Multiple suspension noises | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

I gave the dealer the copy of your service invoice to help diagnose my vehicle. It is the same noise and I hope the same fix. In dealer today /12/23/2019. This will be the 2nd attempt at finding and fixing this annoying issue.
Parts were ordered. They didn't say which parts. They are keeping till after Christmas and maybe longer. Has anyone else found a fix ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Parts were ordered. They didn't say which parts. They are keeping till after Christmas and maybe longer. Has anyone else found a fix ?

If they are not in the local warehouse, you wont get the parts for several weeks due to the holiday shutdown. All plants and distributions are shut down for 2 weeks.

Hope they are not ordering shocks or struts.. as that is just a waste. I'd inquire so you are not wasting your time.. and report back.

If they are not in the local warehouse, you wont get the parts for several weeks due to the holiday shutdown. All plants and distributions are shut down for 2 weeks.

Hope they are not ordering shocks or struts.. as that is just a waste. I'd inquire so you are not wasting your time.. and report back.
Add suspension links to the list of things they shouldn’t bother replacing.

Add suspension links to the list of things they shouldn’t bother replacing.
I will print out this thread and bring with me to dealer thursday when I inquire about parts ordered. The service writer didn't know ? I work at a GM dealer and find that not plausible. I am looking for a buy back if this is not resolved. What is everyone else buying instead if they do the buyback ? Just curious. Not liking any mid size GM so that is not an option for me.

......... What is everyone else buying instead if they do the buyback ? Just curious. Not liking any mid size GM so that is not an option for me.
If I recall, one member went with the 2019 Expedition and another with the Aviator.

Peter

So, the dealer, Bo Beuckman Ford ordered a strut for my Platinum. I don't expect this to fix the noise issue as others have reported. I will be looking for a buy back after third ticket for this problem. It is a real shame that Ford has not figured out this problem. Except for the noise, I love the vehicle. Will probably buy an F150 to replace Explorer. Loved my 2014 lariat. Dealer has copy of attached work order from Ricky G.
View attachment 175038 I turned the photo around for you so it's easier to read

Any news on others dealing with this issue ? I contacted Ford and they were less than helpful. They said buyback was totally up to service manager. Thoughts ?

Any news on others dealing with this issue ? I contacted Ford and they were less than helpful. They said buyback was totally up to service manager. Thoughts ?
That’s quite different from what I experienced. My service manager’s role was to attempt fixes as directed by Ford, and report back to them with the results (failures). The customer service person I worked with handled the repurchase request and approval process. After the approval was granted, my case was moved to the RAV (repurchase) team for finalization. I found them very helpful and the process was very easy.

I really don't know how the process works but it would seem the decision should be made by Ford since the are the ones buying the vehicle back, not the dealer. Ford might want to contact the service manager for info but the final decision should be Ford's.

Peter

Has zero to do with the SM. It is a Ford process with a Ford approval. Only thing the SM does is try to have your vehicle fixed up till you meet the LL.

LL process is in your warranty guide.

Vehicle is ready for pickup tomorrow, Jan 2, 2020. "Strut fixed it", says service writer. We will see in the morning.

The loaner I have been driving, 2020 Explorer xlt does not have the noise. Not in the same league as the Platinum though.

What is your build date? I’m thinking about the Platinum also but ordering one so I’m hoping the problem is behind me.

Just purchased a 2020 Platinum and noticed after the first day, a subtle noise coming from the front end when going over slight bumps at lower speeds. This noise can be replicated by opening the hood, and gently banging on the strut brace that connects the strut tops when the car is stationary, engine off. Its the black brace that spans across the engine. The noise appears to be coming from the front bumper area, and appears to be coming from the lower drivers side area. Its currently in the shop now for this, plus the illuminated door sill on the drivers side does not light up, and a piece of the "R" on the illuminated sill on the passenger side writing is missing.

I am in complete agreement with many on this board, that the price paid for the quality received is lacking in certain areas, but not all thankfully. I am however becoming less impressed with whats happening at Ford under the current leadership of bean counters that appear to be influencing the part quality in favor of larger margins. We also have a 2018 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0L Diesel truck. The quality of this truck completely meets its price tag expectations. Cant say that for the new Explorer unfortunately.

We have however on the F150 most certainly noticed the absence of several previous luxuries such as the lack of multi colored ambient lighting (which is now only blue), but the multi-colored ambient was present in 2017's and before. Removed on the 2018's. On my 2018, it has a CD player...on the 2019...that went away although the price increased. I am thinking that the general public don't notice these removals...but we do. What else have they robbed that we can't see?....

Well, its becoming easier to see..... the latest 2020 edition of the Explorer, even the platinum has been substantially cheapened out compared to previous models. The doors when closing have a cheap rattle instead of a nice 'thunk'. The lower parts of the door trims are cheap ass plastic, with no soft inserts like before. These are a few elements we noticed..... I am trying to keep a positive outlook for this vehicle, but it does bother me a lot that Ford is trying to pear down to save costs and to increase margins, but now...we can actually see through what they have done with this model....to the point of it being blatantly obvious on the eyes.

I will update on the front end noise, and am committed to finding the source of it, even if the dealership can't. Other than that, it does drive really nicely, and I am hoping that it will be as good as I think it could be, despite the damage done by the bloody bean counters so far.

Thanks for letting me join the forum. Regards /m

Went in to dealer to pick up my "fixed Explorer". Did a test drive and the noise remains. 10 mph seems to be the "sweet spot" for the noise on mine. They did replace right front strut. Did another test drive with the shop foreman who also heard the noise and they will be keeping it for further evaluation. Latest theory is could be "fuel tank related". Shop foreman said they have never done a "buyback" at their dealership. First time for everything I guess. The dealership has been as good as can be expected in this.I am running out the clock on this till Lemon Law kicks in. Will go from there. I just cant live with the noise.

What is your build date? I’m thinking about the Platinum also but ordering one so I’m hoping the problem is behind me.
I would be hesitant to order one. Test drive the ones on the lot and verify "no noise" seems like a better plan. If you can find what you want. Other than the noise I love mine.

UPDATE ON SUSPENSION NOISE......I have 2600 miles on the vehicle, 2000 of those miles have been on I-75 to & from the Tampa area to north of Atlanta. No noise on the open road, as soon as I get on city roads the noise is there, at about 20-35 MPH. Back to open road driving............the car wanders on the road, ( no windy conditions ) very annoying. No shaking or vibrations, just wanders, all road surfaces. ( tires ? ) The other thing is MPG. I have not gotten to 20 MPG at all. Best has been 19.9 using regular gas. I would think with a 10 speed tranny I would get better. Maybe not ! Will also have them look at memory for my driving position, will not keep settings in memory. Have to readjust every time I restart vehicle. As soon as I can get a appointment the car goes in, they can keep it until issues are fixed. I will request a ST as the loaner ! Over all not really happy with the ST BUT I will give them the benefit of doubt and give them a chance to fix the issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep in mind that neither Ford or the dealer is under no obligation to provide a loaner/rental as stated in your Warranty Guide. Having said that, it seems that more dealers are providing them. Doing so, would be at their expense. Good luck Bill.

Peter

Back