• Register Today It's free!

Muffler replacement?? What type?

Rcostilla6

Reaction score
City, State
Pleasanton, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4D
Looking to replace my stock muffler with a Cherry Bomb glasspack. Any suggestions as to which model length and width to buy. Also if theres a better substitute for a Cherry Bomb please let me know. 1st post, sorry ifnotin the right forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a 6 or 8 cylinder?

It's going to be a DIY tube adaptation and muffler sits parallel to exhaust route so you should be able to get quite a few different lengths and diameters to fit.

Frankly I would not want something that loud so to me the better substitute would be just about anything resembling the OEM muffler, with the quality level depending on how long you expect (or are willing to work at it) to keep the vehicle on the road under your ownership.

Did it "need" the muffler replaced? If so it may be time for an entire exhaust replacement while you're under there. You can get pre-bend pipes with bolt in flange(s) at places like Advanced Auto Parts for some model years and engine configs, relatively inexpensively after online coupon code discounts.

Alot to do but then it depends on the budget, I have a Flowmaster 2.5 , 1 in 2 out infront of pass side tire, sounds very good I think. Glass pack sounds good on a 8 cly dual, but to me on a single pipe in a 6 cly not that good of a sound but thats me.

IIRC on my 4.0 SOHC OEM (whole exhaust +) muffler it has 2 pipes in, 1 out... significantly higher cost than 1 in, 1 out.

The PO deleted the muffler all together on my 5.0 Mounty. I was surprised at how reasonable the sound level was. It is just a mild rumble as I am going down the freeway. I guess just having the 4 cats in there did the trick. I actually get allot of good comments on how it sounds.

Back