mpg | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mpg

chaos58503

Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck, North Dakota( The Cold State!)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
they say my 2002 eddie bauer is suppose to get 15mpg, I get between 10 and 12. I put 255/70/r16 Yokohama Geolander AT's on to replace my factory 245/70/r16. Would that make that big of a differance in fuel economy? I also have a K&N air induction system in there from before I bought it, I cleaned the filter out hoping that would help but no go. Any answers would be greatful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think its the brand of tire. I replaced my tires with Geolander AT's and it had no effect on MPG. The slightly larger size will make a small discrepency on your odometer making it apear as though you are not getting as good of MPG. But I would think that size would not be noticeable.

Might want to clean your MAF as that K&N oil tends to migrate and gum things up causing poor MPG.

I already cleaned the filter though!

Im not talking about the filter. When you re-oil the filter some of it can migrate to the MAF sensor. MAF sensor has 2 wires that measure air volume via vibration which is translated into voltage for the computer to read. When oil or other foreign stuff gets on the wires it produces a false signal causing a decrease in MPG.

Good luck.

do u clean it with water or air or what?

My 2 cents: Generally, users here say to use spray electrical component cleaner. I THINK carb cleaner is ok, too, but get verification. When i clean my MAF (on a 96 ohv v6), i do not remove it from the filter housing. I use a couple quick, short bursts of elec. cleaner. Some use a q-tip, but actually touching the filament may cause damage, so i do not.
How up-to-date is your routine maintenance? Plugs, wires? Oxygen sensors? Thermostat? All of these things can be major contributors to your mileage troubles. At the same time, it could be none of the above - i've done all of the above things to no avail. I get 11mpg on average w/ hwy/city combined driving.

I had a full inspection recently, but I only have 37000 on the vehicle so no major maintenance should be needed

are you saying duster would work?

Explorers are notorious for getting bad gas mileage. Those 15mpg numbers are really just estimations for the perfect world and driving Ms. Daisy around. Basically all you can do is take it easy on the accelerator and try coasting when you can.

chaos58503 said:
are you saying duster would work?

Sorry for the lack of clarity, and NO, canned air does not work. At any nearby autoparts story you should be able to purchase spray liquid "electrical parts cleaner" It's similar to carb cleaner but dries faster.

Also, the MAF, is that located on the air intake right behind the filter?

On my ohv v6, you seperate the intake tube & cylindrical MAF housing from the cylindrical filter housing (theres a metal strap that cynches the two together). Seperate that and look into the intake tube - you should see the MAF filaments.

I have a K&N air system on mine and it has the filter and a black box with a deal that goes into the tubular housing. That must be the mass air flow sensor!

Yea I just bought my 02 about a month ago and have filled it up like 5 times already. It gets real ****ty gas mileage. It just sucks it up. I'm getting like 13 mpg or about 250 – 260 miles to the tank. That is just pathetic as far as I'm concerned. My buddy has a 03 Denali with a 6.0 or 6.2 liter V8 getting the same mileage. WTF is wrong with the engine in these things to make them suck so much down? I guess it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. I guess it's only costing me about $25 a month more in gas than my old car but I swear to God I can watch that needle go down when I'm driving.

edit - This is the long term 2002 Edmonds test data.

Current Odometer: 12,267
Best Fuel Economy: 19.4 mpg
Worst Fuel Economy: 9.3 mpg
Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 14.3 mpg
Body Repair Costs: None
Maintenance Costs: $60.85 for oil change and tire rotation
Problems: None

link

Ya it's better than my durango that I traded in for it! That got 8mpg in city

Since i bought mine in Nov. 01, w/105k mi., i've never gotten over 15mpg. Now there is 151k on it and mixed use (city/hwy), i may get 12mpg. City only is usually 10 or so, and i managed to get 14.5 on a recent 100 mi. trip highway only. Unfortunately, MOST of my miles come in stop-n-go city driving. Driving style is likely to be 50% of your mileage. Check out this oh-so-envious link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44372&highlight=quest

Thanks, Read some of that last night! Must of been all down hill!!LOL

My EB 4.0L gets 19/23 -- you all must be speed demons.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nevrsumr22 said:
Yea I just bought my 02 about a month ago and have filled it up like 5 times already. It gets real ****ty gas mileage. It just sucks it up. I'm getting like 13 mpg or about 250 – 260 miles to the tank. That is just pathetic as far as I'm concerned. My buddy has a 03 Denali with a 6.0 or 6.2 liter V8 getting the same mileage. WTF is wrong with the engine in these things to make them suck so much down? I guess it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. I guess it's only costing me about $25 a month more in gas than my old car but I swear to God I can watch that needle go down when I'm driving.

This is why I traded my '04 in on a Crown Vic. Bigger engine=better mileage? Sounds strange, but its true. The biggest issue is the "always on" 4x4 system in the 3rd Gen Ex. You can't full disconnect the front end so you're always burning gas. My parent's '04 YukonXL Denali gets 14 mpg at 75 mph; our 4Runner gets 20+ and goes farther on less gas (17 gal tank). And yes, I could sit in traffic and watch the gas needle drop. And with a 110 mile commute daily, that just wasn't working.

Back