mrboyle's new wheeling rig | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mrboyle's new wheeling rig

Its got color!

imgp3024-vi.jpg

IMGP3027-vi.jpg

IMGP3028-vi.jpg

Finished floor and tunnel.

IMGP3033-vi.jpg

Fancy shifter boot.

Didn't turn out bad for a $15 paint job with very little prep work.

Next step after reassembling the front and interior is deciding on what to do with the bed. My original plan fell through and I don't have the money to build a flat bed. Right now it looks like I'll just shorten the front of the old bed and run it for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good Mike:chug:

what kind of paint did you use

Good old Rustoleum enamel. $9.00 quart at Home Depot and easily touched up with a rattle can! :D

Guess now is as good a time as any to update. Progress came to an abrupt hault when work dried up, bills kept coming in and the credit card laughed at me. Here's where it currently sits.

IMGP3038-vi.jpg

Added a FROR '84-'95 front crossmemder reinforcement plate to the front frame ralis so I can mount my bumper.
IMGP3039-vi.jpg

Bumper from Addicted Offroad
sscn0028.jpg

Bought it on sale as it was cheaper to buy one already built than it was to build one. That and Scotty at Addicted builds some nice products.

Mounted the PRP's (I have actually moved the seats forward from this picture as they were a little too far back)
IMGP3040-vi.jpg

Mounted some LED tail lights. They are a neat little light that has dual circuits for the brake lights, which made it easy to wire one circuit for the brake and one for the turn. The three that are on in the picture are the tail lights. The four on the outside of the light are turn and the four on the inside are brake. They are BRIGHT and best of all DOT approved. All for $15ea.
IMGP3042-vi.jpg

Now that work is finally picking up and I am caught up on my bills I'm a couple weeks away from getting the exo/flatbed work done. This is the final plan on the flatbed design.(minus the "roll bar" mine will be tied into the exo)
bedandsliderz013-vi.jpg

IMG_1949_low-vi.jpg

Simple but still somewhat functional.

Just placed an order for a pair of these (now that my CC will let me :D ):
yb.jpg

Sucks that I'm going to miss Moab this year, but I'm not going to miss the whole wheeling season!

How are the tires for traction? I was looking at a set with the same tread pattern.

I've actually been fairly impressed with how well they do. They were on the truck when I bought it and I was planning to replace them with something more agerssive. My budget hasn't allowed that to happen, so I just ran with what I had. Haven't had it in any mud to speak of, but they did great in the snow (6"-12" of powder) and have done beyond my expectations on the rocks.

Kool, thanks for the info. Mud I plan on staying away from, rocky areas is what I plan on doing most. Of course snow is something I don't have to worry about much. :thumbsup:

Finally getting back to working on this! Truck is currently at a friends shop getting the cage/ flat bed work done.

A few teaser pics.

294171231216_8597238_8001644_n-vi.jpg

294171231216_8598273_5390565_n-vi.jpg

294171231216_8598271_1931627_n-vi.jpg

Will update as the cage work progresses.

Little update.

294171231216_8723396_4118200_n-vi.jpg

294171231216_8723457_3014130_n-vi.jpg

IMG_0018-vi.jpg

294171231216_8723394_4882627_n-vi.jpg

IMG_0015-vi.jpg

Its a little further along than the pics show. Just have a few more bars to tack in than its comming off to fully weld. Next is swapping in the 22r I have sitting in the shop, then it will go back to get some door bars and the rear down bars installed. Current plan is to have it trail worthy in early April.

Working on it! Should be finishing up the 22r swap and mounting the 37's tomarrow. Then hopefully I'll have enough time to mount the shoulder harnesses, swap the rear springs & shocks and tie up all the loose ends in order to make it to Moab for big Saturday. I'll get some pics up sometime this weekend.

Out with the old!
IMG_0039-vi.jpg

In with the new(er).
IMG_0073-vi.jpg

Not a major power increase, but it runs 100andfiftybillion times better than the over carbed 20r, it doesn't leak oil like a fountain and the timing chain isn't trying to rattle its way through the front cover.

Cleaned up some of the wireing while I was in there.

Before:
IMGP2752-vi.jpg

IMGP2748-vi.jpg

After:
IMG_0058-vi.jpg

IMGP2817-vi.jpg

Where it sits as of tonight:
IMG_0064-vi.jpg

Detail shots of the cage:
IMG_0065-vi.jpg

IMG_0066-vi.jpg

IMG_0067-vi.jpg

IMG_0068-vi.jpg

Turn signals are temporary (gotta keep it somewhat street legal)
IMG_0070-vi.jpg

IMG_0071-vi.jpg

Looking good Mike!

Nice Mike. Hopefully one of these years I can make it out that way to do some wheeling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back