MPG on new Explorer body style | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MPG on new Explorer body style

I have around 12,000 miles on a 2012 Ex limited v6 and I get 21 mpg on average all day long. With all kinds of driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've run two tanks of gas through my Sport now and I've checked the computer by calculating the mpg the old fashioned way - I fill up and reset the trip odometer. Next fill up I divide the trip odometer by the amount of fuel required to top off and repeat the process. On my last two tanks I'm averaging 17.1mpg calculated manually vs about 19mpg on the computer. Curious if others are seeing such a discrepancy in the computer calculated MPG. I suspect that all of you that are reporting your MPG from the computer are really about 2mpg off. I'm not very happy with the mileage as I have been driving pretty conservative. I was hoping to get 18-19 based on the EPA rating. I've still got less than 1000miles on the engine so I hope the average goes up as the engine breaks in.

I've run two tanks of gas through my Sport now and I've checked the computer by calculating the mpg the old fashioned way - I fill up and reset the trip odometer. Next fill up I divide the trip odometer by the amount of fuel required to top off and repeat the process. On my last two tanks I'm averaging 17.1mpg calculated manually vs about 19mpg on the computer. Curious if others are seeing such a discrepancy in the computer calculated MPG. I suspect that all of you that are reporting your MPG from the computer are really about 2mpg off. I'm not very happy with the mileage as I have been driving pretty conservative. I was hoping to get 18-19 based on the EPA rating. I've still got less than 1000miles on the engine so I hope the average goes up as the engine breaks in.

I'm also seeing just over 17mpg with my Sport, and just passed 1000 miles yesterday (mix of city & highway and fairly light on the pedal).

I think your mileage would be a bit better since I assume you didn't run the tank dry. I figured my last tank was about 60/40 hwy/city and my mileage was about 24 mpg or 20 mpg based on U.S. gallons. I travelled 277 miles and still had about 1/3 of a tank of gas left. I'm also running on Winter tires.
Keep in mind that the fuel in the tank also serves to cool the fuel pump so it isn't a good idea to continually run the tank very low.

Peter

i did run the tank dry until 5 miles on the tank. total was 183 with a full tank.

any clues why am i getting such bad mpg? i just ran another full tank dry and the trip shows 179 with a 10 miles to empty.

any clues why am i getting such bad mpg? i just ran another full tank dry and the trip shows 179 with a 10 miles to empty.
Take it in and have the dealer check it out. Continually running your tank that low could cause harm to your fuel pump and possibly the injectors if any debris at the bottom of the tank is sucked into the line. After my last fill up the computer said I was good for about 336 miles based on my previous mileage figures. In Summer, when the weather was warmer, it routinely said I was good for about 385 miles after a fill up based on a roughly 60/40 city/highway split.

Peter

An update on the MPG from my Sport... My last two tanks I'm now averaging about 18.5mpg manual calculation. It seems that at about 1200 miles or so the mpg starting improving. That's also much closer to the MPG that the computer is calculating so it seems the actual mileage and what the computer is calculating is converging and I'm only seeing .5-1mpg discrepancy now. I've run some 87 and 89 octane and it does not seem to matter much either way. This is mostly highway driving but driving pretty fast. Had one stretch from just west of Weatherford to Abilene on I20 (100 miles or so) that I tailed a MB GL450 and we were running 80-90 most of the way. I filled up in Abilene and that was the best MPG I've calculated yet. Maybe the Ecoboost likes to go fast:)

I hope this info is useful to someone. I could find very little about actual mpg for the EcoBoost Explorer when I was trying to decide if I wanted to pull the trigger. When I bought it I was hoping for close to 20MPG with my mix of mostly highway driving. Seemed like a reasonable goal considering the EPA Highway is supposed to be 22mpg. Kinda doubt that I'm going to get there but I'll keep posting progress here.

On my Sport I'm averaging around 21.3 (mixed city/highway) when driving nice. My last tank got me 364 miles, and I dropped 17.1 gallons after last fill.

That being said, when I drive it how I want to drive it, I average about 17 or less.

