mrboyle's new wheeling rig | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mrboyle's new wheeling rig

Even worse my grandma in law lives 45 min outside of Grand Junction. One of these days....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Made it to EJS last Saturday. Ran Hell's Revenge. Other than the over stiff rear springs (getting replaced tomarrow) and my P/S pump failing it ran flawless. Walked right up Hell's Gate like it wasn't even there.

IMG_2036-vi.jpg

IMG_2037-vi.jpg

02-vi.jpg

03-vi.jpg

The PRP seats that started the whole rebuild. I have never had a more comfortable seat for trail riding. Add in the Crow harnesses and its so much more comfortable to drive in now.

IMG_2039-vi.jpg

It will eventually get a floor, but I don't think I will be adding anymore tube.

Got the new rear springs mounted today. I traded a friend some stuff for a set of 5" Trail Gear springs off his old 4runner that he turned into a buggy over the winter. Mounted them using a set of RuffStuff frenched hangers.

IMG_78-vi.jpg

Followed the install recomendations on TG's site which recomends moving the hanger 6" forward. The resulting shackle angle isn't perfect but far greater than what I had before.

IMG_0086-vi.jpg

Finished up by mounting some 12" travel Bilsteins.

IMG_0090-vi.jpg

Only real problem is, the springs moved the rear axle back far enough that I'm going to have to get the driveshaft retubed. Hope I can get my boss to pull the friend card with the driveline shop tomarrow as I have to be at Cruise Moab with the truck (getting paid to wheel) on Wed. morning.

Shafts just a little short!
IMG_0085-vi.jpg

I really like them as well. The friend that built the cage and helped with the springs has a Torchmate plasma table that he cut the parts out on. Makes for an easy way to make good looking parts.

Rig looks awsome Mike, cant wait to see it in personally back in action in Moab, just couple more weeks. Love the exo, btw!

Long over due update. I've mostly just been wheeling it every chance I get, but I have done a few updates to the truck in the past two years since I last updated this.

During the summer of '11 I ripped the passenger side upper shock mount off the frame (poor factory welds) so I upgraded them to a set of Trail Gear weld in shock hoops. Wheeled it that way for a couple more trips and put it away for the winter.

IMG_0733-vi.jpg

Having fun on one of the waterfalls on Billings Cannyon.

One of the biggest issues I'd had with the truck since I bought it was the steering (or lack of). With the Lockwrong in the front axle steering was almost impossible on slickrock or dropping waterfals, so for Christmas '11 I bought myself a PSC hydro assist setup.
When I bought the truck I wasn't impressed with where the steering box was mounted. So when it came time to install the hydro assist I decided to move the box and add some reinforcement to the framerail at the same time.
Where it was:
1335634425545-vi.jpg

As you can see the p.o. left all the origional bracketry on the frame. You can also see his quality welding job on the frame tube. :rolleyes:
1335636401707-vi.jpg

Part way through cleaning the inner rail.
1335640909025-vi.jpg

Ready for mount.
1335640997429-vi.jpg

I used one of FROR's mount plate kits. Located the front hole in line with the stock push-pull box's front hole. This moved the box forward 2" from where it was previously. I would have liked to have gone further, but it would have taken a lot more cutting of the core support than I wanted to do.
1335649272520-vi.jpg

Built a mount for the PSC resivor.
1335717459773-vi.jpg

1335717487160-vi.jpg

Got the box mounted up and covered the bare metal with some paint.
1335732332862-vi.jpg

Installed the ram.
1335732357149-vi.jpg

And this is where things fell apart (like they always do for me). When I went to plumb everything I realized the fittings on the box (I bought from a member on Pirate) were wrong so I found some fittings and when I tried to swap them out I found that whoever had done the drill & tap on the box had completely destroyed the holes and used JB weld to hold the fittings into place. Luckily a friend had a box and was able to get it tapped for me so I could make a deadline I was trying to beat. Got everything installed, bled and it works great. The assist is hands down one of the best mods I've done to the truck since I bought it.

Haven't done much to it since. It sat most of last year due to being layed off and not being able to afford to do anything with it. This past winter I replaced the seat covers on the PRP's (what a PITA) and that's about it. My next planned project is to relocate the fuel tank to the rear of the frame (BII style) and skin the flat bed. I also plan to add some more tube to the exo to help reinforce it some. After that its time to redo the front suspension.

..I'm glad you posted up as I wanted to find some specs on your truck..:D

..After following you to camp in Moab a couple nights I noticed that our trucks were evenly matched going down the road and up the highway hills so I was curious..

..I used to have the 20R in a previous truck (77 Hilux w/no power anything). I liked that truck second to my Ranger and it had the water cooled carburetor which I had to rebuild every year..

..Anyways, nice build and anxiously waiting to see how the bed turns out..:popcorn:

Funny thing is, with the 5.29 gears and the 37's the factory speedometer is slmost perfect.

Back