My 2WD 1998 XLT Project AGAIN (prerunner) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2WD 1998 XLT Project AGAIN (prerunner)

DirtJunky

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Callsign
DirtJunky
Everything Ford spent their time and design on suspension will be junked and stomped on:troops:

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr 2WD (White)
Everything cut, bent, drilled and Tig welded by myself only (unless specified)

Before i did long travel i did a previous write up with Spindle lift, shackles, SOA, and TT

My 2wd 1998 xlt lift spindles and SOA project

Second owner, first was my grandmother who only used it for grocceries. So its propper to say this will be my whoop eating grocerie getter.

As current as last time updated:

Front Suspension:
2.5x14 Swayaway RaceRunner coilovers
2.5x4 King Bump-stops
Equal length twin J-beams and radius arms(1.75"x0.125" DOM tubing and 3/16" plating) with 1995 F-150 beam ends.
Radius arm mounts (Welded by Fierce Offroad)
Swing steer (WIY from Baker Fabrications)
Beam pivot mounts (WIY from Baker Fabrications)
Adjustable limitor straps
5/8 wheel studs

Rear Suspension:
Giant 64s leaf springs
Trussed Ford 9"
Currently ripped apart

Other Modifications:
Internal roll cage
Engine cage
Rear fuel cell
Dash (Mcneil Racing)
Dual tire rack
Bumpers front/rear
Front fiberglass (FiberWerx extreme F150 front clip)
Rear glass (Mcneil Racing)
Wheel wells cut from door to tail light, and up to window for full bump)
Lots of frame strengthening (3/16" plating on everything welded to frame)

20180505_101941.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool beans!

Fückin sweet dude

DJ, love the idea. if you decide to ditch those spindles, remember the "other" florida guy on here, with a 2wd, doing a buildup, (that would be me), LOL.

All the way in Tally. Haha won't need em when I'm done tho. Other Expo is now dead..R.I.P. Exroller
But for sure man. I did a write up on here when I lifted it

Yes i have read it, extremely impressed. i have lifted my 2wd as much as i can, w/o going to spindles. i have a write up on it also. it is in my signature.

Also DJ, my ex, and my son, both live down in palm harbor, Tarpon springs area, so i could send them cash, and you co do the cash deal, and my ex. or my son, would mail em to me. just saying. :)

If your still in need of some spindles by the time I do my setup I'd be more then happy to work something out man

Cool, sounds great. I really do want to get mine close to where yours is now. With what i have i could already get larger tires, but i want to wait until i get the height i WANT, before spending the money on new rubber.

Started playing around a bit and somehow fit a Dodge 1500 roll bar INSIDE the Exploder

IMG_20130315_143833_zpsc6172a40.jpg

20130423_192006_zpsdb76dc27.jpg

Dont trust those bars...those are light bars not roll bars. They most likely are made of .065 tube so if you were in an accident it will crumple around anyone sitting in that rear seat.

Also it needs to land on the frame to make it truly safe and made from .120 tubing. Even mild steel is going to be way better than that.

Not trying to be harsh just warning you of the danger.

DJ. i sent you a PM, but my question was this. Can you do the spindle lift with the factory 15" rims, and second, what has to be "ground off, or down" in order to use them.
On above comment, i do agree, about it being bolted to the frame, but i disagree, with the fact that it offers no protection. look at the frame inside the roof, it is weaker than that roll bar is, and even in a roll, the roof framing, offers a great deal of protection, (i have seen one rolled on the interstate.), so by adding "additional" roll protection, to what is already built in, is a good idea, and not a deathtrap for rear passengers. And yes, it looks cool as heck!!! do it, and enjoy it!!

On above comment, i do agree, about it being bolted to the frame, but i disagree, with the fact that it offers no protection. look at the frame inside the roof, it is weaker than that roll bar is, and even in a roll, the roof framing, offers a great deal of protection, (i have seen one rolled on the interstate.), so by adding "additional" roll protection, to what is already built in, is a good idea, and not a deathtrap for rear passengers. And yes, it looks cool as heck!!! do it, and enjoy it!!

OK think about it this way, say it does hold up now where is the weakest point, right at the top of the windshield. So if a rollover happens that will crush inwards hurting the drive and passenger in the front. I'm just trying to help not criticize. I own a fabrication shop in Vegas and I get people asking for a just a rear hoop all the time. After telling them this everyone quickly changes their minds. I just don't want anyone to ge hurt by having a false sense of security.

I ran out of time, room and $$ but I went b-c-d pillar. No A at this time

Agreed. But I like something over my head atleast.

As a former Police officer, i have worked many accidents. i remember a chevy LUV pick-up rollover, (as i recall 3 flips actually), the front, "hood" grill etc, was mashed extremely badly, the rear bed area was bent very badly as well, the "Light bar" was also bent to one side, but with it sitting on it's roof, only that bar, and a bit of the cracked windshield, and hood, were touching. The young, and slightly intoxicated driver was standing outside the truck when we arrived on scene. his only concern was, his dad was gonna kill him for wrecking the truck. (NOT my dad is gonna be so upset, he has to come to my funeral!!!) They are not the end all solution, but any ADDITIONAL <<<Key word here, bracing helps. DJ. isn't removing what he has; to replace with the lightbar/roll cage, he is adding to it. As i said, this is real world experience, In the end it is up to him, but anytime someone wants to add, additional equipment for possible safety.. Go For it.....

Dont trust those bars...those are light bars not roll bars. They most likely are made of .065 tube so if you were in an accident it will crumple around anyone sitting in that rear seat.

Also it needs to land on the frame to make it truly safe and made from .120 tubing. Even mild steel is going to be way better than that.

Not trying to be harsh just warning you of the danger.

This roll bar came out of a full size dodge 1500.
It was not a production bar it was made with. 25 tubing from the original owner who was a fab/welder

OK think about it this way, say it does hold up now where is the weakest point, right at the top of the windshield. So if a rollover happens that will crush inwards hurting the drive and passenger in the front. I'm just trying to help not criticize. I own a fabrication shop in Vegas and I get people asking for a just a rear hoop all the time. After telling them this everyone quickly changes their minds. I just don't want anyone to ge hurt by having a false sense of security.

If your the owner of of prerunnermaniac. Com I'm on your site quite a bit and know some of your work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back