Mountaineer TT lift stuck bolts! Help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer TT lift stuck bolts! Help?

Outdoorsman124

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer 5.0L V8
So I just finished putting the Warrior 153's on the back of my 1999 Mountaineer and it looks great but now the back sits higher than the front and I want to level it by using the Torsion Twist. I've soaked the bolts in PB an Deep Creep penetration lube and yanked on them with a breaker bar and even took a shot at them with an electric impact wrench and the darn things won't budge! Any ideas? They don't appear to be too rusty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you jack up the front end first? I think you need to take the load off them.

Definitely need to take the load off them before tightening or you could strip the bolts. If you already did that check to make sure the heads aren't hitting the plate and maxxed out.

Did you jack up the front end first? I think you need to take the load off them.
I did jack up the front I did everything to relieve as much load off the bars as possible. And they have plenty of travel still not even close to maxing out.

I went through this when I did my torsion twist way back when. It wasn't fun! I jacked up the front. Took the wheels off thinking it would take any additional dead weight off of the torsion bars. I then heated the bolt with a propane torch. That got it spinning a bit. Was able to remove the passenger side by intermitantly torching and spinning little by little. The drivers side I ended up having to cut the bolt out and then rotated the bolt and the pad through the opening. Not fun and a bit dangerous and not recommended. Make sure you have the proper tool to push up the torsion key to remove the weight from the torsion bar bolt. You may have better luck if you haven't tried that yet.

Back