• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof wont close

evilgeek

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
My sunroof has started acting crazy. The vent function still works normally, but after sliding the sunroof open, it wont close again. It tries to, but then reverses course back to open.

Luckily I found a thread where somebody had a similar issue in a gen 5, which has the reset procedure:

With the driver's door open, accessory mode on, accessory mode off, accessory mode on, short press sunroof close button, long press sunroof close button...

This does work to close the sunroof, but the reset doesn't seem to "hold". I have to do it again every time, which means I can't close the sunroof while driving, I have to be parked. Very annoying, and I guess I'll be in for my first warranty work. (and while I'm at it will bug the dealer about all the missing parts)

:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a Body Control Module issue. Likely a reprogram or a replace.

Any update on this issue?

Peter

I've actually been out of town on business for the last couple weeks so haven't had a chance to take it in yet. Will update when I do.

Update:

Finally got the Explorer into the dealer this week. They kept it 3 days, and ended up replacing the overhead control console (which has the buttons for moon roof, sun shade, and dome lights) due to one bad bad switch. Covered under warrantee.

I'm glad to see that it was fixed for you. I'm guessing that the switches in the 6th gen aren't as easy to replace as in the 5th gen.

Peter

Back