1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Must haves before it goes in the crusher

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by motohobo, May 17, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. motohobo

motohobo New Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Explorer XL
    I've been driving my 94 Explorer for seven years now and it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned so I see no reason to stop driving it...except that it's ancient and things are bound to fail.

There's a 1994 XLT waiting to be crushed at the local junkyard. I have a standard XL with manual windows and 5 speed stick, so I can't use the XLT's power window or transmission stuff.

Is there anything else I should pull of the old hulk before they turn it into a 3 foot cube of scrap? For instance, last week I discovered it's impossible to source the bolt that holds the idler pulley on. I'm looking for tips about any similar little proprietary doohickeys I might need in the future. Recommendations greatly appreciated...

Thanks -- Van

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ~X~

~X~ Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Southern Oregon
    2000 XLT
    I see guys needing air intake tubes, might be worth having a spare if its still good. Also, the rubber 90° to the charcoal canister. Maybe e-brake pedal assembly? Any dash/interior parts if they're in nice condition. Rear window mechanisms from 2nd gen are a nice upgrade. I picked up the dust cover sheets behind the door panels from 2nd gen and traced them onto reflectix hoping to keep the rattles down. I also keep a couple spare one touch modules, dome light lenses if theyre good, ECM, the ash tray sliders too. That little plastic stuff comes in handy.

Does it have a manual transfer case by any chance? Manual hubs, 4:11's? Spare radius arms for extending & radius arm brackets if they're bolted and not wallowed out.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  4. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Other than what was mentioned....
    Door seals if good.
    Head & Tail light assemblies.
    Spindles & Knuckles.
    Coil packs, Relays, & fuses.
    Drive shafts, & front axles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. motohobo

motohobo New Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    1994 Explorer XL
    I'll look at the things listed above. There are two things right now on my Explorer t now there are two things that don't and never have worked -- the rear ABS (the light is always on) and the 4 wheel drive. Can anyone make any suggestions as to what I should look at on the hulk to see if either of these things can be made operable?

6. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Look at the threads made here for those issues. Plenty of detailed information here, covering just about everything on your 94.

To get your search going, look for threads about hubs, and transfercase shift motor issues.

• Like Like x 1
  7. motohobo

motohobo New Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    1994 Explorer XL
  8. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bemidji, MN
    94 4x4 Sport 88k
    There is a control module (amplifier) for the cruise control that is hard to find. If you remove the glove box, it's tucked in above the cavity. Be very careful, the plastic case will be brittle. As I recall, it is held in place with a very small bolt head, like 5mm or smaller.

If it has a mirror with compass/thermometer, that might be a nice little upgrade. I don't know if the XLT has that.

I'd grab every fuse and relay I could find.

I'd get the one-touch window control module in the driver's door panel.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MrQ

MrQ Fuel Pump Replacer Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Stafford, TX
    '93 Limited
    Callsign:
    MrQ
    Grab the front seat frame(s) if they are electric and the wire harness for it under the carpet or at least the connectors. Overhead console and wiring harness. You can add those in to your manual fairly easily. The plastic interior door handles. Those are notorious for breaking. Grab the MAF and a spare head off the engine if you can. Headliner if it's any good. The little clip that holds the hood support in place and the clips for the rod for the spare tight jack above the radiator. Underhood light and harness if it has it. Speedometer cable (if its a 4wd and so is yours it will be the right length same is true if both are 2wd. Shakey needle is caused by a sticky cable) Rob all the relays and the fuses.

• Like Like x 1
  10. motohobo

motohobo New Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    1994 Explorer XL
    You are an optimist, sir, this rig has no cruise control and no one-touch anything, in fact, in fact it only came with three wheels and I had to pay extra for the fourth! It's an XL Standard...poor-man's version.

11. massacre

massacre Elite Explorer

1994 Explorer XLT
    Wiper module under dash

12. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    Spare engine sensors, coil pack, ignition module.

13. motohobo

motohobo New Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    1994 Explorer XL
    That's for all your suggestions -- I went to visit the old purple hulk at the junkyard yesterday and it got dumped in a disgusting mudhole, and the engine is pretty badly corroded and all the windows bashed out. Shame -- it was in pretty good shape before they moved it. Anyway, I'm not getting under for any amount of money and I'll see what I can snag from above. But I will put the folks there on notice that if they see a 1st gen again, they should give me a call before trashing it.