Multiple Cylinder Misfires 1, 2 and 3 and System too lean on Banks 1 and 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple Cylinder Misfires 1, 2 and 3 and System too lean on Banks 1 and 2

mp3803

Reaction score
City, State
Akron, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
I am having multiple issues with my 1997 Ford Explorer. Engine = 4.0 SOHC, Vin E. I am by no means a mechanic, but I can do my own work.

When I first start the engine, the RPMs highly fluctuate, a heavy vibration, and the engine rev's on its own. I have been experiencing very low MPG and heavy loss of engine power. The vehicle seems to operate pretty well after the engine warms up. In the cold, on first run, the explorer wants to stall so I have to hit the gas. When the car is in gear during the first runs after cool down, the RPMs will cause the vehicle to "take off" on its own until I sit there holding the brakes for approx 30 seconds.

The check engine light came on so I bought a code reader/scanner (autel.us 309) which provides real time scanning as well. I have reset the light numerous times and still get the same codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, and P0171.

I know the P0300 - P0303 = Multiple cylinder misfires / cylinders 1 - 3
I know the P0171 = System too lean Bank 1

A new code of P0174 (System too lean Bank 2) has came up recently as well.

I have a new Idler pulley and fuel filter in the mail (in which i dont know how to change without the proper filter tools).

I have recently cleaned the MAF and replaced the spark plugs. I don't have the money to constantly "replace parts to find the problem". I have no way to conduct a smoke test. I am in a foreign country that really dont deal with US Spec vehicles (even the ford dealers). I have to order parts from autozone.com. My situation sucks.

Anyone help or have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the main reason for this behavior with this engine is vacuum leaks. possibilities include upper and lower intake gaskets/o-rings, PCV hoses and elbow, any leaking vacuum hoses/lines, cracked/split intake tube between MAF and throttle body and even the vacuum reservoir ball which is located in the passenger side front fender. it sounds like you've got a pretty good leak. intake o-ring problems are very common, and the one thing that can improve once the engine warms up, as the o-rings swell a bit with heat.

after warmup codes?

I suggest you let the engine warm up, clear the codes and then see if any occur while the engine is warm. If not, then I suspect your intake gaskets are leaking as koda2000 suggested. See Starting my 00M12 Installation

If you still get the same codes when the engine is warm then see: Lean condition procedure

I will order a gasket set... before I do that ill do that warm test in the morning

2001 ford explorer sporttrac misfire cylinder1

New spark plug wire's, new spark plugs, new injector and a cherry red exhaust only passanger side red hot exhaust same side as number 1 cylinder misfire. beleave the bogging from engine due to misfire need help on why no fire on cylinder 1 checked wire sparkpluge and injector. Thank u for any advise.

Back