Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Mountaineer 2003 ticking

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Emilin00001, July 5, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Emilin00001

Emilin00001 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Mercury mountaineer 2003
    I have a 2003 mountaineer with a 4.6L engine. The other day my wife was using it and it shut down, i checked it later and it had almost no oil (even though it had pressure). I put some oil on it and ran fine for a couple of days until i noticed a ticking under the hood. I changed the oil and filter and added some mystery oil but it's still there.
    By the way, the ticking does not follow the rpm's, at idle you can barely hear it, but if you accelerate from 1,500 to 2,500 rpm's you hear it, higher rpm's it stops and if you take the foot off the accelarotor it also stops. My first tought was a lifter. I don' have an idea, need some help.
    Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BReynolds2002

BReynolds2002 New Member

City, State:
    Pennsylvania
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Ford Explorer
    good luck i have 02 ford explorer same thing happend same motor and now its ticking those 4.6L motors are garbage im ripping mine out gonna throw older 5.0 in it lot of work but well worth it good luck