsobeck

docsobeck New Member

City, State:
      Fairfield, OH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2005 Eddie Bauer
      hi all,

i'm in the process of ordering a 2011 limited with the 301A package, and my wife and i are having a "discussion" over the moonroof. (car is for me - she has her own.) i've always thought moonroof were super-cool, but when you get right down to it, i've had one in my current explorer for 50 months now and i've probably used it less than 50 times. so in my view it's not worth $1,500.

my only concern is whether or not lack of a moonroof on a car that's otherwise loaded will make it harder to resell. any thoughts? it's not so much about resale value or whether it's nice to have the moonroof (as in the current moonroof thread), but rather if anyone has any firsthand experience or data as to whether it really matters when it comes time to sell.

thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. drober30

drober30 Active Member

City, State:
      Grand Blanc, MI
      2011 Limited 302A
      If the person buying has to have a moon roof they wont look at yours. As far as $$$, you will lose. The car will be worth no more or at most $200-$400 for the roof.

I would only buy the roof if you personally want it while you own the vehicle. I would not have bought it if it was not dual panel.

4. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      2002 Explorer XLT
      Plus, you have to think about how much that $1,500 would be worth after another 50 month ownership run with this vehicle. You win on both ends in that you get to keep the money in savings or pay down the loan more and you save the interest on the $1,500. You won't get anywhere near that amount back when you sell it. On Edmunds a power glass roof is worth an additional $260 retail on a used 2008 Explorer.

5. NEWPORTNJ

NEWPORTNJ Active Member

City, State:
      NORTH BERGEN NJ
      2017 FORD EX PLATINUM
      At the end of day hey if you like to have a moon roof go for it!! Regardless of what price you get if you ever sell the explorer i have never heard of anyone making real money on selling a car except the dealer so gooooooooooo fooooooooooor itttttttttt !! 1500.00 is just about 30 dollars per month. So if you smoke its one pack less per week it will do you good if you drink skip a pack a week and if you play lotto don't stop you might hit and pay off explorer lol !!!

6. Stang Cobra

Stang Cobra New Member

City, State:
      Redondo Beach, CA
      2011 Explorer Limited 4WD
      This was an option I contemplated as well. In the end, I went for it. I also went with the 301A package because I don't need the Parallel Park Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control, but I did include BLIS which I highly recommend. As for the moonroof, it was because I have an 18 month old daughter that loves looking out the windows looking for birds, balloons, and the moon and stars at night. I didn't get the DVD package to entertain her, so I went for the moonroof. I have had the Explorer for a month now, and used the moonroof about 10 times.

It really is up to what your needs are. $1,500 is a lot of cash, but will you be happy without the moonroof? Think about it for a couple days, and I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

7. Bill #5 Explorer

Bill #5 Explorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Chicago Area
      2016 Explorer XLT
      Simple answer is to use the moonroof more often. On colder/sunny days I open it and crank the heat up (great to do on a sunny March day after the winter dulldrums). On warmer days (early summer and late summer) I open it and crack the AC up and cooled seats. Most of the time it's closed, but it is nice to have the sunlight on you.

Passangers love the moonroof in the new Explorer. Gives them a "voluminous" sensation.

8. sgparnes

sgparnes Active Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      2011 Limited WMetTr/Pecan
      I was told that moon roofs are one option that you will recoup a large portion of your cost when trading.

9. Lucille

Lucille Active Member

City, State:
      NJ
      Explorer XLT '11
      Get the car how YOU want it equipped. Mine has the dual moonroof, and the kids like it, but I hardly use it.
      In fact, the only reason I have it is because I bought my Ex off the dealer's lot. And the car came with it. If I had ordered it, I wasn't going to get the moonroof. I hate the sun in my eyes.
      It's definitely a personal preference.

As an aside - I wish you could open the rear cover without opening the front one!

10. Bill #5 Explorer

City, State:
      Chicago Area
      2016 Explorer XLT
      I don't think this is very true. Very few options are ever recouped in a large protion. Maybe a V-8 or AWD/4x4. But not a $1,500 roof. Sorry. Sounds like this was told to you by your saleperson, because they had it on the lot, and wanted you to buy it.

11. 2nd X

2nd X New Member

City, State:
      San Antonio Texas
      2011 Limited 4x4
      When buying a car you should buy what you want that way you have no regrets, you can't worry about what other people may desire down the road. It's not about money you may or may not recoup it's about you.

12. uniquename

uniquename Active Member

City, State:
      Twin Cities, MN
      '11 XLT
      That's pretty damn good since my 2008 Explorer was $350 for the moonroof and siruis radio.

