Moonroof Will Not Close | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof Will Not Close

Hey Peter, no problem with posting the procedure. I am changing the moonroof motor myself. i too am thinking that because the moonroof motor is bad that it has something to do with the shade not closing all the way. Will post my findings once i change the motor which should be in 2 week. Thanks for the help Peter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys just an update. Once i replaced the moonroof motor all is good. i also cleaned out the drain holes as the drivers side was clogged. Thanks for the help.

Would the tilt motor work if the slide motor is dead?

After months of nothing, last Friday I found the glass had tilted up without me pressing a button and I couldn't close it.
45 mins later, there was smoke coming from the headliner and the area around the Bluetooth microphone was hot.

After months of nothing, last Friday I found the glass had tilted up without me pressing a button and I couldn't close it.
45 mins later, there was smoke coming from the headliner and the area around the Bluetooth microphone was hot.

That sounds like the switch was stuck so it keep current on the motor. I’ve seen a stuck door window switch catch a door panel on fire before.

Tilt and slide are controlled by the same motor. The sunscreen has it's own motor. Sounds like you need a new motor for the glass panel.

Peter

Hi how is everyone doing?

So. I am having the same issue with my 14 explorer sport, water got inside due to clogged drains, sun shade only worked from the rear half to the back only, just like the shared video and the tilt/slide is completely dead.

After reading this entire post I went ahead and replaced the glass motor which was in the passenger side not the driver. It worked before I put the interior back together and when I tested again nothing happened. Both glass and shade are dead now. I went and replaced fuse 8 and 38 although they were good and checked the harness for current and is fine.

My only question now is if the switch could be damaged or if there's a relay somewhere in the car that I should also check or simply a set up procedure that has to be done in order to make this thing work.

I haven't been able to clean the drains because the roof doesn't work so if it rains again I'll be back to square one.

Any suggestions ?

.........My only question now is if the switch could be damaged or if there's a relay somewhere in the car that I should also check or simply a set up procedure that has to be done in order to make this thing work.

Any suggestions ?
Re-initializing the glass panel motor;
Moonroof Will Not Close

Since it worked before you put everything back together, have you tried taking it apart to the see if it still works as it did before?

Peter

Moonroof Will Not Close

Since it worked before you put everything back together, have you tried taking it apart to the see if it still works as it did before?

Peter[/QUOTE]

Thanks for replying!

Yes I did take it apart and tested it. They didn't work. One of the motors is brand new and it worked the very first time I plug it in and the other was the shade motor which was also working.

I'm scratching my head here!

I'm having trouble with the moonroof closing. I opened it all the way but when I tried to close, it just stayed fully open. Here is what I have done so far:

1. Checked fuses 38 and 8 and both were good.
2. The shade button WAS working initially so I think power to the switch was not a problem.
3. I switched the shade motor on the passenger side with the drivers side motor on the left. At that point, the glass started to close but then stopped about 3 inches short. The shade also started to close (but would not reverse). The shade also stopped working.
4. I have unhooked both motors from the track and left the connected just to see if the motor itself would run. Neither of them do anything.
5. Ordered a new motor and installed it but nothing happens. Tried it on both passenger and drivers side.
6. I have tried the initialize steps (door open, start, off, start, press tilt for 1 second, then hold for 20 seconds). It doesn't change anything.

So at this point I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

EDIT: This is for a 2011 Ford Explorer.

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
After you swapped the motors and they worked for a while did you go back and verify that the fuses are still good?

Peter

Any update??

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
After you swapped the motors and they worked for a while did you go back and verify that the fuses are still good?

Hi Peter,

Yes, I did. I checked the fuses even after swapping the new motor in. It was one of the last things I tried actually.

I am wondering now if I have a problem with the switch itself. Anybody know if there is a way to hotwire that switch plug? Maybe by using a spare piece of wire and connecting the power to the wire that would close it?

At this point I don't even care if the moonroof works, I just want it shut.

One more update: I used a test light and confirmed I have power to the wire connector that connects to the motor.

Old post but Hi and thanks for all the great feedback. Wondering if anyone can provide a video or you tube of how to replace the glass motor? I have the same problem with my 2014 Explorer. Tilt open and wont shut. Tried a new switch and no change. Shade works. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Forum Jackie.:wave:

Peter

Old post but Hi and thanks for all the great feedback. Wondering if anyone can provide a video or you tube of how to replace the glass motor? I have the same problem with my 2014 Explorer. Tilt open and wont shut. Tried a new switch and no change. Shade works. Thanks in advance!

You have to pull down the front of the headliner which really isn't that big of a job. I can do it in less then 10 minutes. Here is a youtube video that may help.

Thanks blwnsmoke! Wish me luck! Later.

I actually just had to replace my glass motor. One day it started to open, the stopped half way and would only move an inch at a time with each successive press of the button. Managed to get it closed again and then it completely died. Shade motor worked fine. My front driver-side roof drain had gotten clogged. Took front driver side wheel and wheel well cover off and cleaned the drain tube end and then all the water stuck in the tube drained out. Replacement of the motor was fairly easy. Cost me $171 for the new motor and my local dealership printed out some schematics of how to take the headliner down. I was able to just take the vanity mirrors down and the switch/light assembly and pull the headliner down enough to make the repair without removing the whole headliner. Once I replaced the motor, it still wasn't working until I did the re-initialization procedure with the switch (roof will travel and re-learn it's maximum path distances).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back