Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

More #@%&! SUV bashing!!! / SUV Owners = Vain & Insecure...

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by mmpc, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mmpc

mmpc Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Littleton, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '05 Escape: No Boundaries
      SUV Owners = Vain & Insecure...

So says the author of a new book sure to get HUGE media play: "High and Mighty: SUVs, the World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way." The author, a New York Times correspondent named Keith Bradsher, evidently takes pot shots at all of us and claims SUVs are killing thousands of people and wrecking the environment.

All I can say is "here we go again." Still, I like to know when these attacks on my way of life are coming and wanted to pass it along.

Here's the full article: http://www.auto.com/industry/walsh17_20020917.htm

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Soundguy01tx

Soundguy01tx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Katy, TX
      1991 XLT
      Thanks for the heads up... I find it insteresting... this guy is probably living on Manhattan and doesnt understand that some people actually USE their SUVs to a full extent carrying materials for work/family/whatever. Im not syaing I wouldnt mind having something with better gas milage, but Id have to give up a lot of cargo space to get it... oh well...
      --bryan

4. Soundguy01tx

Soundguy01tx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Katy, TX
      1991 XLT
      Oh, and my favorite quote, aside from being called vain and insecure...

In the book's introduction, Bradsher spells out his premise, branding SUVs as gas guzzlers that "roll over too easily, killing and injuring occupants at an alarming rate, and are dangerous to other road users, inflicting catastrophic damage to cars that they hit and posing a lethal threat to pedestrians."

Guess I better buckle up and not turn acorner any faster than 5 mph... I might roll...
      --bryan

5. KodeBlu

KodeBlu Active Member

City, State:
      Detroit, MI
      '99 Limited
      More #@%&! SUV bashing!!!

:fire: :mad: :fire: :mad: :fire: :mad: :fire:
      Check this a$$hole out!!! This jerk decides to write a book bad mouthing all of us who own and/or drive SUV's. According to him and his all knowing, pompous, wannabe Ralph Nader, imperialistic attitude we are all described by the following which is quoted directly from an article in today's Detroit Free Press.

http://www.auto.com/industry/walsh17_20020917.htm

"They tend to be people who are insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors or communities."

What a crock of bull!!! I understand we all have the right to exercise our freedom of speech, but damn!! There should be a law defining the acceptable level of ignorance a person can legally possess!!!
      :banghead:

6. Klowns

Klowns Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Mesa, Az
      '95 XL
      My senseless rambling includes..

First of all I would say they are the most dangerous vehilce around (SUV), but, the reason, how many SUV's do you see driving around. I would say around 40% or so, if not more here in AZ. Which would seem to make it a dangerous vehilce, why, because everyone has one.

Also, people seem to overlook the good, or atleast focus on the bad. Example. You go hang out with your buddy, I dunno you go golfing, he pays for you, sweet he's a nice guy. The next day you have plans that you've had for weeks, or something, like a concert, and he cancels em at last minute, to hang out with his g/f. Then he sucks, lol, atelast for the time being. Anyway.

So I would agree here, there are a lot of SUV drivers that are vain, insecure, uncaring and so forth. But that has nothing to do with the car they drive, it's just the majority of people drive SUV's, thus making it an easy target.

I feel smart now.

7. Rx4phun

Rx4phun Active Member

City, State:
      USA
      1998 XLT SOHC
      I just hope everyone else sees that this is a load of bull crap. I am sure what he says about SUV drivers applies,... to at least a dozen people. But to say we are all bad drivers??? hmm I dont know about that. I am in a great relationship coming up on 4 yrs and my parents drive SUVs and trucks for all of their 27 years of marriage. Not to mention they are the best parents anyone could ever dream of. Of course I am a little bias but whatever, this guy is obviously have some issues with his brain misfiring
      gary

8. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      I use to work for a motoring organisation ( you know rescue poor broken down rollers) and we used to think that volvo drivers were like that. "I drive the safest car in the world so scr%%% you" ignorant ba###@s. Its just a for of jealousy they can't afford one so they don't see why you should have one.

9. spiper

spiper Active Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      1991 XLT
      Hell I've drivin race cars, not to mention all the wheelin' I've done

Really, then why in the hell am I a firefighter?

I'd love to just bitch slap that guy! :mad:

10. VairKing

VairKing Elite Explorer<br>Midwest-Xplorer Member

City, State:
      Kalamazoo, Michigan
      '97 EB V8 AWD
      Yea, Nader is a moron, and so is this guy...I have read Naders book, and couldnt disagree more. My Corvair is one of the best handling cars I have ever drivin...but back on topic....This guys is just nuts, there are too many people out there that love their SUVs, so I dont see him as much as a threat, just ignore the ignorant SOB.

Bradsher:shoot:
      Nader:shoot:

Maybe I should write a book bashing ricers :rolleyes:

11. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      73 EB
      You're all wrong! I am going to sell my SUV and buy an economical compact car! This guy is on the money, I am tired of being self absorbed and scared of my marriage and parenthood. I'll carry the kids to soccer practice in the new geo metro I'm gonna get.:D

Ahh, finally some insight on my life..!

Of coarse you all know I am being a sarcastic bastard, right?

12. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      73 EB
      I have had an SUV since I was 16 and I never killed anyone or myself.

Yeah and any other vehicle out there doesn't?

