My 1997 Ranger has no reverse. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1997 Ranger has no reverse.

After cleaning up the fluid on my garage floor, I installed the transfer case and tried out the truck. I still don't have any reverse so I pushed it out of the garage and drove through the neighborhood. I have engine braking in 1st but the transmission does not want to shift up unless I really let off on the accelerator (might be a little low on fluid since a lot of it was on the floor). Is this a VB and solenoid problem since I do have engine braking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hooked up the pressure gauge and pressures are low at 65-70 psi in reverse, neutral and drive. Revving the engine up in gear does not seem to change the pressure much, you can see some fluctuation but it doesn't really change much. Since I am getting pressure, I would surmise that my pump is OK but that the VB could be leaking somewhere. What is it that regulates the pressure so it does not get too high? Even at 40 mph, it would not go over 70-75 psi.

The fluid level is OK and it will go into all the gears but it does not like to shift unless I run the RPM up and let off the throttle to let it shift. I do get engine braking in low gear after a little bit of waiting for it.

When first shifting to reverse, you can hear the change below and feel a slight bump but there is still no movement in reverse.

The table in ATSG says that the line pressure in reverse should be between 138 and 168 PSI. Suggests that yours is a bit low. My line pressure in reverse is in the normal range, and I, too get a bump going into reverse but no movement. In addition, mine will not go forward in drive unless I kill OD. I get the bump going into drive but like reverse, no forward motion.
Joe

hello greasemanicure

just wondering if you ever found a cure for your trans, I have a 97 Ranger that is doing the same thing, any suggestions??

I finally gave up and bought a rebuilt tranny with a good warranty. I had one expert tell me that I probably had a cracked center support based on everything that I had tried with no success.

Back