My '07 Limited V8 'Garage Thread' | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My '07 Limited V8 'Garage Thread'

I think the correct fix would be a new radiator, but it seems to be an inherent issue with aluminum radiators with plastic tanks. IMHO the best fix would be an all-aluminum radiator but those would have to be custom-made or find a universal piece and adapt it to fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying to not have to build one, that's a lot of time I don't have right now.

I will check my radiator guy hopefully Saturday, see what he says.

I suppose I could adapt an all aluminum one...would just have to run a external trans cooler.

What kind of paint did you use on the steps? How are they holding up to being stepped on and brushed against?

They look amazing when fresh. Im not sure how the straight black would look on my Eddie Baurer, but the steps are faded so bad I have to do something.

They are holding up pretty well, no flaking, peeling, or chipping yet!

I used the 2X Rust-Oleum satin from Walmart.

Edit...April 15, 2017...
I noticed the other day that the paint on the stainless trim was flaking off...I obviously didn't prep it correctly. I just wanted to get the paint on the steps.

SwfuMi.jpg

I will be trying something different on the stainless trim...just not sure what I want to use yet!

I'm a new Explorer owner, only owned my '07 4.6 for a few days. I've enjoyed seeing what you've done with yours. I may be new to my 4.6 3V, but I've had a 4.6 2V in a Crown Vic for a few years. Just wondering if those little green drops you were seeing in your driveway should have been gold colored. I didn't think green coolant was compatible with gold (motorcraft premium gold or Zerex G-05).

You are right, it should have the Motorcraft Gold coolant in it. I decided to use the green coolant we have in bulk in our shop until I can actually keep the coolant in the system.

I plan on changing the radiator (again) and all the hoses, and possibly the water pump while I'm in there.
I just have to figure out what radiator to use.

The Explorer I picked up Saturday (was a trade in at a Chrysler dealership) has reddish coolant. I talked to the service manager and he thinks it's one of these generic coolants that you add the proper additives for the vehicle. Whatever it is I don't want it. I'll have to wait to the weather gets nicer before I can get around to changing it. It also had a small Quaker State oil filter that I don't think belonged on it either. I changed it out for the correct Motorcraft one already.

I'm not planning on the extensive modifications like you've done, but I'm enjoying seeing your work. I plan to add a navigation stereo, backup camera and that's about it.

Thank you, I appreciate it!
After I get the cooling system leak fixed, I have some other stuff I want to do...u-joints, wheel bearings, etc.
I want to get all the pain in the ass stuff done, then I can get back to the fun stuff!

Were you able to determine if your coolant overflow reservoir was leaking afterall? I'm suspicious of mine- same ride.

I don't think my old tank was leaking, there was no evidence on the shroud underneath. I replaced it hoping it was that and not the radiator, no such luck.

One thing I did a long time ago on my 2010 is switch to a 16 psi radiator cap, from the stock 21 psi. Not sure why ford felt the need for the extra pressure, but i haven't had any overheating or boilover issues with the more standard 16psi cap... I may just be lucky but i am still on the original radiator with no issues...

One thing I did a long time ago on my 2010 is switch to a 16 psi radiator cap, from the stock 21 psi. Not sure why ford felt the need for the extra pressure, but i haven't had any overheating or boilover issues with the more standard 16psi cap... I may just be lucky but i am still on the original radiator with no issues...

V8, or V6?

I might try a lower psi cap when I change the radiator (again)...might try a Spectra Premium one this time.

I think I'll use the one Ford one that comes out for a prototype aluminum tank version.

I might try a lower psi cap when I change the radiator (again)...might try a Spectra Premium one this time.

I think I'll use the one Ford one that comes out for a prototype aluminum tank version.

I installed the Spectre Premium on my 2006 EB V8 about 4 years ago and haven't had any problems since. I now have a coolant leak right where the thermostat housing is located.. Crappy part is that it's not the thermostat housing. I wish it were. The leak appears to be coming from the aluminum crossover tube that the thermostat housing bolts to.

That's great to hear about the Spectra Premium radiator, thanks for the info!

That sucks if it's the crossover tube. I haven't really looked at it too close, but it doesn't sound like a fun job.

I was more bummed out that I will have to buy a complete Intake assembly just to fix this coolant leak.. But judging by these two images of the coolant bypass and the intake...

coolant%20bypass.jpg

They are separate parts and the coolant bypass can go through an O-ring swap.... Of course the Intake will have to come off... but with Fel-Pro gasket set "MS96687-1" I should be good to go in about 3 hours max.

As for the Spectre radiator.... There are several threads here where people have used the Spectre Premium brand and they have had great success as well. This is what let me to go with the Spectre myself. I also use a Spectre on my 1990 Lincoln Mark VII.

Good luck on your radiator replacement.......(again)

Did you ever get the rear spoiler mounted up. I'm curious as to how it looks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever get the rear spoiler mounted up. I'm curious as to how it looks.
I haven't done anything with it yet...I think I'm going to put it on my wife's Explorer.
I have something different I want to try on mine. Unfortunately, all that 'fun' stuff is on hold until I do the radiator again, and I want to do u-joints and wheel bearings too.

Back