Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Mounty71's Elite Registry--'00 Mountaineer

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by mounty71, February 10, 2008.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    La Mesa, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Ranger & Explorer
    I know the feeling. The ranger is still a pain in the ass to drive. Once I get all this shit with the explorer done, I'll dive back into figuring that whole shitstorm

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
    La Habra Hts, CA
    90 Bronco II
    You'll never get rid of ALL the play. The Navajo drives bad too, but with inverted y steering.

4. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    Made it back last night from the maiden voyage to the Rubicon and had a great weekend putting this thing to the test. We went from the Tahoe side to the Rubicon Springs and back. I broke a D44 stub shaft on the last obstacle getting into camp, and had one hub that stopped engaging right at the last obstacle coming out. Thank god I have a locker in front so I still had 3wd on the way out. But I'm amazed at what this truck can do crawling and how it flexes. I changed the coilover springs up front right before the trip from 350/400 to 300/350 and I love it. Still needs some major alignment help and could use more ground clearance and a rear locker. Body damage is very minimal since my sliders took the majority of the abuse. Not sure I'll do the Rubicon again but had a blast this weekend.

My group was 4 trucks, and I wasn't the only one with damage. My friends Courier crawler broke teeth off his front ring gear and another friend ripped his panhard bar mount off the frame of his Toyota crawler. Luckily some people with a Ready Welder showed up and we got it repaired enough to get out. A couple other people we ran into had some major problems on their full crawler buggies so it made me feel pretty good to bounce my way through in a soccer mom car.

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3568.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3593.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  5. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
    La Habra Hts, CA
    90 Bronco II
    Glad you all made it through. I know you'll be beach to do it again one day, cause I'll be on that trip too!

Always like seeing a modded courier

6. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    La Mesa, CA
    Ranger & Explorer
    awesome! Glad the truck did so well. I can't remember, Rubicon Springs are right past Big Sluice right?

7. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Fresno CA
    86 ranger no more
    Callsign:
    KK6TDL
    Yes if you are coming from the Loon Lake side. With the direction he Matt went they went down Cadillac Hill and then back up it. Sounds like never made it to Big Sluice. When I ran the Con last in 2005 the road from the top of Cadillac Hill to Tahoe was was very rough. Not hard just very tore up to beat you up on the way out. Is it still that way?

I really like this build.

8. mounty71

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    RJ, he's got another Courier race truck too, built in the nineties that used to race in the trophy truck class in SCORE. I'll post a picture later.

Josh, thanks! Yeah the springs are basically across the famous green bridge from I believe Big Sluice.

Matt, thanks. Yeah from Cadillac to Tahoe is really rough, but I wouldn't exactly call it a road. All of the hardest spots are the other way from Cadillac down to the springs. From the last obstacle on the way out, which I think is Potato Salad Hill, to the staging area is just miserable rocky fire road, 5 or 6 miles of it.

9. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    La Mesa, CA
    Ranger & Explorer

ahhh, that makes sense. such a gorgeous trail. cadillac hill is no easy feat either.

10. mounty71

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    For guys with D44s, do you clearance the ears on your axles for full circlips or do you just use the C-clips that come with the u-joints and leave the shafts alone? I'm wondering if the clearancing I did for full circlips weakened the ears too much. On the other hand, that u-joint was a Moog whereas the other two are Spicer, and the Moog fit really loosely in comparison when I first put the shafts together, so that could be the cause of the breakage too. Just trying to get a plan for fixing this.

11. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Fresno CA
    86 ranger no more
    Callsign:
    KK6TDL
    I didn't clearance my yukon shafts. I can't remember if they came with full circle clips or not. I am not home so I wont be able to look for a few weeks. Amazing how far this rig has come from being 2wd and you and your dad at truckhaven in this and his TJ.

12. mounty71

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    Back then I never would have imagined what this truck would turn into, but it now has pretty much all of the different things I love about Ford SUVs. Except for the roll down Bronco rear window...

For now a friend has an entire D44 front end that he's just letting me take parts from, so I'll start with replacing just what I need. I'd like to remove the cut and extended inner shafts I have now though and keep them as spares.

This is an old picture of the Courier race truck I mentioned. It doesn't look so clean now since my buddy rolled it on its side. He plans to race it someday.
    courier_006_zps8ea5509d.jpg

And another picture a friend took.
    IMG_3604.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
    La Habra Hts, CA
    90 Bronco II
    Anything new on the Mounty? Need some inspiration?

wp_ss_20171109_0001.png

wp_ss_20171109_0002.png

14. mounty71

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    I need lots of inspiration! I've barely touched it since the Rubicon and I have little motivation to work on it, and we're planning to do a New Year's Mojave Road trip.

I replaced the broken axle and this time I tried tack welding the u-joint caps and using the C-clips instead of clearancing for full circlips. I can't figure out why one of my hubs gets stuck and won't engage or disengage sometimes, so I got a brand new set off ebay for cheap and have 2 spares I'll carry with me. Other than adding a little more ride height to the front after switching to the softer springs, nothing else has changed. Still needs an alignment badly, it has a slight misfire sometimes, oil filter adapter leaks, lower radiator hose has a pin hole leak in it, which requires removing the steering box to get to it, which is the kind of work that I hate doing. And somehow the top of both rear doors has separated from the body. With the doors closed I can squeeze a finger in between the doors and the body.

My friend's shop where I work on it was already 1.5 hours away from me, and now he has to move and his new place is even farther away, which kills what little motivation to work on it that I already had. He has started doing shop work pretty much full time the last few months so I think I'm just going to have him do everything for me.

How have you been? I assume you've begun treatment?

15. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
    La Habra Hts, CA
    90 Bronco II
    Oh man you have a real off road rig now. With all the annoyances that come after a such a huge job. I hate those little things.

I've been good. Keeping my head up. Doing chemo therapy. And that's basically what I'll be doing got the next few months until i have surgery. But i took the Navajo out last week, might take it out to the trail next week too. B2 still needs a lot of work.

16. mounty71

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    That's good to hear that you're still getting out with the Navajo. It may be a long shot but if you can make a little trip for New Year's, you're more than welcome to join.

17. mounty71

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    Maiden voyage to the desert was pretty much flawless. My battery tray rubs the steering fluid reservoir so I had to bend the reservoir bracket to get some clearance, and the hose for my windshield washer fluid disconnected. That's it. I drove it pretty hard all weekend, had to use 4hi for a minute to get out of a tight spot, and the front end felt amazing on the high speed stuff.

I'll try to post a couple short videos and pics when I get them from friends.

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  18. mounty71

City, State:
    Oakland, CA
    '00 Mountaineer
    You might need to mute the video to keep from laughing, hearing my friends' reactions cracks me up every time.

• Like Like x 2
  19. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
    La Habra Hts, CA
    90 Bronco II
    Landed good

20. mounty71

City, State:
    Oakland, CA