Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

More Issues

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by That-Guy, August 5, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. That-Guy

That-Guy New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 Explorer
    I was backing up to a trailer, when I put it in reverse it wouldn't engage. I has no resistance when shifting and is stuck in overdrive. I messed with the cable to get it started and parked it in the yard. I determined it is some form of bracket that goes around the steering column that rusted and finally broke. Can I replace just the bracket, or do I have to get a new steering column? Has anyone had this happen on any auto vehicle and where did you get the part?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    STL MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    I would just go get another steering column from a Junkyard. There not that hard to remove & install.

4. That-Guy

That-Guy New Member

94 Explorer
    Ok so I got a whole new steering column from a wrecked explorer (a 92 or 96, not sure which). It turns out the whole tube thing that turned was rotted not the bracket. After a few hours of bolting and wiring hell I got it together. Well somewhere along the line I broke a tiny little clip for the cable to shifting bracket connection. It connects like a trailer its a ball and a clip holds it on. It stays on a little but I can see it coming off a month from now. I went up to ford and they told me they couldn't sell me just the clip, and I had to buy the whole cable for $90!:mad: Does anyone know where I can get a clip or how to improvise one? I don't think a plastic tie will work.

We Support Our Troops!