MPG isn't what it should be?! ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MPG isn't what it should be?! ideas?

Jester1994

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Sport
Alright guys, I am going to go off and let it all out for a minute since I am tired of not getting decent gas mileage (even for an Explorer). As you can see, I have a few mods that are in my signature, so I should have upped the MPG a tad. Even though I do have a lead foot, I only average 14-15 (near 16...MAYBE) if Iam light on the gas, and travel between 70-75mph on the highway. My mielage goes down to 13 or so if I head up to 70-80 territory. I understand tha tI am pushing it with my 31in BFG's, etc, but I still shouldn' thave to bab yit all of hte time jus to barely squeeze out 15mpg average on the highway, or even smaller roads going 50-60mph. Any ideas of what I could do? I just had my plugs changed, I've disconnected th ebattery several times to reset the computer, my apten chipois specifically programmed to my MAS and explorer, so I would expect better from that even though it does add a few noticable HP and better shifting. I jus thad my tranny fluid changed, I have new bearing in the front, and there are only 95k on this baby. Any ideas? I just needed to get this out! Haha, I know we all have the same problem though.

What psi do you guys run in your BFG's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are probably getting better mpg then you think, your tires are 3 inches taller than your speedo is geared for, so one mile on your speedo might actually be 1.2 in reality I haven't done the math, but you see what I mean? Gary

In my opinion, you are getting what you should get. I have a 4.0 Auto 4x4 on stock 255/70/16's, and I get 15-16 MPG regular driving. 100% stock with 2 less cylinders and 3.73's.

Also, someone who can disprove me or agree with me on this though speak up, cause I was never told this to be fact... Speed doesnt have anything to do with gas mileage, its all about RPMs. If you are driving at 3000 RPM in 2nd doing ## MPH, and 3000 at ## MPH in OD will be getting the same gas mileage. Again, someone tell me if this is true or not, cause it sounds true to me.

You should only get 18 even in the best of conditions (little wind, no A/C running, no hills/mountains, 65 mph) so 16 isn't that bad. I can tell you from experience that going 65 rather then 70-75 is worth 2 or so mpg. Driving 65 I've gotten around 20 mpg, go up to 75 and its around 15. Your tires don't help, nor does the higher ride height and the Yakima roof rack you've got too. All things considered, I'd say you're doing about what you should. Some things to try might be increasing your tires pressure and running some Lucas fuel injector cleaner.

Yeah, I already assumed those would be the answers and agree with them. I am just frustrated because I remember the days when I first got my license 6 years ago when gas was under $1, an dnot that I put 93 in, or even 87 for that matter sometimes, it around $2 or more. It just frustrates me since I have a lead foot and it is my fault, hahah. :burnout:

Why did you recommend Lucras over other fuel injector cleaners? I have used a few different kinds before at random times to keep things clean, but I wasn thinking of running an engine/fuel system cleaner through too.

Jester1994 said:
Why did you recommend Lucras over other fuel injector cleaners? I have used a few different kinds before at random times to keep things clean, but I wasn thinking of running an engine/fuel system cleaner through too.

Working in a parts store, I've always gotten good feedback from customers on Lucas. But SeaFoam slipped my mind, its the best, and like Adlive said, you might try that instead.

Ok, I've read a few posts on here about how to use Seafoam. What do you guys think is the best method to clean an X ith 95k on it? Put the recommended amount in the intake using a vacuum hose? Then maybe put the rest in the fuel system or crankcase? I would be heading home Friday and would do that with my Dad during chrstimas weekend as well as other little repairs. Any recommendations or ideas are welcome.

Hey man - I have the same truck as you, with the same tires, in the same town. I get between 10-15 mpgs depending on what I'm doing - everything is normal, in fact, if you're pulling 13+ mpg, I should be asking you for advice. :)

V8BoatBuilder said:
Hey man - I have the same truck as you, with the same tires, in the same town. I get between 10-15 mpgs depending on what I'm doing - everything is normal, in fact, if you're pulling 13+ mpg, I should be asking you for advice. :)

Yeah, I just got back from driving to VT, then to NH and back down to mass yesterday. About 430 miles. I probably pulled about 240 out of the first gas tank. The the rest was taking from my second fillup. I averaged about 13-13.5 on the way to VT with most of hte my first tank of gas according ot hte message center. That was with 70-75 mph driivng up hilly highways, which I guess is ok for my 5.0 X, but just sucks too!!!!!! :fire:

On the way home I probably got a little better, but haven't checked.

Anyone else have issues or get frustrated trying to drive down the highway with 31's on a 5.0 at 70-75 and can't seem to keep it at 75mph with a decent avg MPG. And I'm taking about decent as in 14-15. I can't see to keep the speed between 70-80 depending upon the terrain and also average more than 13.5 mpg. But hten again, if I didn't want to throw mone yout my windows on the highway, I wouldn't have a slightly lifted, 5.0 X, wth 31's and a large yakima rocketbox on the roof. :confused:

I got 4.10s and 4x4 and getting 15-16 town. Highway 16-18

Texasplorer said:
I got 4.10s and 4x4 and getting 15-16 town. Highway 16-18

Is that with a 5.0 or 4.0 motor?

My 5.0 gets better mileage than my 4.0. 13 vs 16 with the same driving style all interstate at 75mph.....wish it was better, but oh well, what do I expect out of a truck

I have the 4.0 sohc in my 99 limited with messed up 255 70 16 michelins, im in need of a front end alignment and tune up, and i am about to break 189k miles, and I get about 22 mpg at 65 mph on the highway.

I would love to run always 65 mph on the highway, but seems like the a-holes behind me are a little pushy. So I get to speeds about 70-80mph. weeeeeeeeeee

av
Texasplorer said:
I would love to run always 65 mph on the highway, but seems like the a-holes behind me are a little pushy. So I get to speeds about 70-80mph. weeeeeeeeeee

Haha, I am one of those "a-holes," or even "Masshole" that hs the lead foo tthat is probably pusing you up there Texasplorer. No wonder I created a thread complaining about my bad 13-14 mpg on the highway, I'm pushing a brick with stuff on the roof upwards of 75-80mph. :eek: :confused:

I thought about using some seafoam and see what happens with that and performance, mpg, etc. But the cold weather (or semi-lack there of this winter) has bene detering me.

I think you're doin ok mileage-wise with your setup. Cold weather this time of year isn't the best for mileage anyway. You asked about psi on the BFGs;
I usually run 30-32 psi in my BFGs.

Rhett said:
I usually run 30-32 psi in my BFGs.

I ahve bee running mine high ever since I drove out west to Idaho from Mass this past summer. In the back I usually have about 44 and about 42 in the front. But I am starting to decrease it a bit I think since it is cold, and my X has a harsh ride in teh city. I run it so high because I want to eek out any increase in mpg that I can. But I also don't want to wear teh tires badly.

It's interesting, I get 13-145 mpg here, but I averaged 15-16 or even 16.5 to close to 17 mpg going out west. with my extire explorer packed to the brim with stuff and weight. However, I guess it is mostly flat driving out there, so that is probably why.

What do yuo guys think of that tire pressure and what do you run?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I like to run 75 - 80, but since I got my new ex, I don't like pushing it hard, would rather take care of this with the miles and all. I am aiming to break the 500k mark. ;)

Back