Mounty 5.0 V8 lower intake manifold gaskets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounty 5.0 V8 lower intake manifold gaskets

wesalexleft

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer V8 4.6L
I'm getting ready to replace the lower intake manifold gaskets on a 1997 Mouny with the 5.0 V8 due to leaking coolant in the front driver's side. It's right at the corner, and around the most forward bolt that also holds the coil pack. Anything I should watch for? I didn't see anything in the how-to section, so hopefully I'll be able to catch all the major steps for a write up. I was wondering if anyone else has done it, and were there any problem areas? I can only think of one or two, such as the metal EGR tube breaking, fuel injector rails or fuel injectors leaking, etc. I've done the job on a 2003, but that's a different motor. Everything else should be pretty straightforward...just time consuming.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take your time!! The lower intake bolts like to break off into the cylinder heads.

I would try to apply a tiy bit of tighten torque to them, just to get them moving, then work each bolt counterclockwise in tiny steps, alternating between clock wise and counterclockwise until you are able to get the bolts out. As soon as you can get the bolt head up off the surface of the intake manifold, drip in a 50-50 mix of transmission fluid and acetone, and wait. You don't want to break a bolt and turn this into a head gasket replacement if that is not needed. :thumbsup:
You might want new bolts once you look at them. length is important for these, error slightly shorter vs longer as long as you re within 1/8" they should work fine.

Get some ultra black or mega black RTV ( do not use regular black) for the front and rear seal area. Be sure to lay on a 3/8" (or maybe even 1/2") bead along the front and rear valley areas, and apply a thin film of it to the water passage ports on the gasket itself. Set the intake within 15 minutes of that, and get it torqued to spec. I would also wait overnight if at all possible before adding any fluids to make sure you get a great seal.

Those are some tips I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck!

Great and thanks. I didn't think about having bolt problems, but the truck is 17 years old and the one bolt around the leak near the coil bridge I expect to have problems from. I'll be sure and soak it well to get it out.

My 99 explorer has been leaking around the back side of the valve cover on driver side could it be the lower intake gasket on that side leaking

Is it leaking coolant?

Yes it could be the lim gasket

It was leaking till I put a stop leak it's been good since but I know it will need to be fixed correctly.
Is it leaking coolant?

Yes it could be the lim gasket

orca-image--355430996.jpeg

Back