Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit

Thought I share my install currently underway. I am going slow and not rushing this as I want to get it right the first time. Started with the Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 Bi-xenon Projectors and graphite shrouds from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ and the Black Crystal Headlights from ebay.

I didn't realize how transparent the shrouds are so I painted the insides with aluminum engine paint to fix that.
IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

I am also installing the dummy alarm LED's in them to flash when the truck is off. I used one of the existing holes in the base of the projector's and angle drilled it to fit the LED.
Here you can see the hole.
IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

And with LED.
IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

I attached the LED's with the same Silicone II that is recommended to install the projectors.
Here is a test pic with the shrouds installed.
IMAG0082.jpg

My goal is to hook both sides up to one of the flashers so they will both be flashing in sync with each other. That is as far as I have gotten so far and will update as I go. Again I am taking my time on these, so I may not have anything til next weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

For pure white? What would you guys recommend? 4300K or 5000K?

For me, I had a set with the 4300k and they were a little to yellow for me. Don't know if it was the brand or not, but looked just like regular halogen bulbs in them. This set, I have 5000k and to me they look pure white.

Plus Jason, what would you say was the hardest part of the retrofit?

Don't know about the hardest, but definitely the most frustrating, was figuring out how to mount the shrouds on. The fact that instructions are not included really added to that. The shrouds have threaded screw holes in them, the projectors have screw holes in them, but the two holes don't line up. Contacted retrofit and they told me they mount with the black rings that were included. Even with the rings, I still couldn't figure out how they went together. Had to contact them again to find out how they go together. Really would be a big help if they just threw some instructions in on how to assemble their parts.
I didn't trust the rings holding them on with just silicone. So I drilled a couple small holes in the shrouds and used some bailing wire just to be sure everything stays together.
IMAG0103.jpg

Lose the airdam

Truck looks great though, kudos on a nice headlight setup.

The airdam is hiding my secondary trans-filter. Got to keep it.

Thanks for all your help, especially with the 9007 adapters.

Thanks again Jason for the writeup and the questions you've answered. I'm gonna be ordering my kit later this week and gonna be doing while I'm home on leave next week. Hope you don't mind if I hit you up if I have any questions since this is still fresh in your head.

I don't mind at all. I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for so many others going through it first. It was well worth it.

How long did you keep it in the oven for at 300 degrees?

Once it is fully preheated, I started with 10 min, and then try it, then I did 5 min increments, checking after each. I think it split after the first 5 min reheat, then it was just reheating to get the rest of the glue off.

that shroud mounting made me burst out laughing :confused:

I know the Mini gatling gun has screw holes to, and if you don't have it the right way the holes won't line up. I bet you had the shroud on upside down. TRS also sells shroud centric rings to make shrouds pop on, however I guess its not applicable for this one since they made it with screw holes. So my final answer will be, upside down shroud...

Otherwise, once again, looks great :thumbsup:

yeah I'll have to agree with dreddog on that shroud mounting lol but otherwise damn I love the look of projectors in the black headlights and they just look awesome on your truck :thumbsup:

Tried the shroud both ways. The holes on the shroud are too wide and never over lapped the projector bracket.. They did have centeric rings included, but I didn't want to force them any where that I might not be able to get them out of.

From Retofit:
Hey Jason,

Thanks for the email and picture. The Mini Graphites you received do not mount using screws, however they mount with black plastic centric rings instead.

Just ordered my retrofit kit with UPS 2nd day air. Hope to tackle it this weekend.

It's about time! :p:

I'm sure questions will come up and of course pics.

Here's the details of the kit.

1 x Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) (MiniH1III) = $280.00
Wire Harness Relay: 9007/9004
Shrouds 2) Mini Graphite (standard model)
Re-sealing Glue Yes please
Projectors LHD (North American Standard)
CCFL Angel Eyes No
Bulbs H1: Morimoto 3Five 5000K
Ballasts Morimoto 3Five (35w)
Adapter Plate 9007

Jason or Celly, did you just stand up the headlights in the oven with something for the opening to sit on while the lense was facing up? Hope that made sense.

Jason or Celly, did you just stand up the headlights in the oven with something for the opening to sit on while the lense was facing up? Hope that made sense.

Mine were on their side. Middle oven rack. One at a time.

Laying down, on what would be the top of the headlight. I put a couple 2x4's on the middle rack just in case.

I'm so excited, so many retrofits going on now lol

Mine were on their side. Middle oven rack. One at a time.

With nothing underneath it to keep it off the rack itself?

Laying down, on what would be the top of the headlight. I put a couple 2x4's on the middle rack just in case.

I might just take a pic to see if it's how you guys did it so I do it correctly without messing up the headlight.

Hopefully more people will do it. I'm nervous about it but, looking forward to it.

With nothing underneath it to keep it off the rack itself?

Mine sat on the rack itself. The 2X4 idea is a good one, but I didn't need them. It's not like the lights come out out of the oven mushy. Mine were still as hard as they would be if unheated. Remember, you're just trying to melt the glue, not the lights. ;)

I credit Dreddog with pushing me in the that direction (over on hidplanet though).

Looking forward to seeing another Retrofit. Still really happy with mine. I get a big grin on my face every time I see them light up.

Back