13. scoobycarolan

scoobycarolan Member

City, State:
      Troy, NY
      '11 XLT
      I'll never buy a car without one. The natural lighting is nice.

14. Bill #5 Explorer

City, State:
      Chicago Area
      2016 Explorer XLT
      Really? $350 in 2008?

The power moonroof on my 2005 (XLT) and 2007 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) was $850 in both instances.

15. BethesdaEC

BethesdaEC Active Member

City, State:
      Ellicott City, MD
      2011 Red Explorer Limited
      Never, I repeat never buy a feature on a car for resale value. Sure it will sell for a little more than if you didn't have it, but the recapture of the initial investment will be pennies on the dollars (30 to 50 pennies probably).

However if you like the feature, get it and enjoy it.

16. IamJAd

IamJAd New Member

City, State:
      So. Cal
      '11 Ford Explorer Limited
      My recommendation is, if you're worried about resale, look at Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com), go back however many model years you like, and see if a moonroof was a factor on increasing the value of the vehicle. If not, then it won't be a factor for any dealer taking in your trade. It might be important to a private party buyer.

I got the 302A, but I can just about assure you that BLIS or Adaptive Cruise won't be a kbb.com factor. I leased, so in the end, it doesn't matter to me.

17. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
      It's a wash- when looking at used cars, even if it has a moonroof, it may be missing another option, or have different miles. I don't think it affects it one way or the other, and if it even does, no way would it affect it as much as miles, drivetrain type, or even overall maintenance records/upkeep.

18. uniquename

uniquename Active Member

City, State:
      Twin Cities, MN
      '11 XLT
      Yes, it was something like "sun and sound" in a special package. I wanted the moon roof anyway, but I jumped on that.

19. myfoot

myfoot Member

City, State:
      Illinois quad cities
      2017 Platinum
      My wife gets a moon roof on every car she buys ,but really hardly ever uses it. But you should buy whatever you want. I don't worry about the resale value at trade in or sale time.

20. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      2002 Explorer XLT
      My wife does too. She has a bad habit of driving around with the sunroof open and the AC blasting away.

21. GCDMD

GCDMD Active Member

City, State:
      Minden, NV
      99 Limited V8
      Definitely get it, even though we never really open the roof in my wifes new escape, (and it's not nearly as impressive as the X's) it is a joy to just have some natural lighting and the ability on a hot day to have some fresh air.
      1,500 bucks isn't much when you consider the length of the loan, if it's a loan.

22. uniquename

uniquename Active Member

City, State:
      Twin Cities, MN
      '11 XLT
      The dual panel really does help with the charcoal interior. I think it would be pretty cave like without it.

23. GCDMD

GCDMD Active Member

City, State:
      Minden, NV
      99 Limited V8
      That's the interior color of my wife's escape. It helped tremendously. For a light interior like beige, I think it would still add alot to the ambience. I was initially skeptical of the sun/moon roof idea due to possible leakage/wind noise etc, but I was pleasantly surprised how silent it is and how tight those seals are. They have vastly improved the fit/finish of new cars.
      Do it!!!!

24. Rocketfan

Rocketfan Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      93 Explorer XLT
      Resale value should not play into the decision (except as a rationalization) because this is really just personal preference. The moonroof will not impact resale as much as it will impact your bottom line up front $1500 (plus with present value of money, up to $200 6-10 years from now v. $1500 today is really nothing). If you or your family enjoy and use moonroofs (for light/ air) and you can afford it, its worth it because you will be driving this car for years.

Personally, I like the idea of moonroofs and have had them in every other car I have ever owned (but since I ended up having to order my Explorer, I decided to save the money because I realized I almost never use it (and when I do it is just for the novelty of sticking my hand up in the air). Driving the Ex the last few weeks, I really don't miss it but then again, I was never one to use moonroofs much anyway and the threat of not having enough light or sun in Southern California (i.e. feeling like I am in a cave with the black interior) is really remote.

25. docsobeck

docsobeck New Member

City, State:
      Fairfield, OH
      2005 Eddie Bauer
      i hand't thought of the lighting issue. i'm getting charcoal black with pecan inserts, and i guess it will be pretty dark.

my wife has been trying to talk me into the moonroof for a couple of days, and she's starting to make sense. i HATE when that happens...

what the hell... when paying almost 40 gs, another 1300 won't kill me.

thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

26. kuee

kuee New Member

2016 Explorer Sport
      I specifically ordered mine the way I wanted it because all the Limited ones I could find on the lot had about $2500 in options I did not want including the moon roof and chrome 20" wheels. I put that money back into a 4WD and AC seats instead. A must in Texas with black leather interior.