• Register Today It's free!

motor woes

Mudboy

Reaction score
City, State
Bellmawr NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ex
Since I have bought my explorer it always had a valve tap from what sounded like one valve. It has always had a rythym though. It would tap about 25 times then stop for 3-4 seconds then start again. It came and it went over the past year. Now it's worse than ever but still the same rythym. I ran seafoam in the oil for about 250 miles and changed it. I also put ion a bottle of lucas when I changed the oil. The tap is still there, no quieter,. I was origonally thinking a lifter was sticking but now am not so sure. I figured if it was a rocker arm issue or valve iussue it would be a steady tap, since mechanical wear/defaults doesn't just go away.
The other thing I noticed was alot of metal flakes on the bottom of my drain pan during the oil change. I always thought crank beaerings were a copper color once worn through that thin layer of aluminum. So I guess now I have to install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to see what my oil pressure is looking like. aftyer that I'll have to run a compression test. These two things should tell me if my bottom end is good. My question for yall is if there is timing chain guides which could have caused these flakes?

Back