Which do you prefer?

• Explorer Limited

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Mountaineer

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Stephen
Oh and I was going to comment, whoops.

I like the QX4 too, but I'm not so sure I'd buy one over an Explorer Limited. In all honesty, the QX4 is a lot smaller than the Explorer so it really doesn't compete, if you need space, the choice between QX4 and Explorer isn't hard to make.

absolutly, not to mention you are paying about 45 k for a QX4 which has a worse ride, smaller, ... is a pathfinder with a few gold emblems... There is a huge price gap from Path to QX4

If it were me and i was married with 2 kids, mortgage, bills... and so on, i would have went with the Pathfinder if i had to choose between Q and the Path.
otherwise i would have gotten an Explorer with teh 3rd row and a lot more space for a substantial amount less.
But, once again, thats just me, and thats why my brother and I are 2 different people.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by KodeBlu
There's nothing like a Limited. ;)

What he said. Love my '02 with everything on it. Didn't pay close to 40K. With the incentives, didn't even pay close to 35K.

In '98, did the Limited have perforated leather seats? What about projector headlights? If not, then I vote for Mounty.

What would a Limited offer that a Mounty would not? I don't have the trip computer, but I was looking at a Mounty Monterey that came with it.

I still might vote for Mounty anyway because the service at L-M dealerships are typically waaayyy beyond Ford. It's like Cadilac dealership service vs Chevy.

The Limited does have partially perforated seats, but thats okay I don't like perforated seats LOL.

As for projector headlamps, the Mounty doesn't and hasn't had them either. You're thinking about clear lens reflectors.

The Limited has-
-The monotone look (you like it or you dont)
-The air suspension
-Automatic climate control
-Console message center
Plus some other things I'm sure, I would need to look it up. As I said, in more recent years they came out with more upscale versions of the Mountaineer that were designed to be alternatives to the Limited, but the original and the basic Mountaineer is designed to be an alternative to the XLT.

Plus, I had two Lincolns and found the service to be exactly the same between Lincoln and Ford (Ford staffs them with the same people and pays them the same amount). Plus, any Lincoln Mercury dealership will service any Ford, even for warranty repairs, so if you like the service better, go ahead and buy the Limited and have it serviced at Lincoln. The pricing is the same also.

Thanks for the correction on the headlights. "Reflector" makes sense; the design looks as though the source shines rearward onto a very reflective surface and back forward through clear lenses. The salesperson called them projectors as he smacked them quite briskly with the back of his hand (wedding ring) when demonstrating their durability. He was a used car salesperson at a Dodge dealership, so I'll have to let him slide.

one last try...

How about puddle lamps? Does the Limited have them?

You guys should know by now that we Mercury owners need to feel special/different! ;)

i dont really know all the lighting terms but the limiteds have fog lights, if tahts what you mean

Oh yeah, most Explorers have puddle lamps. If they arent underneath the mirrors then they're in the inside of the door.

As for the clear lens headlights, clear lens headlights are just like "normal" headlights (a'la Explorer) except the front lens is clear instead of reflective. One doesn't work better than the other, the clear lens is just for look. Projector headlamps are what vehicles like Acura Integras have where there is a small round lamp inside a larger housing where the light comes from. Again, there is no difference in how they work, only how they look. The only real difference between OEM headlamps are Halogen (most vehicles) and HID (the bluish lamps Lexuses, BMWs etc have), HID are much much brighter.

Back