More horses | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wes_99ebx

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie Bauer 5.0 V8
I just recently bought a 99 5.0 EB. I bought an explorer cause I wanted to learn how to work on my truck, customize it and upgrade it myself, and cause I've always really liked these trucks. Until a couple weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about cars, and since my purchase, I've been pouring through this site voraciously for info, so much that I'm failing a couple classes now. Right now I'm looking at my options for upping my hp, but I'm a student, so I have a tight budget. Very glad I found a 5.0 for a good price.

I wanted to get a cone filter for a CAI, and leave the rest of the intake stock to save money, since I heard the stock tube isn't really that restrictive. I've been trying to find a filter that will fit, but I can't find any specifically for the 99 5.0. Does this mean I just need an adapter?

I also wanted to upgrade the exhaust but Im not sure how I should go about that. Ive heard the Mac cat back is a great option, and I like the idea of installing it myself, but I've also heard cat back kits are a waste of money, and its better to find a good muffler and have a local shop do the rest. I'd really prefer to do it myself as that was the idea behind buying this truck. My ex is my daily driver so I don't want to have to wait for a shop to get around to it, but I also don't want to throw away $300 on what could end up being just a glorified fart can.

Additionally, I wanted to know where I should go after that, horsepower-wise. Obviously I would want to get better headers (been on the site for 2 weeks and already Torque Monster Headers are etched in my brain.) I was looking at tuners, but that's all way over my head. I would want to be able to change the tune myself fairly easily, depending on my needs (mpg tune for the average school day, hp tune for special occasions.) Is that even possible? How steep of a learning curve to most tuners have, and how much can I do myself?

My biggest need is just more resources so I can learn more. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from the site, but I'm more of a visual learner, and many of the links to pictures don't work anymore. I gotta say though, I am totally stoked on this site. I've learned a ton, and I'm super grateful to everyone who takes their time to answer these questions and write about their builds.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just eager to learn!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your truck is an AWD probably the best power mod for it would be to swap out a manual 4x4 trans case.

torque monster headers, cut out the cats and run mandrel bent straight pipes into a good muffler and a 3 inch tai pipe out

I would leave intake alone as its pretty good stock, but if you want i would get the "mac" CAI kit that some people run on this site. (It has pretty good reviews)

swap your AWD transfer case for a "bw4406 transfer case out of a similar year f150 and you will have 2wd, 4lo, and 4hi,

then talk to James at Henson performance about a "programmer"
tell him your mods and goals and he will set you up with three (i think) tunes so you can basically switch on the fly between.. towing mode, max hp mode, max mpg mode, towing with 91 octane mode. or whatever kind of tunes you would like.

theres my .02

It's a truck not a race car.
Like the guys say the manual shift TC is a great mod.
With low range you will have plenty of power and torque to go 4 wheeling..which should be the second reason for buying the explorer imo..the first is just because it looks cool..lol.
It will never get great gas millage..don't chase that.
To me cai is a waste of money.
Now as far as the exhaust i might put duals out the back with glass packs just because I love the sound..not that it will actually make it any faster...but it will sound faster..lol.

Not to be a party pooper but save your money for wheel bearings..end link kits..brake lines..maybe even tranny lines...sensors...stuff like that.

Enjoy your ride!

And get those grades up!

lol

With low range you will have plenty of power and torque to go 4 wheeling..which should be the second reason for buying the explorer imo..the first is just because it looks cool..lol.
Now as far as the exhaust i might put duals out the back with glass packs just because I love the sound..not that it will actually make it any faster...but it will sound faster..lol.

Not to be a party pooper but save your money for wheel bearings..end link kits..brake lines..maybe even tranny lines...sensors...stuff like that.

Enjoy your ride!

And get those grades up!

lol

that is a good point.. if your on a "tight budget" your probably better off keeping that money for maintenance and repairs.. especially with a 14 year old truck..

torque monster headers, cut out the cats and run mandrel bent straight pipes into a good muffler and a 3 inch tai pipe out

I would leave intake alone as its pretty good stock, but if you want i would get the "mac" CAI kit that some people run on this site. (It has pretty good reviews)

swap your AWD transfer case for a "bw4406 transfer case out of a similar year f150 and you will have 2wd, 4lo, and 4hi,

then talk to James at Henson performance about a "programmer"
tell him your mods and goals and he will set you up with three (i think) tunes so you can basically switch on the fly between.. towing mode, max hp mode, max mpg mode, towing with 91 octane mode. or whatever kind of tunes you would like.

theres my .02

This being my daily driver, I cant exactly cut out the cats. What about the ability to switch in and out of 4wd increases HP?
That tune from Henson performance sounds perfect.

Enjoy your ride!

And get those grades up!

lol

I'm not really chasing it, but any way of increasing hp AND mpg is a plus.

A CAI is a waste of money, but glass packs aren't? Of course I like the idea of a more impressive sound, but from pipes that are actually doing something for my performance. Slapping a loud muffler on my exhaust for kicks would be like putting a ferrari emblem on a honda... not fooling anyone. And wouldn't duals actually reduce my back pressure to the point where I'd be losing hp? Or am I mistaken?

Good to know thats what I need to look for as far as repairs. The truck's really clean, and had low mileage, so hopefully she'll wait a bit before she starts falling apart on me.

I'm not really chasing it, but any way of increasing hp AND mpg is a plus.

A CAI is a waste of money, but glass packs aren't? Of course I like the idea of a more impressive sound, but from pipes that are actually doing something for my performance. Slapping a loud muffler on my exhaust for kicks would be like putting a ferrari emblem on a honda... not fooling anyone. And wouldn't duals actually reduce my back pressure to the point where I'd be losing hp? Or am I mistaken?

Good to know thats what I need to look for as far as repairs. The truck's really clean, and had low mileage, so hopefully she'll wait a bit before she starts falling apart on me.
I was just sayin' that I would spend the money for pipes just for the sound..and btw it would prolly increase back pressure..think about it.
Nowhere the same as putting ferrari stickers on a honda..lol.
But to each his own and good luck making it fast and furious!

Wes i did a CAI on mine, very inexpensive. i think it is on page 3 or page 4 of my build, (see link below) the 5.0 likes it.

That's it, I'm subscribing... too much good stuff there haha

I was just sayin' that I would spend the money for pipes just for the sound..and btw it would prolly increase back pressure..think about it.
Nowhere the same as putting ferrari stickers on a honda..lol.
But to each his own and good luck making it fast and furious!

Yeah, I see your point. I guess I'm just hesitant to go with glass packs because of the stigma. And the 5.0 has a nice rumble as it is, so it wont need too much to up it a bit

Back