• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof opens by itself

mjh-Canada

Reaction score
City, State
Chelsea, Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I have a 2017 XLT, that has twice opened the moonroof when I started the vehicle.
No one had been playing in it or been near the switches.
Anyone else see this or is this part of the electric gremlins that I am seeing...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess that there may be an issue with the switch or motor that controls the moonroof. There are 2 switches/motors, the other one controls the shade. If still under warranty, you may want to take it to the dealer.

Peter

I would guess that there may be an issue with the switch or motor that controls the moonroof. There are 2 switches/motors, the other one controls the shade. If still under warranty, you may want to take it to the dealer.

Peter
Thanks Peter, and for the change to Moonroof.
So now three things to go back with.
Do you know anything about the rear suspension recall?

Thanks Peter, and for the change to Moonroof.
So now three things to go back with.
Do you know anything about the rear suspension recall?
If you are referring to recall 17R01, it only applies to Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba although those that regularly drive on roads where mud is present and are concerned about mud build up are eligible for a one time free replacement of the rear suspension toe links.

Peter

Th
If you are referring to recall 17R01, it only applies to Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba although those that regularly drive on roads where mud is present and are concerned about mud build up are eligible for a one time free replacement of the rear suspension toe links.

Peter
That is the one. I live in Chelsea on dirt roads... I will ask the dealer if it is a newly designed part or just the same...

How was this moonroof issue resolved? Our 2015 X is doing the same thing and winter is coming on fast !! Dealer had no idea as we were'nt able to replicate the issue. (of course). I changed battery on the key and may change out the the main battery. Any other help would be appreciated.

Peter

My new "go to" local dealer here in Ottawa performed the 17R01 recall on my Explorer :)
During the PTU, ETB and transmission replacements, they went ahead and took care of the rear endlinks recall, which is a blessing in disguise, as I do drive on unpaved gravel road when going to the cottage.

How was this moonroof issue resolved? Our 2015 X is doing the same thing and winter is coming on fast !! Dealer had no idea as we were'nt able to replicate the issue. (of course). I changed battery on the key and may change out the the main battery. Any other help would be appreciated.
I have been keeping the shade closed. I think there is an interlock that would keep the glass closed if the shade is in place.

I have been keeping the shade closed. I think there is an interlock that would keep the glass closed if the shade is in place.
If the shade is completely closed and you open the moonroof, the shade will automatically open to the first position.

Peter

First thing I would do is unplug the switch in the overhead and see if it happened again. If not the switch might be bad. If it does it again, I would look for a screw or something else rubbing up against a wire going to the motor in the over head. I had a Dodge Caravan once a trim screw rubbed up against a wire going to my rear wiper. The wiper would just start on its own going down the road then stop. I followed the wire harness back and found the problem.

I’m sure there is a fuse you can pull until you have the time to have this fixed properly.

Unplugging the switch harness is a good idea as well.

Fuse #8 in the engine bay is for the moonroof.

Peter

Thanks all. It has happened once more in the last maybe 8 or so days. Gremlins indeed

Hey gang,
Ok this is weird. Twice in the last week and a half after I have remote started the X, stepped inside the vehicle then pressed the start button the moon roof starts opening by itself. I close it and go about my drive. This is totally random. Can not reproduce it and has only happened twice when car was remotely started. That's the only "for sure" thing I can tell right now. Although I am extremely happy it has not happened the last week I would really like to know why it ever did. Could a battery be dying in my fob cause this? If anyone else had this happen could reply so that I dont feel all alone with this gremlin. thanks
Fred

Welcome to the Forum Chad.:wave:
In going through the above posts it seems that the issues may have corrected themselves or were just intermittent. If anyone had it fixed, please advise. Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter
Yes please advise. It has happened 3 times in the last week. I can’t make it happen though. I’ve tried wiggling the key and sunroof switches with and without the key on and can’t seem to figure out what triggers it.

Back