13. spiper

spiper Active Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      1991 XLT
      I'm with ya Dave. Anyone know where I can buy a solar powered car? :rolleyes:

14. Fischer

Fischer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Durango, Colorado
      95 Explorer XLT 4x4
      I can almost guarentee this guy has a small penis...LOL

What an arse.
      Ahh this is kind of a gross generalization... Not insecure, Sometimes vain, Not Married, No Children, Best Driver I Know (supreme confidence in skills), rerely self centered, Possibly self absorbed (it's called pride), and I know my neighbors...

So this guy is wrong, wrong, wrong. Nice research there buddy, Lets see what that Audi TT can do heh heh...:p

At least the author of the article is cool...
      :p

15. VairKing

VairKing Elite Explorer<br>Midwest-Xplorer Member

City, State:
      Kalamazoo, Michigan
      '97 EB V8 AWD
      There is another thread about this, maybe a mod can combine them? :)

I put my $.02 in the other thread :mad:

16. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      tell you what. if that @sshole will build an SUV with 250 hp., that handles like a Porshe, and gets 30 mpg., then i will buy it. until then, i will keep my explorer. basically, people like this guy are the "sky is falling" type, and only cry out falsities for attention... maybe if he got l@id a little more and stopped arguing so much with his wife... then we wouldnt have to read his crap...

17. bonnich

bonnich Active Member

City, State:
      Toronto ontario
      03 1500 HEMI SLT

You forgot to mention that he also needs to pay more attn to he kids

18. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
      hahahahahaha!! what a laugh. i think he's jealous cause he's intimidated when a lifted suv drives next to his car and can crush him in a heartbeat if so desired. a "kill or be killed psychology" of suv drivers? well damn. i lived in a big city for many years, and that was the mentality on the streets when you were a kid. if you didn't want to get mugged, look menacing, and travel in a group. isn't that just common sense? and suv's have proven not to be as safe as they seem in crash tests, so i guess he just missed the boat with his research as well... oh well. maybe all the people that run that site that put stickers on suv's bashing them will buy his book. then he might make ends meat with it?

19. RFR2212

RFR2212 Typing Police Elite Explorer

City, State:
      In the mug by Chitown
      95 JEEP Wrangler
      My question is, why do you let this bother you?

For ever there's gonna be people bashing SUVs, minivans, and ricers... Deal with it... it's gonna be that way... there's people that write similar crap about the imports, and well we all know minivans are boring! :p

I could care less what all the people write... I totally see why they would bash explorers, since they were involved in the firestone thing... We're just more prone.. Liberty was headed that way, but Jeep was smart and lowered the vehicle soon after they found they weren't all that stable...

Who cares! Don't let it bother you!
      Pete

20. diablo5969

diablo5969 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Versailles, KY (Home) Poughkeepsie, NY (School)
      2004 Honda Pilot LX
      Oh shit! I am a teenager driving an older-model used SUV! I better go sell it before I cause more deaths and injuries! :rolleyes:

The other day I was driving to school and I passed a Honda driven by about a 40 year old guy in a suit. The tag said NO SUVS :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

21. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
      Dallas, TX
      1995 Explorer XLT
      Umm I have no marital issues since I'm not married, no child issues since I don't have any kids, I'm active in my community, I drive responsibly, secure in my manhood, so where's this clown's beef with me?

Sounds to me like sour grapes, he probably has never had to move lots of stuff around, (every semester at school I load up the Ex to gunwales, the odd Cadillac 500 V-8, engine hoists and stands) I find my Ex to be very useful for what I do, it allows me to not have to dissassemble my bike when I wish to haul it somewhere like I had to with my old 6000. it gets nearly the same MPG (17 vs. 18, 21 vs 24)as the 6000 did, with about the same performance. is within 1 inch of every dimension of the 82-96 GM A-body but just taller.

That's the problem with free press though, everyone is allowed their own opinion and whoever has the most money is the loudest. and in that regards I say more power to writers.

22. Flounder

Flounder Owns 10,000 Marbles Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Pennsylvania
      '08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
      I fit the profile. And damnit, I'm PROUD OF IT! jk... not me int he profile, but as far as I'm concerned, I'll drive it till it drives no more. Then I'll get another and do the same.

23. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      All i have to say is... I see dumb people. They're everywhere. They walk around and dont even know theyre dumb. some of them they write books.

24. Spas

Spas It's all Jack's fault Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Freakland, Pa
      7 Sploder herd
      Some people :rolleyes:

If I pulled up next to this guy at a stoplight, I don't know if I'd laugh and point at him, or just shake my head and worm my way a little deeper into my leather seat, grinning hugely 'cause I know what he's missing....

25. Adam Foote

Adam Foote Active Member

City, State:
      Katy, Texas
      92 XLT
      I have proof this guy is a moron.... Read the first quote... you know about the marrages and parenthood... see this doesnt obtain to me cus im only 19 the $h!thead doesnt even know what hes talking about :)

26. Adam Foote

Adam Foote Active Member

City, State:
      Katy, Texas
      92 XLT
      Oh and spas.... if i pulled up to this guy at a stoplight
      i would probably wait till the light turned green... go... and veer off into his lane and over his vehicle.... and probably continue to keep going....lol.... this guy just doesnt know what an SUV has to offer