MPG on new Explorer body style | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MPG on new Explorer body style

On average highway trips, we have been seeing 23-24. Around town, I have seen the computer dip as low as 13.7 (that's with tons of short trips) and hang there a while (the current tank, will report back to see what actual mpg is).

Our overall average is at 21mpg. That's okay for the vehicle, but we were hoping for a little bit better around town. The Forester it replaced was getting about the same, but on premium gas. The Forester (Chip) was a blast to drive (and easy too), the Gray Ghost is much more comfortable and roomy. Both vehicles enjoyable but for very different reasons.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my opinion, the only thing I would recommend is to stay away from the Ecoboost option. I have a '12 limited FWD with Ecoboost. Sticker said 28 highway and I have yet to even come close to that. I have tried absolutely everything and my best 100% highway trip was less than 24 MPG. It seems like I'm getting what most standard V6 engines are getting. Only difference is I spent an extra $1000 plus I can't tow as much. BTW - I have almost 7500 miles on mine so I'm well past the break in period. Kind of disappointed that the dealer wouldn't let me take it on an extended test drive, either. Only good thing is Corey from the Ford Customer Service team has offered to get this looked at :) Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Today running all around and staying in pace with highway speedersat times, never faster than 78....... I averaged 21.

In my opinion, the only thing I would recommend is to stay away from the Ecoboost option. I have a '12 limited FWD with Ecoboost. Sticker said 28 highway and I have yet to even come close to that. I have tried absolutely everything and my best 100% highway trip was less than 24 MPG. It seems like I'm getting what most standard V6 engines are getting. Only difference is I spent an extra $1000 plus I can't tow as much. BTW - I have almost 7500 miles on mine so I'm well past the break in period. Kind of disappointed that the dealer wouldn't let me take it on an extended test drive, either. Only good thing is Corey from the Ford Customer Service team has offered to get this looked at :) Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like when I tried to test drive one a year ago.... maybe the dealers don't have much confidence in that number, too....

This is exactly the same situation with our 2013 EBoost. I'm very disapointed with it.....and as I've mentioned before in another post, the tailpipes on ours exhibit an unusual amount of black soot. The Dealer just laughs and of course says it just the car and is ok.....NOT SO... I will definately stay away from the EBoost, and EXP al together in the future.....best regards Plum

This is exactly the same situation with our 2013 EBoost. I'm very disapointed with it.....and as I've mentioned before in another post, the tailpipes on ours exhibit an unusual amount of black soot. The Dealer just laughs and of course says it just the car and is ok.....NOT SO... I will definately stay away from the EBoost, and EXP al together in the future.....best regards Plum

Interesting that you mention the black soot on the tailpipe. My friend had an 2.0 ecoboost Escape as a loner with about 8000 miles on it. As I was walking around checking it out, one of the things I first noticed was how amazingly sooty the tailpipes were! It had collected rather thickly on even the chrome surround. On the Gray Ghost, it has over 18,000 miles on it (yep Peter, 18,000!), and the chrome outlets are perfectly clean, only the inner pipe has any soot on it.

I guess the ecoboost motors are sooty, which seems odd in this day of emissions controls out the wazoo.

On the Gray Ghost, it has over 18,000 miles on it (yep Peter, 18,000!), and the chrome outlets are perfectly clean, only the inner pipe has any soot on it.

I guess the ecoboost motors are sooty, which seems odd in this day of emissions controls out the wazoo.
At the rate I'm going I'll be lucky to hit the 18,000 mile mark by the time my 48 month least is up in March 2015.:D Happy motoring my friend.

Peter

I'm getting 19 commute and 21 if i take a trip... a lot worse than my Accord but I needed the space so oh well. I don't think I will ever get any better unless I take a long trip going 50 the whole way down hill with no wind and nothing in the car

So far with 700 miles, I'm getting right at 22mpg with a FWD V6 Limited. That has been a 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving.

Interesting that you mention the black soot on the tailpipe. My friend had an 2.0 ecoboost Escape as a loner with about 8000 miles on it. As I was walking around checking it out, one of the things I first noticed was how amazingly sooty the tailpipes were! It had collected rather thickly on even the chrome surround. On the Gray Ghost, it has over 18,000 miles on it (yep Peter, 18,000!), and the chrome outlets are perfectly clean, only the inner pipe has any soot on it.

