My 09 Ranger took an awful hit....... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 09 Ranger took an awful hit.......

mjmcdowell

Reaction score
City, State
nys
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009ranger4x4 sport
Well I went to the Overland Rally in NC, it was fun, drove the BRP down and back...... WOW!!! Anyway I was about 60 miles south of Binghampton NY in PA on my way home (200 mi. left) and was hit by some jerk trying to backup then change on ramps on I 81. Hit the right front at the front door jamb then my forward movement caused damage as I was pushed left into some guard rails on the left which thankfully prevented going into an off ramp and traffic exiting. Sooooooo the tally is right door and half back door crunched/sprung. left side step bent up and drivers side door sprung with some minor sheet metal damage (right side is a mess... fender, door, mirror) and... she will not start, great!!!! Well the jerk, (we will keep this G rated ) got several tickets, I none and he left, his old POS white van was not to bad at all. So now I have to be flat bedded to a shop (thank God for AAA) the driver said the fuel shut off might have been activated and he reached in and then told me to try and start it....... it fired right up!! we then managed to get the pass. side door(s) shut and locked also! Things are looking up! I also was able to latch the drivers side door after I sucked in my gut, and then drove it a little ways... no problems. Well the short of it is although there was some wind noise, I was able to drive her home with no issues! even at 65/70 mph! Oh the fuel cans, my little Kayak, action packers and spare did not budge an inch! the long story now begins, Insurance, body shop estimates etc, etc and no truck of a while, who knows...... Anyway I guess its all another story, I named her.. Suzy she kept me safe with narry a bump, jerk, whiplash , or anything, oh I guess we proved again, Ford tough! (you should have seen the looks I got, muddy, kitted out and bashed up truck sailing down the interstate), even got a couple of thumbs up! More as the story continues. stay safe, mjmcdowell

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Sorry to hear about this happening to you Mike..:(

...Get her fixed back up good and get her ready for the Moab Expedition..:biggthump

..BTW, we have a vendor in Pa that sells great used parts and may be able to help you out if replacing instead of repairing is the route you want to go..His handle here is Kbabiak..

Sorry to hear about that, Mike... Like you said "Ford Tough"!

Sheet metal is easy to fix. Don't forget to check your alignment - just in case.

Get her fixed, and ready for Moab!

My Ranger mishap

Ted, Scott thanks for the words of encouragement, things moved fast today! In the shop next monday! the shop is approved by my Ins. co. so the parts will be ordered forthe fix and will also include 2 new sliders...er...... steps and a new step bumper, also the left front fender was damaged by the guard rail so the old damage there will be no more also! just like new! I'll be ready for Moab for sure! oh... a new wheel, rt. front..... (the one I dinged on that "water fall" ) replaced also. Scott, they have the check allingment noted and all will be good. My wife has given the ok for Moab next year, and did I mention my new Hella "Black Magic" lights are great!! hey guy's, stay safe, mjmcdowell

Great to hear, Michael!

BTW, you need to post up some pictures (of ME) from Death Valley... ;)

^^^^..still hasn't posted part 2 of 3 yet and is asking others to hurry up and post...:p:

...Mike...Now's the time to see if you can sneak in a lift and some on board air while the trucks in the shop..;)

^^^^... still using the excuse of others not posting to avoid posting himself...:rolleyes:

photo posting.....

Well........ umm......... er.... I'm just slow, still trying to get them all sorted out, and now I have a whole bunch more to go thru... yes Scott,, I will post photos of your truck, and I have some on site accident shots of mine I still have to look at in a larger format. I will get there in time, stay safe, mjmcdowell

..Haha...Mike, he was just trying to ruffle my feathers...:D

...Scott gets cranky in the morning..:p:

Sorry Mike - I was referring to Ted...

But, you did get some shots of me coming down Mengal Pass. I would like to see those, as well as the ones I took of you.

Back