• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer that goes KA-CHONK

mountaingoat97

Reaction score
City, State
Fairborn, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
My 97 Mountaineer makes a very loud and noticeable clunk. I bought this truck and , unkown to me, the previous owner had removed the front driveshaft. I discovered this after work, finding it resting against a coworker's car. I got a junkyard driveshaft, figuring that the viscous coupler was locked up being the reason for removal. I put it in to see if would at least be driveable for winter. Jacked completely off the ground it spun all four wheels under power but it makes this clonk sound, seemingly from the transfer case. When driven it idles along fine but when you attempt to accelerate the sound gets worse and repeats. My first thought was the chain, or possibly the 226k mile junkyard driveshaft. Any thoughts before I start replacing things?

The junkyard front driveshaft you got is very likely defective. Replace it with a new one or replace the CV joint like this guy did. Or if you live in an area where there is no need for AWD then just leave it off. I've had mine off for over a year and we have the exact same vehicle. See the sticky at the top of this forum concerning driveshaft removal.

Back