1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Multiple suspension noises

Discussion in 'Stock 2020 Ford Explorer & Aviator' started by tbird462002, September 27, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Sharin

Sharin Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2020 Platinum
    Sounds like you've got my car's twin, except for the wiper blades. Maybe I discover it when it rains next time. You can probably fix the wander by deflating the tires to the posted number...32 or 33. Every time I take mine to the shop it comes back with 35 to 40 lbs. It rides like a rock and chases every line in the road. I have read here that some of the dealers don't bother with the factory pressure and leave you with more than 40lbs. Mine for example. Tomorrow is my day to call the Ford number for the suspension noise.

Last edited by a moderator: January 27, 2020
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Bill Holt

Bill Holt Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brandon, Fl
    2020 st
    As I said , my dealer sent my repair order off to Ford. My dealer calls me today with a reply back from Ford..... " If the customers complaint could be verified when performing road test with the customer then proceed with SSM 48328, which supports using a chassis ear to help isolate source of a suspension system related noise ". Also, " To help support if a normal is common recommend comparing operation to that of a couple of like units ( same model and model year ) operated under the same conditions to see if similar operation is exhibited. If similar operation is expected then no repair attempts should be performed, in this case you could complete and submit a PTS Reports A Vehicle Concern Report ".

So what do you make of this reply !?

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    It sounds like a logical answer. Ford usually requires a complaint to be verified before authorizing any repairs. On the other hand, it also sounds as though Ford is asking the dealer to do some 'trouble finding' on their behalf. I would think that several of these "Vehicle Concern Reports" have already been submitted by other dealers. So the bottom line seems to be that Ford is not aware of this ongoing issue.

Peter

5. Bill Holt

Bill Holt Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brandon, Fl
    2020 st
    So I will set up a appointment for next week to check out the noise, that is if the dealer has the mentioned chassis ear available !

6. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Considering the buybacks already and the amount of struts being ordered and not fixing the issue, I would say ford is aware of the issue (with no fix).

I have seen there before when several have the same issue and Ford trying to say, well if they all do it then it is normal. Insure hope this isnt the stand they are going to try taking on this issue because it is not going to fly.

7. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I agree. But also knowing Ford's known lack of communication skills, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the various departments involved haven't been communicating with each other.:rolleyes:

Peter

8. KTrabue

KTrabue New Member

City, State:
    CO
    2020 Explorer ST
    ST is in the shop currently for the front end suspension noise and the fuel tank sloshing/clunking issue. The service advisor advised me this evening that sway bar linkages are on order as well as a new fuel tank. Parts are due to be in Friday or Monday. Fingers crossed.

9. irl4512

irl4512 New Member

City, State:
    Grimes, IA
    2020 Explorer ST
    Don’t get your hopes up! I went through all the same crap with no resolution. Links, struts, 4 or 5 “inspections” before I requested the buyback. Miss the ST, but not the issues. This has been going on for quite a few months now. I’m starting to agree with the opinion of a few others on here that there’s a fundamental design flaw that they haven’t been able to solve, or know they can’t.

• Like Like x 1
  10. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    So what do you have now? Your profile still shows the ST.

Peter

11. irl4512

irl4512 New Member

City, State:
    Grimes, IA
    2020 Explorer ST
    Oops, sorry! I’ve been staying on the thread to see if anything ends up being resolved. We bought a 2019 Expedition Limited after the Explorer. Very happy with it so far. Would love to go back to the Explorer in time, after some of the bugs are worked out.

12. Forddealz

Forddealz Active Member

City, State:
    NY
    2020 Ford Explorer ST
    Fundamental design flaw? Then every ST or Explorer would have clunking noise.

13. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    I'm willing to bet you they di, just some cant hear it or separate the difference between road noise when hitting bumps. My wife still cant hear it but I can. I have to pay very close attention but I can separate the 2 when listening closely. If the radio is on or windows are down,ai cant hear it.. it has to be quiet.

I will say that the sound has zero impact in ride quality. There is no damage or anything breaking. It is like the passenger side mirror, it's just damn annoying to listen to.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kevin Weitz

Kevin Weitz New Member

City, State:
    Auburn CA
    2015 Ford Explorer XLT

In my personal experience with my Ford Explorer XLT 2015, Marin County Ford AND Ford MoCo did not conform to the California Lemon Law. The rear air conditioning system did not work and it took years of negotiating to get them to identify the problem and fix it. I eventually in frustration had to contact the California Consumer Protection Agency to force Ford to fix the problem under the Lemon Law. Given this problem and many others with Fords I have owned, as a former Ford admirer for decades, I am sad to say I will never buy another Ford. .

• Like Like x 1
  15. Justinwht

Justinwht Active Member

96 XLT, 00 XLS, 96 XLT
    Just throwing this out for other Explorer owners about front end noise. I have a 1996, 1999, and 2000 4WD Explorers. Noise sources I've fixed are:

Slight banging noise on one side - worn bushing in link (a six inch bolt). Replaced both of them on all three of mine.

Squishy noise when driving and duplicated by pressing down on hood - worn out shocks.

Banging noise on rough road - worn out bushing on lower (aka outer) control arm. If one bushing worn out, all the others may be close behind. Replace both upper (aka inner) wishbone and both lower control triangle plate arms.

Rumbling noise when turning - rack and pinion assy, and it's tie rod worn.

Stuttering when turning - low hydraulic (brake) fluid or pump going out, or belt needs replacing.

16. DrewsnewPlatinum

DrewsnewPlatinum New Member

City, State:
    Eureka Mo
    2020 Platinum
    Buyback team denied my buyback because "it has not been 30 business days out of service and only three tickets opened on repairs so far". Feb 6 is 30 business days and my lawyer is on standby if required. The dealer is trying to advocate a buyback for me. The 2019 Expeditions will be gone before this is resolved. very disgusted with Ford corporate.

17. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Kevin.:wave:

Peter

18. DrewsnewPlatinum

City, State:
    Eureka Mo
    2020 Platinum
    My Ford rep re-submitted my buy back request. I am at 30 business days out of service on Feb. 6, and that meets the requirement for Missouri's lemon law. How long did it take for those that got buyback to receive payment from Ford once requirements met ? Thanks.

19. irl4512

irl4512 New Member

City, State:
    Grimes, IA
    2020 Explorer ST
    I asked them to expedite the process so I could take advantage of a remaining 2019 Expedition. I think it was just under three weeks from buyback authorization until the time I signed off on the offer they sent for the Explorer. The rebate on a replacement Ford was emailed almost immediately after I signed off on the explorer.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. DrewsnewPlatinum

City, State:
    Eureka Mo
    2020 Platinum
    The way Ford corporate has treated me so far, Im not so sure I will buy another Ford. I Like the Expedition but by time this concludes, doubt any 2019 will be left.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DrewsnewPlatinum

City, State:
    Eureka Mo
    2020 Platinum
    Ford has authorized buyback for my Explorer. 30 business days out of service to qualify in Missouri.