1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My 1996 Explorer tells me that it's always full.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by whydidi buyaford, July 10, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. whydidi buyaford

whydidi buyaford New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 explorer
    how do i test the fuel gaguge it telling me it is full i know it not because i drive it but when i go to add gas it spits out the gas alowong only a couple gallons:exporange

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 4df150

4df150 Member

City, State:
    Monticello, MS
    2010 Explorer EB 4x4 4.0
    The gas gauge float sensor in the gas tank has gone bad. I had this happen to my X a couple of years ago. I got a good used fuel pump gauge float sensor assembly off of E-bay for 25% of what Ford wanted for a new one. Ran my tank till it was almost empty. Dropped the gas tank. Changed out fuel pump assembly. Reinstalled tank, gauge has been working fine... Good Luck...:chug:

4. whydidi buyaford

whydidi buyaford New Member

1996 explorer
    my fuel pump is new less then year old this has nothing to do with fuel pump does it?

5. 4df150

4df150 Member

City, State:
    Monticello, MS
    2010 Explorer EB 4x4 4.0
    The fuel level sending unit is built together with the fuel pump. The fuel pump by itself can be replaced in the assembly. You may have a loose connection where the wire plugs into the gauge sending unit on top of the tank. You will still need to drop the tank to check it.

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars