Moonroof Shade Only Closes Over Rear Window | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof Shade Only Closes Over Rear Window

squeakyec

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I just sold my 2016 Explorer with the dual-panel moonroof. Of course right after the buyer got the vehicle home he stated the shade will only close and cover the rear panel not the front.

When I owned the it I hardly ever operated the shade as I always preferred to have the light come in. A couple questions:

1. Normal operation of the shade is press the button and it closes all the way or is there a pause between the two windows??
  2. I have seen some suggestions that the shade motor could be bad. If that were the case would it close only over the rear window and not the front?
  3. I have seen other suggestions about initializing the motor but have not seen instructions which appear to be applicable to this year.
Any other suggestions/thoughts?

You need to press the button twice, as it will stop after the rear window (it's not continuous).
Could be a loose track, if it doesn't move again.

Welcome to the Forum squeakyec.:wave:
As mentioned above, it is a 2 part operation. It is somewhat described on page 90 of the Manual.

Press and release the control to open the sunscreen.
Note:The sunscreen stops at the first panel
for the dual panel moonroof. Press and
release again to continue to open the
sunscreen past the second panel.

Although it doesn't mention the closing part, it is the same 2 step operation.

Peter

Back