More Power!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More Power!!

Ok guy's this is going to sound a little weird, but the other day I was challenging my friend to a burnout contest with my explorer, I have the 4.6L V8 with the posi 3.73 rear end,it has no problem spinning the back wheels but only to about 20mph, it left about a 7 foot burn out and then started to stop like it lost power, I really never beat on the car just have a little fun every now and then, I also know it only puts out 240hp and 280 somthing foot pounds of torque but the reason why I think it struggles is because the clutch fan and all the accessories, I really want to get more power out of it so I can have some more get up and go, I was wondering what could I do to achieve this, just a few things on top of my head are (93 octane tune, 6k rpm tune, clutch fan delete, headers, full exuast/ straight pipe, and add a cold air intake). im trying to atleast get in the 300 hp 300ft lbs of torque. I will later get into a blower, but I wonder how many psi of boost the stock 4.6 can take as well as the stock transmission so if anyone can let me know how much hp i could possibly make with those few mods or what other mods i can do to gain the extra power i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may get some info here, but you probably need to ask this on a Mustang forum. There's a few of them. I know our aluminum block isn't the greatest and has its limits.

CAI and exhaust will help, but watch out on the exhaust, eliminate the back pressure and you can lose power.
6k RPM tune probably won't do much without a high stall torque converter ($900.)
A few of us have done the E-Fan conversion, but to my knowledge, no one dyno'd their Ex before and after.

A cam upgrade would probably be your best means of power increase.
I've only read threads on this, not chased after any upgrades personally.
And I've been getting pretty lousy sleep lately, so keep that in mind. No Holiday Inn Express for me.

Perhaps we can get [MENTION=111113]2000StreetRod[/MENTION] to answer some. Couple others but my mind fails to recall them at the moment.

Thanks for the info, I'll be doing additional research today!

weakest element

I have no direct experience with the 3rd generation Explorer but I've been reading about them for the past year. The weakest item in the power train is the 5R55S/W transmission. I was surprised that Lincoln used the 5R55S in the Aviator with the 300 hp 4.6L DOHC V8. I wouldn't go higher than your target of 300 fhp without beefing up the transmission. The stock block is strong and will handle much more than your target.
I doubt that switching to an electric radiator cooling fan will add much power. Nor will a "cold air intake" especially if it is actually a warm air intake like most cone filter aftermarket units. I suspect that the most cost effective mod may be a custom tune. Fuel economy and emissions reduction were a high priority for Ford to meet government goals. Your goals are different and can be reflected in your tune.

By the way, the acceleration rate for spinning tires is less than for non-spinning tires because the coefficient of friction for the tires with the road is less.

You might enjoy the following thread about supercharging a 3rd generation Explorer: Kenne Bell Supercharged Explorer...
For enjoyable street driving I prefer a mild boosted supercharged engine. The supercharger can be fairly expensive but so can high performance engine internals (camshafts, pistons, rods, crankshaft, heads, etc.). I plan to eventually install a supercharger (8 psi boost) on a basically stock 4.6L DOHC V8 in a 2002 Explorer with a modified intake and fuel system.

Sweet, I appreciate all of the help! Maybe swap out the 300 hp engine from that Lincoln in the explorer and then maybe supercharge that add a tune, headers and full exuast and possibly make around 500hp with maybe 10 psi of boost, the transmission will definitely be beefed up and my rear end will be rebuilt as well, if I swap a different motor in I will definitely upgrade cams, heads, pistons and ect. So I can aim for 600 hp I know it will be alot of $ but it will be one of its kind!! ;)

Drive it respectfully so it will last, otherwise you are just asking for trouble with the known trans issues, wheel bearings, rear diff, etc. Get a sports car instead.

I'm not going to run 700 horses through the stock trans, much less 450, I'm looking for somewhere to get it built to withstand that amount, before I add a different motor/400+hp I will have the rear end rebuilt along with the transmission, nothing in the drivetrain will be stock I'm also looking for a good drive shaft I won't be swapping a new engine till I blow this one up lol! Just trying to get some good ideas and slowly buy all my parts and have it as a work in progress :D thanks all! And have a nice weekend!

Back