Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit

Thought I share my install currently underway. I am going slow and not rushing this as I want to get it right the first time. Started with the Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 Bi-xenon Projectors and graphite shrouds from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ and the Black Crystal Headlights from ebay.

I didn't realize how transparent the shrouds are so I painted the insides with aluminum engine paint to fix that.
IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

I am also installing the dummy alarm LED's in them to flash when the truck is off. I used one of the existing holes in the base of the projector's and angle drilled it to fit the LED.
Here you can see the hole.
IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

And with LED.
IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

I attached the LED's with the same Silicone II that is recommended to install the projectors.
Here is a test pic with the shrouds installed.
IMAG0082.jpg

My goal is to hook both sides up to one of the flashers so they will both be flashing in sync with each other. That is as far as I have gotten so far and will update as I go. Again I am taking my time on these, so I may not have anything til next weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I credit Dreddog with pushing me in the that direction (over on hidplanet though).

yup, if it wasn't for him I'd still have wonderful halogen headlamps lol

Hopefully more people will do it. I'm nervous about it but, looking forward to it.

i'm sure you'll be just fine, if I could do it then I think almost anyone can haha plus you've got quite a few people on here that can help u if u get stuck

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Might go grab the headlights out of storage and get them taken apart to get them prepped for when the kit gets here on Friday.

Might go grab the headlights out of storage and get them taken apart to get them prepped for when the kit gets here on Friday.

All I can say is, take your time. It was actually harder than I thought it would be to break them open. Be patient and don't overheat them. You can always put them back in the oven if you don't get it right the first time.

No trimming on the back of the headlight. I did have to trim the inside where the bulb shield mounted to. There was a little platform that stuck out and was hitting the projector. I also used the H1 projectors which are a little smaller.

I'm at that point with the first headlight. How did you trim the little platform? Just to make sure we're on the same page, your talking about this piece right?

Attachments

• retro.jpg
    retro.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 497

I'm at that point with the first headlight. How did you trim the little platform? Just to make sure we're on the same page, your talking about this piece right?

I used an older set that didn't have that little tab. I scored diamond cuts way back when at the earliest time when the design was different.

That being said, I also have a set like yours and planned to trim that piece if I was going that route. Otherwise the projector would push right up against it.

Does that mean you opened up # 1? :)

I used an older set that didn't have that little tab. I scored diamond cuts way back when at the earliest time when the design was different.

That being said, I also have a set like yours and planned to trim that piece if I was going that route. Otherwise the projector would push right up against it.

Does that mean you opened up # 1? :)

#1 and #2 are both already opened up. On #1 when I was prying after about a total time of 20 mins in the oven, a little part of the whole headlight assembly cracked and almost broke off. Gonna gorilla glue it back on towards the end of the project. But still need to get that piece trimmed off before the projectors get here tomorrow.

It's not the best way, but I used a pair of wire cutters to take the top half of that block off. It put a hole in the back of the headlight where I ended up running my wires through. A dremel would be a better solution. I just haven't bought one yet.

Congrats on the split. Hopefully the crack won't be visible with it put together.

I have a dremel and will try to with minimal cutting. Just not a lot of room to move with the dremel. Here's a pic of the small cracked piece along the button of the 1st headlight and other pics of it.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 459
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 466
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 495

It doesn't look that bad. Touch up the black and I bet you won't see it with the lense on.

Awesome job Jason, and Steeda's looks like it's coming along well :thumbsup:

I guess now is the time for me to post up and announce I too have started collecting parts for my retrofit.. hahah

77p4F.jpg

Anyone have an old set of clear housings they'd like to sell? :D

I bought mine off ebay pretty much for the same price.

Looks like my project starts Monday.

How did you guys like the quality of the new headlights compared to the old? Were all the mounting tabs and alignment screws decent? My stock set has a of couple broken tabs from me removing and installing them so many times during my engine build/swap(s) :(

Looks like my project starts Monday.

How did you guys like the quality of the new headlights compared to the old? Were all the mounting tabs and alignment screws decent? My stock set has a of couple broken tabs from me removing and installing them so many times during my engine build/swap(s) :(
I was actually surprised at how well they fit. There is a slight gap under the headlight between it and the grill trim. I don't remember if it was like that with the stock headlights or not. All the adjusters went in fine and did there job.

What the UPS man dropped off to me today......

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 474

Sweet! Looking forward to see how you end up doing yours.

Bout to try how to figure out to get this dremel in the headlight assy hopefully without cutting something I don't want to around the little mounting platform. Bout to start on it right now. Will take pics along the way too. This is my project for today/tonight.

Bout to try how to figure out to get this dremel in the headlight assy hopefully without cutting something I don't want to around the little mounting platform. Bout to start on it right now. Will take pics along the way too. This is my project for today/tonight.
After I cut those pieces out, I covered the cut part with silicone. I didn't want any of the chrome part flaking off and floating around in the headlight later on.

Dremel fit in there just fine and got it cut and silicone on it, bout to cure check. Head to oreillys to get that aluminum engine paint for the shrouds.

But Jason here is a pic of the dremel I got and it only cost me like $22 at walmart. Just in case your looking to get one.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 494
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 440
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 472

Looks a lot cleaner then mine did. Might have to make a trip down to walmart. $22 is a cheap.

Back