• Register Today It's free!

"mouse" motor

4.6EXPLORERFAN

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
So, went to change the fuel filter and clean the throttle body today since I had the nasty stumble and low idle and guess what I found...a GIANT mouse nest complete with shelled acorns! I haven't taken the beauty cover since I bought her, there's been no need. However, it leads me to another question. I routinely spray out the engine bay with the cover in place. I'm planning on changing my plugs soon and even though I vaccumed out as much as I could I'm sure there's more there. Is it safe to wash out the engine bay w/light pressure w/o the cover? Regardless of how bad it looks that there was a nest under there, I really do maintain my vehicles. There's just never been a need to mess w/the throttle body.

You can carefully clean the engine bay by spraying water, but 1st anything electrical must be covered with plastic bags to prevent damage to sensitive components. Then, run the engine to warm the vehicle for a short time. Next, lightly spray Simple Green and let sit for 15-20 min. Then, wipe off/lightly spray with misting water. Repeat.

For more info. I suggest turning to www.fordrangerforum.com. I am a member there and there are some neat-freaks -- one being stl and the other dixie_boysles (or something like that). Use the search feature at the top right of the webpage and search 'Engine-Bay Clean' or something to that affect. The steps I listed are pretty close but not very detail oriented. You can also browse w/o becoming a member, just remember that you can't post until you are a confirmed member.

Back