Much Needed Help Regarding 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Much Needed Help Regarding 4x4

george4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
My 2005 is now stuck in 4x4 "High." When it is in 4x4 High I have noticed that when turning left the wheel clunks and feels like it is going to come off. HOWEVER, when it WAS in 4x4 AUTO I had NO problems. None! [the wheel bearings are new]

Can someone tell me what my problem is and offer a way to repair the problem?

I live in Ecuador and everything is soooo expensive here. Imagine a 2005 Ford Explorer selling for $20k.

I mention this because if the repair is complicated and expensive in the US it will be mind boggling here. So maybe there is a way to for me to disable the 4x4 electronically so that it will only be in 2 wheel drive? This keeps me from spending money and makes the car operate perfectly.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have any diagnostics such as ForScan? If so perhaps you could read the data from the wheel speed/transfer case sensors. Sometimes this can be caused by a bad hub or wheel speed sensor failing, and the on board computer sees it as wheel slip, commanding 4x4. [I should ask is the dashboard indicator showing 4x4 HI?]

@drdoom: I do not have a scanner.

The instrument cluster is showing 4x4 High FULL TIME. I cannot get it out of 4x4 high. So I pulled fuse numbers 17 and 18 to dismantle the 4x4 high. The truck is now running in 2 wheel drive and has no more issues with sounding like the wheel is going to pop off when I turn a corner. With that being said... I would love to know what needs to be done so the 4x4 works like it should.

Thank you for taking time to help me!

I have a service manual for 2005 in our shop, maybe I can find something in there.

I would start with the switch, and see if it has failed. Did this start out with you being in 4wd, and not being able to take it out?

@george4
Seems something is causing the Electronic Clutch to be always energized. What can cause this? Power is turned ON to the clutch. This can only be caused by, IMO: Wheel Speed Sensor failure, or 4WD Module failure. I believe the 4X4 HIGH switch, being momentary contact, alerts the Module to turn the clutch ON. If the switch is stuck CLOSED, I am not sure how the Module would interpret that. Wheel Speed Sensor failure should turn ABS light ON; is it ON? 4WD Module failure should throw a code of such trouble being present.

Unable to read codes, I would price out a new 4X4 Module, possibly cheapest if ordered from the States. imp

Imp, I was thinking along those same lines, until George confirmed the dash indicator showing 4HI. Now I wonder if there is a relay that could be malfunctioning, or if there even is a relay in the command hierarchy.

Sorry I haven't picked my manuals up yet.

George I picked up my manuals.

When you turn the key to start, do all the 4x4 indicators prove out?

With the engine running does 4x4hi flash in a pattern of three?

Can you get 4low?

Imp, I was thinking along those same lines, until George confirmed the dash indicator showing 4HI. Now I wonder if there is a relay that could be malfunctioning, or if there even is a relay in the command hierarchy.

Sorry I haven't picked my manuals up yet.
@drdoom
There is. (are). Two of them, possibly three, built into the 4X4 Module, which is sealed. Other models, like my '04 Explorer have the 2 relays mounted remotely, without any Module, that function being done within the PCM. The 2 relays are "TC High to Low" and "TC Low to High". They drive the TC shift motor. The 3rd, is a function within my PCM, maybe not an electromechanical relay, likely solid state switch, turns magnetic clutch on and off. 2003 and earlier, with the Module, use it to control the clutch. imp

Back