• Register Today It's free!

More Engine Noise...

Tyleryac

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
1st video. Warm engine at idle. Sound seems to be coming from drivers side.

2nd video. Shut down warm engine.

What's going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chain noise / Valve-train noise.

I figured. Do I have anything to worry about for the next year?

I can not answer that. I have zero experience with the 4.0 V6 motors. But with the 4 timing chains and some catastrophic failure I have seen of them, I would pull a timing chain cover or rocker cover to see what is going on.

Do you think I should have my mechanic look?

Also, what timing componet(s) can be replaced WITHOUT engine removal?

I went to see my mechanic today and he told me that he doesn't deal with chains and told me to take it to the dealer ASAP....here we go with the $$$$$

Start with replacing the tensioner, $70 part. Also make sure oil is in good operating range. I am starting to get into this problem with mine, I have the tensioners at home I just need to spend the time to put them in.

You might get lucky and find it to be the front tensioner is broken which can be fixed in the truck. You can't do the back timing chain with the engine in the truck and the lower balance shaft tensioner is a bear to do in the truck.

The main front tensioner can be changed by a novice mechanic, no special tools are required. If the tensioner going to the drivers head is bad then you will need to reset the timing for it to run corrrectly.

This is why it's at the dealership.

I don't want any mechanic doing engine work. I went to my regular mechanic and he recommended taking it straight to the dealer.

If the engine needs to be taken out for the rear chain, should I ask them to do anything else such as the rear main seal?

Just heard back from the dealer...they said that the cassettes are shot and all three chains need to be replaced. $4,300.

(whistle) OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

WOW... Not cool. Bummer to hear that. You should call around and get some quotes. Now that you know it needs an entire timing chain job (according to ford dealer ship). Also, try other Ford dealer ships. GM dealerships have HUGE price variations for the exact same thing. Its very frustrating...

Might as well buy a new motor for that cost. The stealership is always going to charge you out the you know what for major repairs. I would price out a 4.0 crate motor or see how much a used one would be.

It's a good bit of labor, hence the high price. Most ford dealers charge over $100 an hour and it as a good 15 hour job.

If your truck was a 2wd it would save you 4 hours there. The balance shaft tensioner is in the oil pan and it is like 60 bolts just to get the damn pan off. It's a long process to put it back so it doesn't leak also.

There are plenty of people outside of the ford dealer that is capable to do this job, you just have to find someone who has done it before and has the right tools. I used to do a ton of side work and could start and finish a set of chains in a weekend no problem, then I had kids.......

A new motor would have cost $6,500.

What should I ask Ford to do while motor is out?

Unless the rear main seal is leaking there is nothing else to be done to the engine. All other gaskets will be replaced in the process. It would be a good idea to do the water pump if yours is original still.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A new motor would have cost $6,500.

I had a re-man installed for about $5000 (parts/labor). Came with a 3 year/unlimited miles warranty.

I had it done by a local shop, not a dealer. The engine came from PowerTrain Products.

Back