• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer AWD Disable?

shelby69

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Cobra, 97 Mountaineer
I have a 5.0 AWD Mountaineer. Can I disable the AWD? I assume it is different than Control-Trac. If anyone has any info it is greatly appreciated.
I searched but didn't find anything about Mountaineer.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, the AWD Transfer Case is a permanently engaged. There is no electrical connections that can be "clipped" to fool the computer. I'm not sure if the you can just remove the front drive shaft or not. But the best way is to remove the T/C and replace it with the 2WD driveshaft and taleshaft.

You can remove the front shaft and run it that way. I am not sure what the long term wear would be like though. Heath has been running that way for at least a few months now.

How does the transfer case know to transfer power front or rear? It doen't use the wheel speed sensors? Is it all viscus couplings? I work for an Audi dealer so I understand Quattro, but I am unfamilar with the Ford AWD.

From my understanding its all mechanical that uses a viscous copuling.

it's allway's sending power to the front..all the time..nomatter what..35% to the front 65% to the rear FULL TIME

Originally posted by Ak LTD Xplorer
it's allway's sending power to the front..all the time..nomatter what..35% to the front 65% to the rear FULL TIME

Varies front to back too. Not always the same tourque split.

Up to 95% to either axle. :cool:

Does it use a regular open diff in the front, or is that a LS? Or is it just basically a regular 4WD drive train with an AWD T/C(sounds kinda confusing, i know:rolleyes: :D)

Originally posted by section525
Up to 95% to either axle. :cool:

section, rittle me how that work's..i was thinkin it was close to that(35/65) all the time..when would it put 95% to the rear and why?..sense i drive my dad's v8 AWD and he wanted to know how it worked i kinda know about the AWD t-case..kinda

The front or rear axles are sent more power if the system senses the wheels slipping. An AWD system would be worthless if it stayed at the same torque split 100% of the time.

Originally posted by Hartman
The front or rear axles are sent more power if the system senses the wheels slipping. An AWD system would be worthless if it stayed at the same torque split 100% of the time.

but the problem with that is..it's all mecanical..no computer's to tell it when it's slipping..so how can it sesne slippage?

yeah it's a normal 4x4 just with the AWD T-CASE

I don't think it's all mechanical.

yes it is..there's no computer's it's all mechanical.
..trust me..ask section if you don't belive me

well then what makes it move power front to back then?? (not that hard of a ?)

Ever heard of limited slip differentials? They work, basically, in the same way. Mechanically, it senses when a wheel is slipping, and applies power to the other side. The AWD tcase does the same thing, just to the driveshafts.

You can read about limited slips at www.howstuffworks.com . Search for "differential".

btw: I can figure out for myself when questions are hard or not.

maby i am wrong but i thought limited slip has a cutch plate inside that sends power to both weels also allowing one wheel to spin when the clutch is overpowered.

for all wheel drive i think the rear driveshaft is perminatly connected to the tranny and the front through the viscous coupling

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Robb
Ever heard of limited slip differentials? They work, basically, in the same way. Mechanically, it senses when a wheel is slipping, and applies power to the other side. The AWD tcase does the same thing, just to the driveshafts.

You can read about limited slips at www.howstuffworks.com . Search for "differential".

btw: I can figure out for myself when questions are hard or not.

DUH..how could i not know about LS's(have alittle more faith in me LOL)..but the t-case don't have a LS in them do they(?)

Back