Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by JDraper, March 3, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. skygeezer

skygeezer New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 Explorer
      I read here that you have to slide two metal clips onto the fender flange for the fronts to accept metal screws. Were these clips easy to get on?

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. breshi

breshi Member

2013 Ex Limited FWD V6
      yes. if I recall, you have to pull back the plastic lip to expose the metal edge so you can slide on the clip.

4. Roberth78

Roberth78 New Member

City, State:
      Southern California
      2014 Ford Explorer XLT
      Yeah exactly, it quickly slides on. It's a super easy install once you sort of look at what you're doing and take a peek at what screws your removing etc...

5. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

2013 Explorer
      All, do all fasteners/screws come with the OEM flaps when you purchase ?

6. astro

astro New Member

City, State:
      Melbourne, FL
      '14 Ex. Sport
      Agreed. It is super easy. Take you time though, because realigning the plastic moldings when putting the guards in can mess with the panel lines a little.

7. breshi

breshi Member

2013 Ex Limited FWD V6
      yes and instructions.

8. huskerdude

huskerdude New Member

City, State:
      Nebraska
      2013 Explorer XLT
      Yes, just put them on the front,fairly easy, had to drill (1)hole on each side. Will do the rear ones next !

9. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

2013 Explorer
      Let us know how the rears go and send pics of install if you can

Thanks !

[

QUOTE=huskerdude;3275770]Yes, just put them on the front,fairly easy, had to drill (1)hole on each side. Will do the rear ones next ![/QUOTE]

10. skygeezer

skygeezer New Member

2014 Explorer
      I just put my fronts on this weekend. They look good except there is a gap at the very top of them when looking along the side of the vehicle. They fit the contour well below this but I couldn't get this gap to close up at the top. Does anyone else have this?

11. skygeezer

skygeezer New Member

2014 Explorer
      I just installed the fronts this weekend. Fit is good but there is about an 1/8" gap at the top but they hug the contour of the plastic trim below that. Does anyone else have a gap at the top when looking along the side of the vehicle? I can't figure out how to close that up. Any recommendations?

12. Dr Plastic

Dr Plastic Active Member

City, State:
      Newport News, Virginia
      '15 Limited FWD
      I too had a gap.

13. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Yup. Mine were dealer installed.

Peter

Attached Files:

14. LukerDooker

LukerDooker Active Member

City, State:
      N.E.
      2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
    15. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      That seems to be the case since the gap is there in both installation scenarios.

Peter

16. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

2013 Explorer
      Thanks Peter for summarizing. I hope there may be a way to close the gap or, I don't know move the installation point to help but that may not be the case. Lastly can anyone comment if the instructions show drill bit size needed or not. If not can anyone share that info here in what bit size they use ?

Thanks

17. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      If you get the OEM ones they are the same for all models. Have attached pictures of mine and moved your thread to this existing on as per my PM.

Peter

Attached Files:

18. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

2013 Explorer
      All
      I installed the flaps and look good. Had some minor issues and a question. Issues first. On the rears the instructions show the 3 items to remove from the existing lining as screws with a screwdriver but 2 are actually nuts, minor gripe aside the middle screw to remove on the rears is plastic and those heads were stripped on both. What part can I get to replace these and can I get from a NAPA etc ?

Ok now on the question/problem. On the front flaps I cannot complete the last piece to the bottom side of the flap. For those that have installed it, it is step 7 of the Ford instructions. Specifically they seem to be referring to the plastic screw and housing you removed in step # from the inside wheel well. However, when using this in step 7 there is not enough depth in the track to push the screw in, how did all those here accomplish this step ?

I can send an image via PM if that helps. Again I am referring to step 7 of the Ford instructions if that helps.

Hope you can help with the 2 questions, thanks as always.

BTW the Ford OEM cargo liner (the one that covers the entire 3rd row when flat) is fantastic and well worth the money !

