Motorcraft COP Coil Packs vs cheaper Offbrand | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft COP Coil Packs vs cheaper Offbrand

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
Anyone have any experience using the cheaper offbrand coil packs selling in eBay for $30 to $40 for a set of 8?

I'm not looking for the opinion "always get genuine OEM Motorcraft parts". Curious to know if anyone here has tried out the offbrands and have had a positive or negative experience...you personally, not you heard or read it on the internet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

people with old beaters seem to love em/ Go to amazon and read the reviews.

They most likely do not meet any standards regarding consistency, EMF radiation, field break down, etc... But, if it ain't worth throwing money or ain't long for life, why not?

They work but don't last but so long. The plastic gets brittle and start arching internally. They commonly last a few years though so they do serve a purpose but I'd never run them.

For what it’s worth, Bosch is the OE manufacturer.

I replaced the front facing camera on an iPhone 8 Plus. Part was $2, shipped. Front facing camera.

So depending on where the parts are coming from, could be they skip the huge markup.

Wouldn’t hurt to try for an older vehicle. Be the ginny pig here.

Actually it's denso for the 2v coils. Buy one and peel the sticker off, you'll see a Ford part number.

Thanks everyone. Even though Motorcraft only has a one year warrantly I'm going to go with them for two reasons:

1. My originals have lasted 17 years less the one that I need to replace.
2. At $200 for 8 of them (on Amazon.com) the price seems reasonable for a quality COP...$25/cylinder isn't too bad.

Yeah, I'm gonna change out all 8 since they are 17 years old and have 164K miles on them. Should be the last time I have to muck with them. I'll keep the 7 "working" ones as spares. Seems like fuel mileage has dropped in the last couple of years so maybe this will help a little.

I have 230k on my originals. Same mileage. While I understand the desire for new parts, I really wouldn’t replace them without knowing they are bad. You should be able to test them.

My situation doesn't allow me to have this issue then be able to park the vehicle until I get a chance to diagnose. If I had a spare vehicle to drive I'd be more inclined the fix it as I go along. There's the issue of potential plugging up the cats with unburned fuel if running in this condition for a long time. It's about $50 for one COP and about $200 for eight of them. Replacing them one at a time would add up to more than $200 and you never know how many are on the hairy edge of failing. But, in general, I agree with you.

Back