Our vehicle does not seem to be burning any oil, I've checked it many times, so I can only conclude the black soot is comming from a very inefficient fuel burn......As I said the Dealer just laughs, and says everyting is in spec....well, seems Fords spec on this engine is off some....this is going no where, except down the road, as soon as the time is right to get rid of it....best regards Plum

I typically get 17-18 ish in city only driving and I have seen a best of 23.8 going to Montana and back (hills/grades). I had to bring back my enclosed 16 foot utility trailer (weighs 1500 dry) last weekend and I got 14!!!! Can't wait to see what I get when I take it back with 1500 more lbs of drywall in it!

Your mileage may vary

The new Explorers (2011 -2013 model years) claim EPA MPG estimates of 17 city to 25 highway. I test drove a brand new one recently for approximately 14 miles at relatively low speed and on flat terrain. Not a lot of stop-and-go either. It only averaged about 15 mpg. Before I buy, I'd appreciate hearing what kind of mpg some of you new Explorer owners are getting.

Last night I put on my winter tires, when I took them off back in late March I reset the trip B odometer, it's been averaging ever since. The results, 14482 miles with an mpg of 24.2! OK, I have my 18" stock tires inflated to 50 psi and drive 90 miles to and from work with about 70 miles on the highway. I use cruise control at 70 mph. I am very happy with the results, and it's all wheel drive with the 3.5, previous car was a 2006 Mariner AWD with the 3.0 V6 and I was getting only slightly better, 25 mpg. For such a bigger heavier car the mpg is great. Great job Ford (on the mpg, ignoring MFT, had to get that jab in there).

My '11 Limited has averaged 18.6 over the last ~12,000 miles. We live in a small town about 3 miles outside of a larger city and about 7 miles from another small town where the office is located. Most of my trips are "country" driving, a couple of stop signs/lights and a mix of 25-35-45-55 mph roads. The trip to the office is 2 stop signs and 2 traffic lights over about 9 miles with a large portion 55 mph country road. I also make 2-4 trips "into town" per week which often include a section of interstate driving at 75 mph for ~5-8 miles. Rarely am I the fastest to leave a stop, often I am passed by a couple of cars as I roll up to speed. Sometimes I will pass folks on the country roads- I certainly don't "drive it like I stole it".

During our Thanksgiving trip I was averaging slightly over 20 on the highway, maybe 21-22? mpg.

My tires at "normal" pressure and I run mid-grade fuel. We have ethanol here.

A major factor in mileage is the ethanol content of the gas. The more ethanol in the gas the lower your mpg will be. In most places they are allowed to have up to 10% ethanol in regular gas. I've found depending on the gas station I fill up at my mileage will vary. There are several gas stations around that sell pure gas (www.pure-gas.org). Those of you who are on the lower end of the mpg range, I'd recommend trying a tank of pure gas and see if it improves your mileage. My Honda will get about 2-3 mpg more on pure gas. I'm planning on testing the Ex soon. Currently getting 21.8 ish on E10 gas.

Picked up my new Sport on Saturday and drove it back home which was over 250 miles. I averaged a little over 21mpg taking it easy and varying my speed between 55 and 85mph - its TX we have some roads where that is the legal limit:) My average has dropped to slightly below 20mpg now that I've been mostly driving in town. I haven't even broke 1000 miles on the odometer yet, so this is some very early results on my Explorer. Would like to see some other Sport owners post their MPG numbers.

2013 awd limited I had a full tank I did a test and I only got total of 183 miles from a full tank. 183 miles divide by 18 gallons thats 10 mpg... That's mix of city and highway. I live in New York

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 awd limited I had a full tank I did a test and I only got total of 183 miles from a full tank. 183 miles divide by 18 gallons thats 10 mpg... That's mix of city and highway. I live in New York
I think your mileage would be a bit better since I assume you didn't run the tank dry. I figured my last tank was about 60/40 hwy/city and my mileage was about 24 mpg or 20 mpg based on U.S. gallons. I travelled 277 miles and still had about 1/3 of a tank of gas left. I'm also running on Winter tires.
Keep in mind that the fuel in the tank also serves to cool the fuel pump so it isn't a good idea to continually run the tank very low.

Peter

Back