WC

19. Roberth78

Roberth78 New Member

City, State:
      Southern California
      2014 Ford Explorer XLT
      In terms of the gap, I saw that and stuck some double sided adhesive tape. Wider 3m tape and pressed hard. You can't see the tape at all and now the mudflap actually holds on that upper end much better. This was a few weeks ago when I installed and have already washed car and still not even a budge in terms of un-sticking from car. The tape may give over time, I wouldn't say its a solve all but a definite help if done prior to installing so that once on, you can pull the backing and press them after they are in place.

20. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

2013 Explorer
      Mine doesn't seem to have that bad a gap but like I said I cannot figure out step 7 on the instructions and which screw I am meant to use their as the depth of the screw track/hole is not deep enough. As I cannot find the instructions online or post a picture to this message that I have taken not sure how to show which area exactly I am talking about

21. awake33

awake33 New Member

City, State:
      Auburn, WA
      2014 Explorer LTD
      Installed mine yesterday. The rears were a cake walk; the front set was a pain in the arse. Ended up buying some automotive rivets from Lowes for the top of the front set and bottom of the front right flap which eventually broke from pushing on it because the parts you are supposed to reuse are not long enough.

For the top gap on the front I drilled a new hole and used 1/4 plastic screw rivets. Overall, I'm satisfied with the results.

image.jpg

On a side note, I'm not thrilled about having purchased a subscription and then discovering the flakey image attachment system. I tried uploading two photos multiple times, but it only gives me the option of selecting a single image (whatever image I last uploaded).

22. skygeezer

skygeezer New Member

2014 Explorer
      For the top gap on the front I drilled a new hole and used 1/4 plastic screw rivets. Overall, I'm satisfied with the results.

Where did you drill the new hole? Was it thru sheet metal or thru plastic? The existing hole for the splash guard is so far toward the inner part of the splash guard that it doesn't do any good in helping to close the gap that I have.

23. awake33

awake33 New Member

City, State:
      Auburn, WA
      2014 Explorer LTD
      Good point, the hole i drilled was through plastic only, and it was nearly 3/4" closer to the outside of the well.

image.jpg

Yes, the interface makes that clear. But it would not function properly for me. I dare say that I'm an IT Guru (read: IT Nerd who happens to work in IT professionally), and there is not much a user can do wrong in this circumstance. Six radio buttons, each corresponding to a selected image to upload. I tried multiple times to upload two images. My only guess at this point is that it may have something to do with my having just purchased a membership. Stranger things have happened with databases.

24. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Member

2013 Explorer
      What did you use on the side for the fronts (the holes were the nylon fixers were before) at the part where it attaches to the side of the existing plastic trim and has a screw track rather than hole ?

I couldn't find anything long enough at parts stores that would fit so I used a screw in the end for now but not overly happy on that idea. Any suggestions would be great. Will also try and post a pic

Thanks

WC

25. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Active Member

City, State:
      Fort Mill, SC
      '07 E.Bauer & '14 XLT 4WD
      Installation of mud flaps

I was able to buy a set of Ford-logo'ed OEM front and rear mud flaps for $88 including shipping from a very popular on-line retailer. This is half the cost of ordering them from the factory.

Installation on the front was easy because the steering could be turned very tight to leave room for installation. Rear installation instructions said to remove the rear wheels. This is why I bother to post...

With a very small cresant wrench and a short handle phillips-head screw driver I was able to remove and re-install the original screws after installing the mud flap. There is an additional snap-rivet insert that requires a hole to be drilled. There's no room to drill from the front unless the rear tire is removed like the instructions suggest.

So the trick is to use a hole punch to put a dent in the rear plastic panel that aligns with the hole in the front. Laying on the ground it's easy to drill the hole from the back even with the wheel still on. Make sure dent made by the hole punch is toward the tire so it guides the drill bit. And, make sure you don't drill into the tire. Once the hole is drilled it's easy to push in the snap rivet.

26. nick3941sd

nick3941sd Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Just installed my the other day, basically used the same method, quite easy once you get started. I also got mine online (ebay) Fairway Ford in Ohio for 85.00 shipped. They have other OEM accessories at great prices as well.