Multiple electric issue '96

sztsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
Hi,

Suddenly my indicator relay begin to buzzing and same time the power windows, power roof, interior lights, wipers gone, but power seats, central lock still working. Checked fuses and relays and ground cables... if somebody knows where is the entire relay which charges for or met same trouble before, please, give a hand!

Thanks a lot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone recently had a similar issue. It is the GEM computer feeling sick. That controls all those features. It is located on the left side of the radio. If you remove the radio, you can try wiggling the connector to see if it helps.

Checked all connections and wires on, removed the Gem as well, unfortunately the problrm not been solved.

Next thing you can do is download an app called Forscan to your PC. It is totally free and works with your inexpensive Torque OBD II adapter. Is a very through scan tool, and you could test every GEM function. You will be able to run comprehensive tests on your GEM, saving you probably $200 in diagnostic fees at the dealer. For example, you can see what the GEM sees when you turn your wiper switch. You can also activate wipers, windows, etc.

If you don't have an adapter, purchase the one called BAFX on Amazon. It works very well for me.

About 3 months ago I lost my windows, wipers, dome light and door chime. Without a scan, from prior posts here I self diagnosed as them GEM. Bought a used on a the bay for $35. The day I was going to replace the gem I opened the door and the lights were on with all other functions working.

If it goes out again I have another gem but as of now if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

About 3 months ago I lost my windows, wipers, dome light and door chime. Without a scan, from prior posts here I self diagnosed as them GEM. Bought a used on a the bay for $35. The day I was going to replace the gem I opened the door and the lights were on with all other functions working.

If it goes out again I have another gem but as of now if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Probably good advice, the tests are more to pinpoint bad wiring. Many cases GEM issues were fixed by just reseating wires, or they just clear up because of temperature changes and a loose internal component.

A GEM has to be matched closely to the vehicle year and type. A V8 GEM may be totally different from a v6. And a 97 would be very different from a 96 because the 4x4 system is quite different. There wasn't a concept of programming a non-PCM module back then.

Thanks guys, probably the GEM but not sure this caused the problem, i guess one of the wire gone and secondly killed the GEM. I really love my Explorer as my family as well. But the mechaniker said same so I really don't know my next step.

Check out eBay unless you want to pull from a junkyard which costs time. They have model/year specific gems listed that have been tested. About $40 shipped. It's a plug and play fix. To reprogramming or dealer visit is required. Nothing lost but an hours time by giving it a try.

Or you could luck out like me and in a month or two it starts working again. I think a bit of moisture got to mine and the warmer temps fixed it.

Can somebody provide me with electric diagram for GEM module and relays, please? I have Haynes manual, but it's not say anything about! Many thanks!

My GEM was causing intermittent issues with the power windows and interior lights that I traced back to the GEM not operating the accessory delay relay correctly. Bought a used GEM from one of the forum vendors for $20-25; plugged it in and everything worked fine. I believe we matched up numbers on the GEM, but its been awhile and I have no memory left. Good luck.

Right, striped down the dash as far as I could, seems all wires work, but, after disassembled the GEM found a possibly defect. Any idea, if install the other void, how can I void to damage it, if I have a broken wire somewhere as well,please?

Any idea, if install the other void, how can I void to damage it, if I have a broken wire somewhere as well,please?

Can you elaborate? I don't understand what you mean.

Hi all,

I gave last chance to my well loved Explorer and ordered another GEM. Changed yesterday and EVERYTHING WORKS AGAIN!!!! Thanm you for all for suggestions and experience! I'm so happy!

Back