Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Mountain Driving - Down Hill Down Shifts

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Holligl, July 23, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Holligl

Holligl Active Member

City, State:
      Hoffman Estates, IL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2011 Limited Platinum
      Driving Skyline Drive in Shenandoah Valley 2 days ago and noticed driving down hill stretches, when you brake the transmission will automatically downshift to hold your speed. It will significantly rev the engine, but is not using fuel so your mileage doesn't suffer. It doesn't up shift until you give it more gas. Nice feature to save brake wear, but takes some getting used to.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jeff59rt1

jeff59rt1 Active Member

City, State:
      Pa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 Explorer XLT
      Driving to west virgina though the hills x did this if coasting down hill will not down shift,but if you apply the brakes it will shift down once and if you leave your foot on the brake it will downshift again. Mine was revving well over 4 grand in the downhill and wouldn't shift un till I hit the gas or shifted into manual. Takes some getting used to but liked it once I knew how it worked.