I believe the computer pauses the calculation when you are stopped, idle, and remote start, it doesn't seem to include gas burned when not moving (making the calculation higher)

An update on the MPG from my Sport... My last two tanks I'm now averaging about 18.5mpg manual calculation. It seems that at about 1200 miles or so the mpg starting improving. That's also much closer to the MPG that the computer is calculating so it seems the actual mileage and what the computer is calculating is converging and I'm only seeing .5-1mpg discrepancy now. I've run some 87 and 89 octane and it does not seem to matter much either way. This is mostly highway driving but driving pretty fast. Had one stretch from just west of Weatherford to Abilene on I20 (100 miles or so) that I tailed a MB GL450 and we were running 80-90 most of the way. I filled up in Abilene and that was the best MPG I've calculated yet. Maybe the Ecoboost likes to go fast:)

I hope this info is useful to someone. I could find very little about actual mpg for the EcoBoost Explorer when I was trying to decide if I wanted to pull the trigger. When I bought it I was hoping for close to 20MPG with my mix of mostly highway driving. Seemed like a reasonable goal considering the EPA Highway is supposed to be 22mpg. Kinda doubt that I'm going to get there but I'll keep posting progress here.
At 80mph you're using approx. 25% more fuel than at 60mph and about 11% more than if driving 70mph.
Speed is the biggest killer of mpg.

Peter

Mpg

We have owned our Sport for about 2 weeks are are seeing about 11mpg, are you seeing any better MPG in your car yet?

Dear 13 Sport,
We just purchased a 2013 Explorer Sport and have already filled the car three times only seeing 200 miles per the tank. Our car now has 650 miles and still seeing really low MPG. Did you experience the same low MPG when you first had your Explorer?

We are driving mostly city driving with a little highway. Not overly agressive, but driving the car the way it should driven.

Your mileage may still vary

Last night I put on my winter tires, when I took them off back in late March I reset the trip B odometer, it's been averaging ever since. The results, 14482 miles with an mpg of 24.2! ...
For those interested, today I took off the snows (so get ready, it's now going to snow of course), I set Trip B when I put them on, 8302 miles on the snows at 35 psi, winter gas, cold temps, etc, I got 22.6 mpg. I have just about 34000 miles on this awd 2012 and the computer says I've averaged 23.4 mpg. So about a 1.5 mpg difference between tires composition, inflation, gas blend and temperature, no complaints from me about mpg.

The new Explorers (2011 -2013 model years) claim EPA MPG estimates of 17 city to 25 highway. I test drove a brand new one recently for approximately 14 miles at relatively low speed and on flat terrain. Not a lot of stop-and-go either. It only averaged about 15 mpg. Before I buy, I'd appreciate hearing what kind of mpg some of you new Explorer owners are getting.

If you are willing to not rise passed 2,000 RPM you will get the advertised 17 MPG in the city or a little less. Depending how many stops and goes.

I average about 19 MPG all together when driving in the highway. After 10,000 miles I did notice the MPG did get better. I went from 13 - 14 MPG to 16 - 17 in the city. I suggest using the instant fuel economy thing. It helps a BUNCH.

I just did a bit of hiway driving. These are not interstate but long roads with red lights and towns in the middle.

Sitting at 24.5 mpg. The ex is learning how i drive. When I first picked it up, a full tank range said 380km. 2nd tank read 470km and on the 3rd tank it is estimating 587km. I currently at half tank with 330km on the trip.

I have been pleased with the milage we have been getting. Mine has 20000km on it.

Returned home from visiting family this weekend. My 13 EX XLT 4WD got about 21+ on the 300+ mile trip down there and 22.2 on the return trip. I have about 5000 miles on it.

Your engine is still breaking in dude. Stop driving yourself nuts. Don't start calculating your mileage til 4000 miles. Your engine will be broke in by then, My numbers were out of whack when I first got it. I don't really care about mileage. I bought the vehicle to DRIVE it. It's a big engine in a big truck. You're not gonna get amazing mileage. I knew that going in. As everyone knows the mileage on the sticker is under perfect conditions. Some engines also are gas pigs and some aren't. Luck of the draw I guess. I am currently getting between 550 to 620 km per tank. Not driving conservatively. My numbers went up after I installed my Short Ram Intake " CAI". It will get better. You should never calculate your gas until the engine breaks in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got a base FWD with the 2.0 ecoboost motor. The wife uses it to take the kids to school and everything else she does. :D School trips are about 30 miles round trip with lots of hills on country roads. So far she is averaging @27 mpg. We have had it for only a week so far but are loving the mileage.

John

Back